• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things you are not good at?

Dillon

i know everyone has something they can’t do to accomplish it completely but I always wonder if the autism part affects of what you can and can’t do.

I seem to always have a problem when it relates to motor coordination. I have a problem with the simple things such as folding clothes the proper way, always had that difficulty since forever. I kind of suck when it comes with a pen writing like an elementary kid but that’s only in print; when I write in cursive it’s totally different like how it’s suppose to be. I do mainly write in cursive with pen so maybe it’s from doing that for so long or maybe something else.
I can’t blow a bubble with bubble gum no matter how flat I get it on my tounge.

Processing things is sometimes a real bummer. There are times when say someone says something and I’m suppose to relay it to someone else the problem is I tend to leave parts out or twist what The other person says. It’s usually when a person says something in multiple steps all at once that I have trouble remember some pieces.

Also like many others here making friends and being social are two things I’m not good with sometimes but the social part has been better.

What can you not absolutely do and have somethings you could not do before improved?

Youngest son with Autism and adhd--- talk, follow instructions, eat a healthy variety of foods, read, write, personal tasks himself, sleep adequately, walking (almost always runs, including indoors)

Oldest with Aspergers---understanding figurative language, motor activities like playing sports involving coordination, making friends, deviating from some routines

I have always had trouble with tying my shoes, it wasn't into when I was 14 or 15 that I finally learned a method that worked for me, I also have some pretty noticeable problems with how I walk, but I do not mind them. -- I could name plenty of minor things but the primary things I am not "good at" are social-related, for example saying "thank you", "your welcome", or "sorry". -- I also rarely get the memo of holding open doors for others.

Dancing.
Swimming - breast stroke (can't coordinate my arms and legs at the same time)
Type fast - have well below average speed.
Cursive handwriting
Algebra
Interpreting poetry.
Socializing/people skills.
Reading body language
Recognising faces.

not so good at:
- i've taught myself to read people and have constructed a 'context library' to know how i need to act around people, but it very often fails when talking on the phone
- being patient and openminded during a conversation, when someone starts a sentence about a topic, in my mind i extrapolate what they will likely say, in the beginning i still listen to look for words that confirm my opinion, and then get really impatient for them to finish what they are saying, i get irritated because i have already finished their thought and have an answer ready, the more verbose the other person the more irritated i get
- i have problems with empathy, if i don't 'remember' to do it then i don't
- i think quickly, i'm quite tall and sturdy, and have one of those strong commanding voices that cuts through anything, so people have often told me that i come over as quite intimidating and unpleasant
- dancing
- i sometimes assume everyone is like me, this puts an unfair burden on them, as a result i generally have no patience, not intellectually, not physically,
- by association i can also be quiet inflexible, once i've had the conversation in my head, or i've gone through the decision process in my head, i am less open to other people's opinion
- i am no good in groups

Tying shoelaces, after over 30 years of trying, and teachers at school trying to teach me I've given up, I now wear shoes with Velcro fastening.

Daft thing is, I can't tie shoelaces but I can tie a big double knot in my Batman cape, which I then have to send for my Parents to come and undo, much to Mum's annoyance.

I also can't cook beyond warming up frozen stuff such as Pizzas and other general frozen foods.

I'm not good at summarizing but getting better.
Not good at communication, Organization (it's my junk, and I know exactly where in the pile to locate something!) and planning, math- (numbers blow my mind, at times, at other times, I can figure quickly) making an outline -way too many details.
Sitting still. I must fidget, or move something.

Last edited:
The list of things that I can not do is very long. The one that bothers me most is motor activities. I am a big time sports fan and I am very, very clumsy. I could never play a team sport because I am just not a team person. However, I have played a few individual sports, non of them very good. Golf is a good example. I have studied the sport to know what kind of equipment is best for me and have the proper equipment. I have studied the mechanics of the golf swing and know it well. I pay attention to the right strategy for any given hole. I play a lot. Yet after all this, I am a very bad golfer. Other individual spots have the same result.

I'm not good at summarizing but getting better.
Not good at communication, Organization (it's my junk, and I know exactly where in the pile to locate something!) and planning, math- (numbers blow my mind, at times, at other times, I can figure quickly) making an outline -way too many details.
Sitting still. I must fidget, or move something.

FILLING OUT FORMS!! I mess up a form almost every single time.

Others for me (besides social instinct & face-blindness):
  • whistling,
  • chess,
  • typing,
  • swimming &
  • wheelies (on my bikes/trike)

Last edited:
I have poor motor coordination as well. Hence, I can't drive, do much in the way of physical labor or tie my shoes

Finding new things in the grocery store (or anything that requires a visual search).

Ordering for others at the drive through - it's the dumbest little thing, but it fills me with anxiety.

Remembering or recognizing faces and names.

Singing on key. I'm not tone deaf - I'm tone dead.

Fixing cars. I've tried because you can save so much money if you can fix car problems yourself. But it's just not me.

On-the-fly social conversations. Or any conversation I'm not prepared in advance for.

- Score another one for the drive-through. Not only do I have an accent they can't understand however hard I try and make clear what I want, but I face the drive-through with a degree of anxiety that is so far out of proportion that it is just plain silly.

- Social environments. I'd rather hide in the corner, thanks. Or better yet, not be there. I can manage conversations, though tend to dominate them when they happen. I also tend to cut others off when they are speaking, then fail to communicate what I mean. But in a social setting, I have no idea who is who or what I am supposed to do.

- I have no idea how to make friends, so I don't. I leave it up to others to make friends if they wish to. Few ever have!

- Phone calls. I hate them, and struggle to make any sense during them. Absent visual cues I get from others during normal conversation/interaction, in phone calls I can't process in real-time, and get badly stuck.

- Short term memory. I have little or no recall of very recent events or details, which messes up a great deal of what I am actively doing.

- Poor to non-existent facial recognition, particularly with people out of familiar context.

- Rather variable motor control. Some days are better than others, but on bad days, I can barely type, find it hard to use a mouse, I walk into door frames and stumble over things I know are there. Fortunately, most days aren't that bad.

- Hearing issues. I can hear sounds that others appear unable to, which I am led to believe are very faint, but I can't filter sounds from different sources, so multiple people talking, even if at vastly different loudness and distance, all arrive as a jumbled whole.

- I am hopeless at tasks and skills I don't have an interest in.

It’s usually when a person says something in multiple steps all at once that I have trouble remember some pieces.
I have always had problems processing driving directions. Before GPS, if I were trying to find someplace by stopping and asking for directions, I usually had to stop several times if there was more than one left/right turn involved. Even if I tried to write it down as the person related it, I had trouble getting it straight in my head. Not sure if this is due to Asperger's or that I am Left-handed. But GPS was a God-send for me. Yet I still have some trouble processing verbal directions from the GPS device.

lso like many others here making friends and being social are two things I’m not good with sometimes but the social part has been better.
Although I have managed to overcome my social issues, I still have a hard time remembering people's names. Yes I have tried using association techniques but my ability to associate totally unrelated objects is also weak--especially if the objects have no logical connection. I also have difficulty using formal titles like "Aunt Olivia and Uncle Dillon" or "Grandpa Jim" Have no idea why this is so but it has never gone away. There seems to be something in my brain that rejects familial links.

Phone calls. I hate them, and struggle to make any sense during them. Absent visual cues I get from others during normal conversation/interaction, in phone calls I can't process in real-time, and get badly stuck.
ME TOO!

I face the drive-through with a degree of anxiety that is so far out of proportion that it is just plain silly.
Mine includes drive-through banks. I would rather go into the bank and wait in line than deal with a teller via microphone. However, I have excellent report with the ATM. Guess I have more AI qualities than humanoid qualities;)

New Threads

Top Bottom