• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things you enjoy that others typically dislike doing.

Robin Winter

Lover of Cheesequakes
I don't know if this really fits into the obsessions and interests category, but I thought it was close enough to put it here rather than the general category.

What sorts of things do you really enjoy doing that most people typically avoid or complain about?

One of mine is grocery shopping. In my experience most people find it a chore, but provided the grocery store is quiet and not crowded at the time, it's one of my favorite things to do. I spend extra time in the fresh food sections (fruit, veg, meat and fish), and I select everything very carefully. I love experiencing how everything feels and smells, and all the colors.

Some repetitive tasks that other people find boring are quite therapeutic for me, such as chopping wood.

I enjoy doing this too, @Robin Winter. I enjoyed it even more while going around with a one and only good friend of mine who is ND. I also like to take my time looking around the store.

Running out in 2 feet of snow in the middle of a snowstorm. Snowstorms fill me with joy and I love, love, love snow and winter! I equally love running outside in the middle of a downpour in thunder and lightning in the heat of summer and getting absolutely drenched!

By contrast, I hate the sun in summer. If I have to go out, I make a bee-line for every shady spot I see to get out of the sun.

I love counting coins. I will sit down with a 5 gallon jug of coins and sort and roll them all day! I often wish I could get hired at a bank to do stuff like that. I was put in charge of the high school vending machines because I was so good at sorting, counting, and rolling coins.

Proofreading literature is also a fun thing for me! I have some serious Grammar OCD and can be brutal with a red pen, so I'm trying to put it to good use by working freelance jobs proofreading. I may actually have a real job doing this! I find out tomorrow.

I enjoy repetitive things a lot. I also like to find short cuts (some call these things "hacks"), that make life more efficient, that save time and energy (especially energy)...

Many people don't "enjoy" taking care of their finances... I like to make sure I pay all my bills on time, and or before time. I dislike any "fees" that are created because of my not caring to handle my bills. I sort of play games with credit cards... I will get a card (or look for a card) that has a zero transfer balance fee (or very low transfer fees), and zero interest for a year, and then transfer another card balance to that card and pay off an older card debt with zero interest, thus freeing up my old card (now with zero balance), and raising my credit score, each time.

I like to prep my meals for the whole week, and already have them in microwaveable/sealable lunch trays.
I'm not a fan of microwaves, but at work its about all I can do. I like to eat healthy (mostly)...

I like to not waste my life laying around mindlessly watching netflix, or wasting life on social media (at all)... This is my only so called "social media." I would rather spend my time learning something, or practicing something to get better.

I like to wash my own clothes... I actually like it a lot. I have this "thing" with Tide, double downey, and 3 Bounce sheets... Its amazing, and my clothes, sheets, towels, etc. smell like some little corner of heaven.
I also like my house very clean, (many people hate cleaning up their own messes... I'm a neat freak, plus I never have to be embarrassed when someone shows up unexpected. I make my bed right when I get up. I do my dishes at every meal , or at least have them in the dishwasher, basically already washed.

I Like my vehicles clean. I have to pick people up at the airport and stuff at times. I like my body clean...
I don't want to look, or feel like, some one who doesn't take care of the LIFE I have been given.

I like to take care of what I have, and not have things that I don't need in life.
I'm sort of a minimalist, but not in the way it is often explained,
nor am into the minimalist fad thing at all.

Meanwhile people are out shoving through crowds, restaurants, and cinemas, so they can buy their trinkets and junk food, see a movie to escape reality, and be fed a mix of MSG, GMO's, and who knows what else, like they are cattle in a feed pin... only to go home and plop down, and veg out... Normal is odd to me. : )

I like my weird life actually... It just needs to happen in a forrest, in the mountains, in a cabin overlooking the sea... There is basically very few places on earth where that can be a reality. In the US, that would be Oregon, or Washington state and I am trying to make that a reality, with San Diego (Alpine) as a back up plan if needed.

For now, I'm in this 108 degree hell on earth... Come on early Fall, tomorrow would be great, please and thank you! The heat wipes me out really fast... : )

Our oldest 8-year old son loves sweeping and vacuuming things up, and he wants to mow our large lawn by push mower, but which I say he can do the latter when he is much older. He loves putting things in their proper places.

Contrary, our youngest, age 6, likes creating messes, by scribbling on everything, tearing up things, and throwing everything scattered about or on top of our cupboards, likely partly because of his adhd, as he has the dual conditions.

I would suspect most persons would dislike places too clean, or too messy, so those would be my answers regarding our autistic children.

I like to not waste my life laying around mindlessly watching netflix, or wasting life on social media (at all)... This is my only so called "social media." I would rather spend my time learning something, or practicing something to get better.

I love those things, (well social media is more of a need than a love), but in the words of the late John Lennon, Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Some repetitive tasks that other people find boring are quite therapeutic for me, such as chopping wood.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(the embed c*cked up, but it works so I'm not messing with it)

Like ironing and sewing. There's something calming about taking clothing that is not perfect (wrinkled) and making it smooth. One of my first ever after school jobs was working in my friend's families dry cleaning business. Liked the smell and sound of the place, the clean clothing, the steam.

Don't iron very much anymore, as most clothing is permanent press but on occasion when I sew, I can iron. Also like sewing by hand, small repairs or buttons, or hemming pants by hand. It's reminiscent of a time and place when my grandmother taught me those skills as a child.

Last edited:
I was going to post on this thread but, what you said summed it up so well. This is why, because for the most part, you described me to a tee. In a way, I'm kind of a minimalist too because I simply don't have the space for clutter in my life or the patience to deal with it. I forget what thread it was on but Judge here said that minimalism is a form of elegance and it's true.

I enjoy repetitive things a lot. I also like to find short cuts (some call these things "hacks"), that make life more efficient, that save time and energy (especially energy)...

Many people don't "enjoy" taking care of their finances... I like to make sure I pay all my bills on time, and or before time. I dislike any "fees" that are created because of my not caring to handle my bills. I sort of play games with credit cards... I will get a card (or look for a card) that has a zero transfer balance fee (or very low transfer fees), and zero interest for a year, and then transfer another card balance to that card and pay off an older card debt with zero interest, thus freeing up my old card (now with zero balance), and raising my credit score, each time.

I like to prep my meals for the whole week, and already have them in microwaveable/sealable lunch trays.
I'm not a fan of microwaves, but at work its about all I can do. I like to eat healthy (mostly)...

I like to wash my own clothes... I actually like it a lot. I have this "thing" with Tide, double downey, and 3 Bounce sheets... Its amazing, and my clothes, sheets, towels, etc. smell like some little corner of heaven.
I also like my house very clean, (many people hate cleaning up their own messes... I'm a neat freak, plus I never have to be embarrassed when someone shows up unexpected. I make my bed right when I get up. I do my dishes at every meal , or at least have them in the dishwasher, basically already washed.

I Like my vehicles clean. I have to pick people up at the airport and stuff at times. I like my body clean...
I don't want to look, or feel like, some one who doesn't take care of the LIFE I have been given.

I like to take care of what I have, and not have things that I don't need in life.
I'm sort of a minimalist, but not in the way it is often explained,
nor am into the minimalist fad thing at all.

Meanwhile people are out shoving through crowds, restaurants, and cinemas, so they can buy their trinkets and junk food, see a movie to escape reality, and be fed a mix of MSG, GMO's, and who knows what else, like they are cattle in a feed pin... only to go home and plop down, and veg out... Normal is odd to me. : )

I like my weird life actually... It just needs to happen in a forrest, in the mountains, in a cabin overlooking the sea... There is basically very few places on earth where that can be a reality. In the US, that would be Oregon, or Washington state and I am trying to make that a reality, with San Diego (Alpine) as a back up plan if needed.

For now, I'm in this 108 degree hell on earth... Come on early Fall, tomorrow would be great, please and thank you! The heat wipes me out really fast... : )

I like driving the back roads.
Most people only think of how fast they can get from point A to point B
speeding down an interstate for hours. I hate that.

There is so much to see taking the small roads.
If it takes all day to get to a place the interstate would only take 2 hours,
that's great. Getting there is part of the fun.

I like being out in super cold winter. Snow shoeing or walking across frozen lakes. In -10 or -20 Degrees F. below zero weather too! I actually go out woods walking when the weatherman says not to go outside!

I have snow shoed in -60 F. below weather too, but I burned my lungs that way, and it was painful to breathe for two days! Even with all my gear on and not cold, I had to experience that kind of cold.

It’s so peaceful, quiet, and sunny on those days. I love it.

Last edited:
...I like my weird life actually... It just needs to happen in a forrest, in the mountains, in a cabin overlooking the sea... There is basically very few places on earth where that can be a reality. In the US, that would be Oregon, or Washington state and I am trying to make that a reality, with San Diego (Alpine) as a back up plan if needed.

I am the same, and this has been a goal of mine, as well. I'd like to, someday, build a house of wood and glass, overlooking the ocean, in coastal woodlands, preferably in the Pacific Northwest, or similar. Almost, everything in your post I identify with, as well. I've not heard of the minimalist fad, however, I have always been a minimalist, per se, in that I simply like to have what I need and is pleasing to my senses. I like my space to be sparse and functional. I am very much the same with regard to efficiency and saving time and energy.

Last edited:
Proofreading literature is also a fun thing for me! I have some serious Grammar OCD and can be brutal with a red pen, so I'm trying to put it to good use by working freelance jobs proofreading. I may actually have a real job doing this! I find out tomorrow.
I also do proofreading, and translation. It's part time and seasonal, not enough to sustain me, but certainly helps. I hope you get the job!

One thing that I like which many other people find boring is learning the grammar of foreign languages. Most people find grammar exercises and drills boring, but I don't, I really like doing them. I like learning vocabulary and translating, too.

I also do proofreading, and translation. It's part time and seasonal, not enough to sustain me, but certainly helps. I hope you get the job!

One thing that I like which many other people find boring is learning the grammar of foreign languages. Most people find grammar exercises and drills boring, but I don't, I really like doing them. I like learning vocabulary and translating, too.

Hey, I am/was a translator too :). I hate it though, usually, which is why I've started pursuing a more creative and artistic path now. But I still get translations and they've been a bit better recently. What languages do you translate? I do Finnish and Swedish into English. 9 times out of 10, the source version is so bad, I end up wanting to hang myself. When the source is well-written, rare, it can be quite peaceful to translate, but then I get bored very quickly with the work.

I "proofread" too, but we call it editing, because the original is usually so bad (Finnglish) that it is editing and can't be done without the original source language version. I hate doing that more than translating.

Hey, I am/was a translator too :). I hate it though, usually, which is why I've started pursuing a more creative and artistic path now. But I still get translations and they've been a bit better recently. What languages do you translate? I do Finnish and Swedish into English. 9 times out of 10, the source version is so bad, I end up wanting to hang myself. When the source is well-written, rare, it can be quite peaceful to translate, but then I get bored very quickly with the work.

I "proofread" too, but we call it editing, because the original is usually so bad (Finnglish) that it is editing and can't be done without the original source language version. I hate doing that more than translating.
I translate from Greek or Romanian into English, and proofread texts that have been translated from Romanian into English. I also proofread documents for an agency, this is seasonal. I like translating, but find that it doesn't pay - it's not well paid and I work too slowly, carefully and methodically to ever make it pay or really be worth my while. So I haven't taken on any translations recently, but the proofreading job is well paid, the texts are well-written, and it's worth it.
Yes, the source version is often very badly translated. Sometimes I wonder if they have just used Google Translate to translate them in order to try and save money. I have proofread whole books for an author who wanted to do the translation herself, but made a very poor job of it, and I ended up translating from scratch from the source language version.
I end up wanting to hang myself.
I hope you don't mean this literally? :worried:

New Threads

Top Bottom