• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

There are a lot of Brits here....

why should we have to make the distinction in the first place?
Why does it matter who's NT and who's AS?
EMZ=]

Well, my original point was that if (for whatever reason/purpose) you wanted to point out that person X did not have AS, you could simply call them NT on the forums. At least that's the purpose of the word going by how it's used by members of WrongPlanet (the place were I first heard the term NT). Apparently, it is offensive to some though, hence the reason for my confusion as i'm trying to find out why. Reading over the thread though, I think I get the reason.

It doesn't matter who's NT and who's AS but there may be times when you want to distinguish between the two for the purpose of a thread.

Anyway, we've made a mountain out of a molehill here, it was just interesting to me to find out more about the term NT and the use of it.  :)

I didn't find it tedious. I think I'm more enlightened and I've changed my mind on quite a few issues.
EMZ=]

I don't care if people call themselves it, even if they have some neurological condition. I wouldn't care if my husband called himself that. There are even aspies out there who will not call themselves an aspie or an aspergerian.

Since the term "NT" seems to annoy so many, maybe this forum should run a poll to come up with a more agreeable term. Or is it simply the fact of having a name for people who don't have as many AS traits as we have the problem, in and of itself?

It seems like all aspies talk about. Ok you/we are different. Everyone is different. People getting bitter and bitching about "NT's" will have your head spinning your whole life. I've only been diagnosed just over 2 years, and i'm way past talking about AS and "NT's" all the time. Do you think this is what "NT's" do on facebook and myspace forums? "oo, us nt's have it so tough, wish I could make it in the aspie world". Its nice to have a label, to start with, especially if you've been through bad times, and not understood why. But at some point, its good to move on, and deal with each issue on its own. Like the anxiety, depression, all social stuff etc.

Like Cal said, he heard it on WP. Its probably some tradition thats started on there. A large bunch of them, who use that word in every sentence, will probably end up making Mrs Havisham look like Simon Cowell.

I would hate for this place to turn into a NT bashing site. Aspies over at WP act all superior and arrogant like they are better than NTs and act like aspies would never do this or that that is wrong. Not all aspies act that way over there but they sure stick out more, the ones that do it of course. The ones who don't do it don't stick out. So it will look like that's all they ever do and all of them are that way but they're not.

But the irony I have seen is aspies get upset when people bash us, but they turn around and do NT bashing. I have called out that irony and you know what I got told by a few people, we're the minority, they are mean to us. Okay so that means we are entitled to bash them just because we're the minority and they can't bash us because they're the majority? How fair is that?

It would just be better if they replaced the word NT with "people." There, now no one is being lumped.

I would hate for this place to turn into a NT bashing site. Aspies over at WP act all superior and arrogant like they are better than NTs and act like aspies would never do this or that that is wrong. Not all aspies act that way over there but they sure stick out more, the ones that do it of course. The ones who don't do it don't stick out. So it will look like that's all they ever do and all of them are that way but they're not.

But the irony I have seen is aspies get upset when people bash us, but they turn around and do NT bashing. I have called out that irony and you know what I got told by a few people, we're the minority, they are mean to us. Okay so that means we are entitled to bash them just because we're the minority and they can't bash us because they're the majority? How fair is that?

It would just be better if they replaced the word NT with "people." There, now no one is being lumped.

yep, exactly.

That's the thing that I worry about... If they did turn this into a NT Bashing site... You could try and split site site in half....
One for the NT section and the Aspie section and another one for altogether thing? I don't know if that actuallly does sound like a good idea?
But that's only when it would turn to this stage? idk?

In my own opinion, what's with the idea of NT, I thought they were talking about windows at first :lol: but to be honest the term neurotypical, some people would not know what that ment and might take it the wrong way?

Lol, it'd be interesting if this became a NT bashing site, what with one running it and all... :( :p

This place is gonna stay a friendly environment. :)

Someone should start a proper thread discussing the whole NT/Aspie terminology topic, rather than doing it in the Brits one. :p

Lol, it'd be interesting if this became a NT bashing site, what with one running it and all... :( :p

This place is gonna stay a friendly environment. :)

Someone should start a proper thread discussing the whole NT/Aspie terminology topic, rather than doing it in the Brits one. :p

Really ? Swearing doesn't seem to friendly...

There was a question about NT apparently that I bumped into on Wrongplanet..
Should of been NA instead of NT.... Which I don't seem to quite get?

What does 'NA' stand for?

Edit: Guessing non-aspergic, or something?

What does 'NA' stand for?

Edit: Guessing non-aspergic, or something?
Yes... apparently thats what the other person put as their topic but it completely confused me thinking they was on about "Not Applicable" which didn't seem to make sense to me. :lol:

I personally have no problem with NT being used or using it myself as I have no malice towards those who are. It all depends on the person.

Getting back on topic, there are three very good points to consider over about why the United Kingdom has so many people here. And they are very logical.

Of the top populations in the world, United Kingdom comes in at 22nd and Canada at 36th

Of the top English speaking populations in the world where English is an official language, United Kingdom rolls in at 5th while Canada isn't far behind at 10th.

Of those where health care is universal and where English is an official language, Canada comes in at 4th whereas the United Kingdom comes in at 3rd under Pakistan [2nd] and India [1st, at a whopping 3.5X at least of that above Pakistan...holy freakin crap! o.o]

Now here's the clincher. Of the top 1 and 2 countries listed as using the internet and of the above criteria combined, United Kingdom comes in at #1 and Canada #2.

So there you have it, the stats speak for themselves.

Going back to something that was said earlier, I'm personally not a fan of the word 'Aspie'. I don't mind others using it, but I avoid it myself. It just sounds a bit patronising to me. I usually just say "I have Aspergers" when I mention my condition.

As for 'NT', while I'm aware of what it means, I've never needed to use it.

Seems like most of the good websites and YouTube channels are from the UK or originated there. I don't know. Maybe it's just because I'm Canadian and tend to see people in the UK like distant relatives

New Threads

Top Bottom