• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tip of the Tongue

balder

I've been worried cause lately (starting from some months ago) this has happened too much. Most times when I want to tell/ask something to someone, I forget the main word that would give meaning to the phrase. I get really embarassed when that happens and I am not able remember it, though I can remember it some minutes later. Does this use to happen to anyone else here?

What I mean is this exactly problem: Tip of the tongue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Way too often, lol

Weirdly enough I have it more often with speech than when writing. But my verbal capabilities and non-verbal are a big difference, so I guess that explains why I'm not consistent.

I sometimes tend to forget stuff in general as well. Could be my ADHD mind playing tricks with me though.

Sometimes I mix up languages and am short of the dutch word though I know the correct word in another 6 languages or so.

It happens almost exclusively when I speak, though I can remember an occasion lately when I spent about 20 minutes trying to remember the word "procrastination" :sticky_confused:

It happens almost exclusively when I speak, though I can remember an occasion lately when I spent about 20 minutes trying to remember the word "procrastination" :sticky_confused:

That in fact is irony, since most people will probably think you've been procrastinating while you actually were searching for the right word, lol

All the time, but it happens more if i'm in discomfort or near a meltdown. This disconnection adds to my frustrations and can hasten a meltdown or shutdown.

Happens to me all the time.........more so with names, titles of movies, etc. but also with 'regular words'. Then it bugs the heck out of me until I can remember what it was that I was trying to say! It usually comes to me.............like 2 hours later!!! Then it bursts out of my mouth, loudly, no matter where I am! Can be kinda embarassing.. :p

It usually comes to me.............like 2 hours later!!! Then it bursts out of my mouth, loudly, no matter where I am! Can be kinda embarassing.. :p

I experience the same thing--that vocal eruption over a long sought after word.
At first, it's like I'm looking for something I was just using. Just like looking through all the cupboards for the salt. then I find it in the dining room and its all "Salt! there you are."
If it happens over an actual item it's not as disconcerting, more like the end of a successful treasure hunt, or a serendipitous discovery.

With unattached names, verbs and adjectives its weirder.

Its especially weird if the word I was looking for came from a foreign language.

New Threads

Top Bottom