• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tics worse at work

AngelWings17

Now, being an Aspie I naturally deal with motor and verbal tics. They're not bad at all when I'm at home or in a relaxed setting. Or even in a familiar store. But work is a totally different story. My tics come alive every time I clock in to my job. My hands shake and twitch constantly, my head shakes, my eyes twitch/squint, I even utter my vocal "Uuhhh" often. Sometimes I even tense up a bit. At least my vocal "Mera" doesn't come out or the need to constantly crack my neck. And this is all because of the stress and the fact that I don't like either of my jobs there. I really want to start working at a vet's office, even if I'm just doing paperwork for clients or checking them in/making appointments. There's just one slight issue there. The vet my family takes our pets to, well I shadowed there once and they never called me back. I even signed up as a volunteer for their small shelter. Once I turned in the application sheet, they never called me back. And the vet we used to go to is now more about the money than the actual care of the animals. I don't know of any other vets in my town, or nearby.

How about an internet search for veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, and any other names they're known by? I'm from a tiny area, but I think there are two or three nearby. Maybe there's one in a nearby town/city that's a short drive away?

I think you may have Tourette's my son has both aspergers and tourette's his tics worsen when he's stressed maybe something to look into.

I don't know much about tics, but I have gotten them a few times when I was really really nervous. Mine is my cheek twitches.

I have that problem whenever I switch projects or labs, or have off for awhile and then come back. The other day I was thinking about what to do with a new protocol and I responded "Hello" to a coworker when asked a question, and I nearly managed to spill all of my materials because I was shaking later on the same day. I frequently do things out of order too when I'm adjusting... I don't know if this is something that most ASD individuals experience when they're having "adjustment difficulties" since that's rather vague, but supposing your issue is just one of adjustment perhaps you can find someone at work you would be comfortable confiding in? Perhaps they could help you think of ways to cushion your work environment so that stress from other aspects of your life is not interfering so much with your performance there. Sometimes things just snowball, you know. It could be a miraculous turnaround if you got something in place that made you more at ease.

I have that problem whenever I switch projects or labs, or have off for awhile and then come back. The other day I was thinking about what to do with a new protocol and I responded "Hello" to a coworker when asked a question, and I nearly managed to spill all of my materials because I was shaking later on the same day. I frequently do things out of order too when I'm adjusting... I don't know if this is something that most ASD individuals experience when they're having "adjustment difficulties" since that's rather vague, but supposing your issue is just one of adjustment perhaps you can find someone at work you would be comfortable confiding in? Perhaps they could help you think of ways to cushion your work environment so that stress from other aspects of your life is not interfering so much with your performance there. Sometimes things just snowball, you know. It could be a miraculous turnaround if you got something in place that made you more at ease.

That's just the problem. I've been there almost a year and my tics just keep getting worse. I can only confide in the one who trained me on retail, and lately the retail manager hasn't been giving me any retail hours. 90% of the positions you can apply for there involve other people. Most of them being guests. Actually, being how I hate my job, I don't feel right calling them "guests" unless on the clock.

I bet they won't allow any accommodations because we're all supposed to say the exact same things, wear the exact same smiles, treat all guests the exact same way. I can't take it anymore. I want a different job that doesn't call for as much guest interaction as most of the jobs at Cracker Barrel. I'd even be fine if they demoted me to cleaner. That I can do without a problem.

I want to quit my job, but Cracker Barrel is literally the only place that hired me. All other places turned me down because they "don't have a position for my skills." It's really annoying how the only job I could get is one that I can't even handle not even a year into it.

New Threads

Top Bottom