• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

There are a lot of Brits here....

As i've found, most american aspies are pro aspies and they REFUSE to talk to NT's. They think Aspergers makes them better than everyone else when it has advantages and disadvantages which levels us out with NT's.
I'm from Texas myself and I resent a lot of the things that NT's have done to me,but I

understand that a lot of people acted out of ignorance rather than malice,then again some people were

downright malicious.

I don't see myself as being better,just different,don't hang out with other aspies because the only

ones I know are on these Forums.

It's not NTs that do bad stuff to you, it's people.
People screw up. Aspies included.
I know I've done a lot of conventionally perceived bad things to people. Doesn't make me NT.
EMZ.

I don't even use "NT". I don't seperate myself from people, we're all human. There's lots of aspie idiots and sheep, just like most of society.

I don't even use "NT". I don't seperate myself from people, we're all human. There's lots of aspie idiots and sheep, just like most of society.
Agreed. I am guilty of using the term NT though. I probably shouldn't though.
EMZ=]

I think the question is more why would we need to refer to a non-aspie?
Why would the distinction need to be made?
Is it right for us to assume the that personality traits we exhibit can't be on people without a disorder we're diagnosed with?
EMZ=]

I really don't like the word NT because I don't think it really exists. Everyone has their own problems and I wonder how many people are out there who actually don't have any disabilities or cancer, or other sicknesses and don't need medication?

But I will use the word NT to separate from aspie when I am talking but I usually say "normal people" when I am talking about people without that condition. I go to another aspie forum where it's mixed with AS and NTs. People there call themselves NT and they go my AS husband, my AS wife but they don't refer them that in real life, only at that forum so people would know which one is the aspie. To me that labeling did seem silly. I don't refer my husband as the brain damaged hubby or bad feet hubby or learning disabled hubby. I call him my husband or hubby. Even the NTs there don't really like labeling their partners that way either but they do it so everyone knows what position they are. There is no feature like in relationship with aspie or in relationship with NT. Instead we have to put it in our sigs. I have mine in my sig about me being a 24 year old woman with AS with a aspie like man. My husband has traits but he won't do any forums because of his poor spelling.

NT doesn't mean anything, it doesn't define behavior. Whatever people do has nothing to do with being NT such as being a jerk, being ignorant, not accepting someone. Those are just human characteristics and they are just jerks and no good people. I see them as personality traits and it's not part of anything. But I will agree there is such thing as NT traits and they be like not expecting people to know your thoughts, reading between the lines, the obvious stuff lot of people have that we have difficulty with. But I don't think there is such thing as 100 percent aspie and one hundred percent NT because they also have their moments like communicating problems, why do you think misunderstandings occur? Why do you think people fail to understand how someone is feeling?
To be 100 percent NT would be never lacking theory of mind, never lack empathy, always flexible, always reads body language right never wrong, never ever takes things literal, never needs to be alone, no sensory issues, etc. and for all these to work, they have to be perfect and never make a mistake, never have any aspie moments and have never had any before by failing at these at times. Also they would also have to have no mental conditions.

Being 100 percent aspie, things be a mess if someone was, having every single sensory issue, taking every single thing literal and never ever understand sarcasm or use it, etc.

To be 100 percent NT would be never lacking theory of mind, never lack empathy, always flexible, always reads body language right never wrong, never ever takes things literal, never needs to be alone, no sensory issues, etc. and for all these to work, they have to be perfect and never make a mistake, never have any aspie moments and have never had any before by failing at these at times. Also they would also have to have no mental conditions.

I don't think that's strictly true, you've simply listed all the opposites of Aspergers and defined their extremeties as normality. The word defines itself. Neurotypical - typical being the most common trends that appear (neurogically). I highly doubt the '100% NT' you described is common at all, you'd have to take statistics from everyone that wasn't diagnosed or suspected and highlight the most common qualities to properly define 'normal'.

...I think. :p

EDIT: Oh, I also hate the term 'neurotypical'... there's nothing 'typical' about me; normal is a much nicer term.

That made me lol xD. 'Hello NT X. Hello NT Y. Hello NT Z. Hello Joe.' Joe being the aspie in the room xD.
EMZ=P

So, do you not like the word NT? I rarely use it myself but i'm just trying to understand the meaning of it and why some people don't like it. People on WrongPlanet use it a lot.

@Emor

If I wanted to say something like:

"I have a brother who does not have AS."

Would I not just refer to him as being NT? What does NT actually mean anyway?

Again, i'm just trying to understand the meaning of NT and why some don't like it. I'm not saying I use the word myself.

BTW i'm not talking about using NT in real life conversation. I'm talking about using on Aspergers forums like members of WP seem to do a lot.

So, do you not like the word NT? I rarely use it myself but i'm just trying to understand the meaning of it and why some people don't like it. People on WrongPlanet use it a lot.

@Emor

If I wanted to say something like:

"I have a brother who does not have AS."

Would I not just refer to him as being NT? What does NT actually mean anyway?

Again, i'm just trying to understand the meaning of NT and why some don't like it. I'm not saying I use the word myself.

No, it annoys me. And mainly cause of how much the people at WP used the term. And it was usually "Oh man, i'm so damned sick of NT'S, they are evil, I wanna wipe NT's off the face of the earth".

And, you could just say "I have a brother" (full stop)

Lol. Well, if you're referring to somebody that doesn't have aspergers, in a place populated with aspie's, you refer to them as NT (or other equivilent definition) and vice versa, I guess...

I think the point Ben(cba with full name) is trying to make is that why should we have to make the distinction in the first place?
Why does it matter who's NT and who's AS?
Then again, why are you on a forum for people only with AS is you're against segregation of the two? LOL.
EMZ=]

Since the term "NT" seems to annoy so many, maybe this forum should run a poll to come up with a more agreeable term. Or is it simply the fact of having a name for people who don't have as many AS traits as we have the problem, in and of itself?

New Threads

Top Bottom