• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Social aspie

Do you like to socialize?

• I love it! Even if it makes me tired.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I don’t mind it but it does make me tired...so I don’t do it often.

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • I hate it. I’d like to live away from people with my coconut as company.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I want to but I don’t know how/it makes me tired/I’ve been hurt too many times by people...

Votes: 11 26.8%

• Total voters
Socializing is very difficult for me. Sometimes I do want to socialize but it’s very very tiring. I’m content to be alone or with just one or two people. Groups are hard and parties are really stressful.

For most of my life I’ve just avoided get togethers. Now I try to plan ahead to get some rest and solidarity before and after.

It’s had an impact on my marriage and I’m trying to get better at it. At least now I know why I haven’t wanted to go to family parties m stuff. My wife is understanding now too and we plan together. A spur of the moment get together is near impossible for me though.

Yes, a surprise event or random event to socialize really knocks me too. I can’t do it.

In my first year, I had no plans to attend the Christmas party at the university but “concerned “ staff made me go. I had even asked them to leave me alone, that I was fine and I still had to go. The way it was organized ensured that I was up on the main table (with a few others too) where it lasted for a long time. I was so tired. I didn’t stay for the after party. It was too much.

I’m glad that your wife now plans with you. That’s good.

I liked socializing as a child. As a teenager I realized I was not good at it so I didn’t like it anymore but I still went to social events because that’s how you gain skills and friends and popularity. In my 20s I realized how exhausting it is for me and although I was “practicing”, I didn’t feel much better at it and I still didn’t have friends. So then I quit forcing myself to socialize and now at 30, I’m quite happy celebrating my birthday and other holidays alone.

On occasions I have to socialize, but these days I don’t try to hide my disinterest in it, so I usually don’t talk much and leave early .

I Am more of an Introvert so I don't like to socialize especially in big groups but on occasion i do like to go around interacting with people while pretending i'm in a video game and on a mission.

New Threads

Top Bottom