• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things you enjoy that others typically dislike doing.

Oh yeah. I actually enjoy watching C-Span. They can have interesting talks, and interesting books featured on BookTV.

I hate summer. I hate the heat. I even hate the extra hours of sunlight. I hate trying to do short, repetitive tasks even in a video game because my mind wanders after about thirty seconds, I start talking to myself and lose focus. I hate drugs and alcohol. I hate drug and/or alcohol-fueled parties where human behavior is at its absolute worst. I hate shopping for clothes, I usually hate shopping with other people, and when I'm in a store with someone who is shopping for themselves I usually wander off at the first chance I get.

But I usually like not falling asleep at night right away. I don't want to not sleep at all, of course, but I like to just lie there in the dark and daydream and let my mind wander as much as possible before falling asleep and having my own movies playing in my head. They're usually a lot better than my sleeping dreams because I have more control over them. And I like cool weather and less sunlight.

Market trading, spreadsheets, data analysis (anything with patterns and numbers). I can happily do someone's tax return or set up/manage their investment portfolio and I will watch Bloomberg for hours in the morning if I'm up early and still tired, as all the graphs and numbers really calm my brain. But anyone else I've ever lived with found it annoying and/or weird.

Organising and planning things. My sister showed me a TV show called Hoarders, where people stockpile mountains of clothes and random stuff in their house and can't deal with the thought of sorting through all of it. They call in a team of people who basically pressure and demand that they throw everything out ASAP and give them a panic attack, which is ridiculous. I'd happily spend weeks/months calmly and methodically sorting through everything with them. I would LOVE that job! I still get told off for 'tidying' things when I go to people's houses. If the magazines or coasters on their lounge table aren't straight then I will automatically start rearranging them without thinking. My brain likes creating order in the universe!

Loud and/or repetitive music. My ex would practice the same songs over and over again on the piano/guitar and our other flatmate would go nuts, but I found it theraputic. If I like a song then I tend to play it multiple times, as I notice different patterns or combinations (a bit like noticing different details in a painting each time you look).

Repetitive tasks in general, as I go into a sort of trance. I'm not great at playing 'proper' instruments as I struggle with most forms of multi-tasking, but I picked up drumming from my brother and find that relaxing as it tends to be very repetitive.

DIY. I view it as grown up Lego! I am queen of flat pack furniture and house decorating among my friends/family! I would happily build my own house from scratch! I actually designed a modern-Japanese style home to live in when I was about 12 with detailed blueprints for every single bit of furniture! :D

Extreme weather, extreme sports, extreme situations, very strong tastes or smells (hot spices, petrol, paint stripper, lemons, vinegar, etc). My brain enjoys the adrenalin rush and completely calms down in the moment.

Cleaning. Especially dusting/polishing or washing/hanging/folding clothes. When I was little, I used to stick my head inside the washing machine drum after my mum had taken out all the clean items and spin it for ages. I still love that smell!

Being outside. My sister hates camping, bugs, dirt, plants, and general outdoorsy things, but I could happily live in the middle of a forrest somewhere.

I enjoy programming, to try and make computer games, whereas most of my friends hate programming they just want to PLAY games.

What sorts of things do you really enjoy doing that most people typically avoid or complain about?
I love writing essays for school. (and out of school) Though depending on the context. I love doing narritives or research papers, but they have to be in a field I know at least a good amount of knowledge to write about. I recently had to write an autobiography using Erikson's 8 Stage Developmental Theory of Crisis for a child development class. While this assignment did cause me to have PTSD, I had fun writing this section that wasn't really assigned, but I felt that I needed to include. I made a section called "Revising Erikson's Theory" as I felt the theory was great for its time, as psychology was a new feild for people to explore. But in 2018, its broad, vague and discriminatory towards a large group of people. When my peers asked how my paper was going, I told them about this section and they were floored by how much effort I put into this.

Managing my finances.
Sorting things.
Researching best items / best products to buy.
Hot weather.
Walking.
Making people aware of their spelling errors.

Being a "Grammar Nazi", people don't like it when I point out their poor spelling and/or grammar, your equals you're! How hard is it?! I mean yeah OK some people are Dyslexic and can't help it, but for most it's pure laziness on their part IMO.

Dishes and laundry! Love em’!
You will like Marie Kondo clothing folding methods. I fold my T-shirts that way and I can see every color of every shirt in a drawer without ever lifting anything. They are folded small, stood on end with the fold up like a book. more time but not much. It makes folding a highly organized art form.

I enjoy repetitive things a lot. I also like to find short cuts (some call these things "hacks"), that make life more efficient, that save time and energy (especially energy)...

Many people don't "enjoy" taking care of their finances... I like to make sure I pay all my bills on time, and or before time. I dislike any "fees" that are created because of my not caring to handle my bills. I sort of play games with credit cards... I will get a card (or look for a card) that has a zero transfer balance fee (or very low transfer fees), and zero interest for a year, and then transfer another card balance to that card and pay off an older card debt with zero interest, thus freeing up my old card (now with zero balance), and raising my credit score, each time.

I like to prep my meals for the whole week, and already have them in microwaveable/sealable lunch trays.
I'm not a fan of microwaves, but at work its about all I can do. I like to eat healthy (mostly)...

I like to not waste my life laying around mindlessly watching netflix, or wasting life on social media (at all)... This is my only so called "social media." I would rather spend my time learning something, or practicing something to get better.

I like to wash my own clothes... I actually like it a lot. I have this "thing" with Tide, double downey, and 3 Bounce sheets... Its amazing, and my clothes, sheets, towels, etc. smell like some little corner of heaven.
I also like my house very clean, (many people hate cleaning up their own messes... I'm a neat freak, plus I never have to be embarrassed when someone shows up unexpected. I make my bed right when I get up. I do my dishes at every meal , or at least have them in the dishwasher, basically already washed.

I Like my vehicles clean. I have to pick people up at the airport and stuff at times. I like my body clean...
I don't want to look, or feel like, some one who doesn't take care of the LIFE I have been given.

I like to take care of what I have, and not have things that I don't need in life.
I'm sort of a minimalist, but not in the way it is often explained,
nor am into the minimalist fad thing at all.

Meanwhile people are out shoving through crowds, restaurants, and cinemas, so they can buy their trinkets and junk food, see a movie to escape reality, and be fed a mix of MSG, GMO's, and who knows what else, like they are cattle in a feed pin... only to go home and plop down, and veg out... Normal is odd to me. : )

I like my weird life actually... It just needs to happen in a forrest, in the mountains, in a cabin overlooking the sea... There is basically very few places on earth where that can be a reality. In the US, that would be Oregon, or Washington state and I am trying to make that a reality, with San Diego (Alpine) as a back up plan if needed.

For now, I'm in this 108 degree hell on earth... Come on early Fall, tomorrow would be great, please and thank you! The heat wipes me out really fast... : )
You must be my clone.

I enjoy shopping, from buying something online to going to the grocery store every week to buy food. I never have understood why people don’t like shopping. We have to buy food unless we can grow our own food. It seems like the more I shop, the more I enjoy it. Another thing I like to do is help other people. Sometimes an older person asks me for help and I help them as best as I can. Many people don’t like to be interrupted from their tasks to help somebody else but I enjoy helping them. Then there’s work. Most people don’t like washing the dishes there except for me so I clean the dishes while I’m at work. I’ve been washing dishes for so long I enjoy this now.

I enjoy going to coffee shops alone like now. Until I met my special friend, I literally did everything alone. After doing everything alone nearly my whole life, I enjoy the contrast of company and back to no company. I see someone just like me on her own right now dining out content with her own company. It’s nice to see it’s not just me on my own. It’s a cafe where they accept dogs coming in and I love that! It’s the reason for me going in in the first place. They’re all so good and never bark.

Vertical ice climbing on frozen waterfalls. The repeating thunk and crunch of the ice axes whacking into a good solid placement and the rhythmic kick kick kick of the crampons. The quiet and beauty at a winter ice belay while the partner is climbing.
I also enjoy (usually) doing my dishes by hand at home, a task many find odd considering I have a dishwasher appliance. I live alone, which I suppose makes this task manageable.

Last edited:
Laundry and grocery shopping although the latter is more about making a list and stocking my cupboards than about physically going around the store. Lately I've been doing lots of online/delivered groceries.

People don't seem to usually enjoy cleaning, but I like cleaning and organizing things a lot. I also enjoy cold water and being outside in the cold.

I realized, while volunteering in the electronics room at the local thrift shop, that untangling giant knots of electrical cords is really satisfying for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom