• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tired of getting ripped apart verbally

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
This is something I feel constantly. Both in real life and online, I tend to get ripped apart verbally. It’s ok for others to say what they want about me even if they mischaracterize me; some people even think it’s acceptable to call me a misogynist and a potential serial killer. But if I say anything to defend myself, I get a fight on my hands. It baffles me how I get so much rage directed at me and also discourages me from even trying to become more social. I don’t see how mischaracterizing me and putting me down constantly is going to help me salvage my self-esteem and make me feel encouraged to develop myself. I don’t think I am “whining”, I just want my voice heard. Do others just want me to hate myself?

Last edited:
I hope that it wasn't on this site. I have been following your search for connection and have been happy seeing your progress and sad at your setbacks. I wish you happiness, @Markness .

Last edited:
That sucks and I'm sorry you've had to go through that.
Why do they call you a misogynist, if you don't mind me asking?

I have some experience with this,...but as I have aged and have become more self-aware I am more likely to take into account perspective and context. This is not to say that I don't let my mouth open before thinking on occasion. When I was younger, I would just let things fly out of my mouth,...sometimes it was in some attempt to be witty and get a laugh,...and it would backfire with some very concerned and disturbing looks from others. My experience with Facebook,...I was consistently getting nasty feedback, ...then I would have to go on some sort of long explanation,...which then led to a long back and forth,...it just sucked. Dropped Facebook. It was partially my fault for responding to a stupid meme or some false information that was not fact checked,...drove me nuts,...of course there was always a troll just waiting to pounce on whatever was said. I don't understand the mentality of a troll or why the pervasive false information being posted and shared.

The online social media experience, for the most part, has always been a negative one,...with exception to this site, which, is more or less, a support group.

I totally get the frustration and anger with being mischaracterized,...in part, because it is false, but also because people are spreading the lie about you. I get angry when I am being accused of being angry, when I wasn't. "You were angry and yelled at me!",....literally, I am as monotone as anyone you'll ever meet,...I've never yelled at anyone before,...and I was never angry. No one except my wife has seen me angry,...and it's only been about 3 times in my life. People see and read what they want to see,...it may be more about their personality and outlook on life, rather than yours,...but it is still quite frustrating to deal with people like that.

I am not sure, but I think it might have to do with a bit of "Aspie honesty",...the stereotypical "open book", share too much, will tell you the truth whether or not you want to hear it,...without any sense of "social grace". Social politeness often includes not reacting and keeping your mouth shut, even when things are said and done that are questionable. I see this all the time at work,...the doctors are really good at this,...keeping that even keel, a little smile,...but they are not going to get into a potential argument when a patient or family member is spouting off some lunatic-fringe healthcare conspiracy theory under the influence of stress and fear.

In short, it may not be you, per se,...but rather it may say more about the people you are interacting with,...and how you're handling it.

Last edited:
In short, it may not be you, per se,...but rather it may say more about the people you are interacting with,...and how you're handling it.
Amen! I have had to remind myself sometimes not to say something that will reflect poorly on me. So, I think in that context, @Markness is hearing things that says more about those responding than himself. But I know how I felt when I was struggling and the way disparaging comments made me feel. I also think that until one has a strong sense of self one takes negative comments more seriously and it is hard to shake the feelings.

This is something I feel constantly. Both in real life and online, I tend to get ripped apart verbally. It’s ok for others to say what they want about me even if they mischaracterize me; some people even think it’s acceptable to call me a misogynist and a potential serial killer. But if I say anything to defend myself, I get a fight on my hands. It baffles me how I get so much rage directed at me and also discourages me from even trying to become more social. I don’t see how mischaracterizing me and putting me down constantly is going to help me salvage my self-esteem and make me feel encouraged to develop myself. I don’t think I am “whining”, I just want my voice heard. Do others just want me to hate myself?
“Do others just want me to hate myself?”
On the contrary, as for me anyway:

I think you have a deep well of courage that’s really unique.

I continue to say things I shouldn’t. I also get ripped apart - to the point I left a relationship. I’m glad for those who can think & edit their speech while in the midst of socializing. I’m not one of them. I’ve been told it is a bad character flaw but I think it’s part of my ASD.

Last edited:
I continue to say things I shouldn’t. I also get ripped apart - to the point I left a relationship. I’m glad for those who can think & edit their speech while in the midst of socializing. I’m not one of them. I’ve been told it is a bad character flaw but I think it’s part of my ASD.
I have done that too. It has taken my entire life to get to the point where I put in a pause to think about what I want to say before I utter it.

That sucks and I'm sorry you've had to go through that.
Why do they call you a misogynist, if you don't mind me asking?

It’s really uncalled for, in my opinion. The worst happened when I got jumped by an entire Discord channel. It was one where you could express your emotions and I expressed my struggles in trying to establish a romantic relationship. So many people took it badly, called me a misogynist even though I did not bash women at all, and even demanded I apologize for making them “uncomfortable”! I later found out that entire server fell apart. Good riddance!

There is one asperger YouTuber that stated that one of the characteristics is feeling the need be understood and spending an inordinate amount of time perfecting posts. I see that in myself. I also take that to mean that a NT has that to a lesser degree. To take that one step further, I charactorize that as not taking what someone writes serious. It is blatantly obvious and something to remember. They don’t take what they write serious.

One thing I know is true, most folk aren't thinking about others when they write their posts. They are thinking about their own experiences, and they don't notice that what they have said is unkind or untrue.

There are internet trolls of course. Those folk just say anything to get folk riled up for their own entertainment. I am not talking about them.

I find it best to just ignore the posts you don't like. Just pretend they aren't even there.

Yes, it sucks to be mischaracterized but anyone with real character won't care that some internet stranger has formed an opinion that is contrary to their own experience. Anyone with real character won't be consulting others opinion at all.

You know it is not true. Your friends know it is not true. There are no other opinion that matters.

Last edited:
This is something I feel constantly. Both in real life and online, I tend to get ripped apart verbally. It’s ok for others to say what they want about me even if they mischaracterize me; some people even think it’s acceptable to call me a misogynist and a potential serial killer.

But if I say anything to defend myself, I get a fight on my hands. It baffles me how I get so much rage directed at me and also discourages me from even trying to become more social. I don’t see how mischaracterizing me and putting me down constantly is going to help me salvage my self-esteem and make me feel encouraged to develop myself. I don’t think I am “whining”, I just want my voice heard. Do others just want me to hate myself?

They are expressing their opinion and may not have intentionally tried to mischaracterize you.

The people I've heard call people misogynist and other names all exhibited signs of serious mental illness such as being overly emotional or hysterical. These kind of people have nasty labels (such as racist, xenophobic, homophobic, transphobic, bigoted, deplorable, etc.) for everyone who disagrees with them. It's a defense mechanism that some emotionally fragile people with a low self-esteem use to feel like they're better than everyone else. Normal sane people I talk to never use those terms so I'd attribute their rage due to hysteria, ignore them, and find more tolerant and open-minded people to talk to who won't judge you for expressing a different opinion.

Last edited:
Dude. Be aware of that possibility when looking for a girlfriend. And careful. Saw a lot of that in my uncle's marriage.

I wish I could say it hasn’t been here but it has. Thank you for your positive words.
Thank you @Markness. Like with other people here I value them and if I had a magic wand of happiness I would bless them all. I enjoy your posts. Don't know why, but I am happy learning about the progress you are making in finding connection.

Your over-the-top self-pitying is probably a factor in this whole situation.

How was I supposed to know in the first place, though? I was told constantly “You don’t live in Africa!” as well as “Let go and let God!” I was given extreme messages, nothing in the middle ground and wasn’t allowed to learn past certain boundaries.

How was I supposed to know in the first place, though? I was told constantly “You don’t live in Africa!” as well as “Let go and let God!” I was given extreme messages, nothing in the middle ground and wasn’t allowed to learn past certain boundaries.

These kind of messages are not directed at you in a personal way. I think you have misunderstood that point. I say that with friendliness in my intent! I hold nothing but affection for you.

Communication on the internet can be so very tricky. Printed messages do not carry the friendly tone of voice or feel very "warm". That is too bad!

Personally, I want you to feel better and I hope you do.

How was I supposed to know in the first place, though? I was told constantly “You don’t live in Africa!” as well as “Let go and let God!” I was given extreme messages, nothing in the middle ground, and wasn’t allowed to learn past certain boundaries.
What is that supposed to mean?

As @Suzette has said in last post. It's very difficult to get tone across on text & as a result, things intended to be helpful/ nice do not come out that way. Try not to take things too personally (I know, way easier said than done). Just the way you are wired, we are wired.
Get away from things for a bit, e.g. when the work break starts over this December holidays, I'm taking a week off. With taking a week off, I mean that I'm going "rustic" camping with just the basics and absolutely no internet, no technology, just open space and fresh air to breath and try to unwind.
The unwind part has always been a bit of trouble, but use it to meditate and work out all that stress of people on the internet and everyday life.

New Threads

Top Bottom