• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Rocking Chair Think Tank.

Epicurean Pariah

Immaculate perception
I have been thinking of an open ended, wild and wooly unrestricted, rambling to no purpose room. I figure it will flourish or die on the vine.

My opening gambit: I would like to suggest some tips on how to make money without destroying yourself in the process.

If you need money, because you do not have money, hang near the money.
That is to say if your going out one evening and you budgeted yourself 3-5 hours pay for 4-5 hours out then instead of going to, Bubbas' & Babe-ahs' or Lucy's 9th Ring and try to engage those that hang at, a slightly more elegant venue. I am not suggesting that you kowtow and genuflect or act deferentially. I am suggesting that you promote your skills in an environment that has the resources to remunerate you.
Those that have money enough to spread it around to help their friends, like the unique and even the
grotesque, they want the story behind the art or what ever.
I think as a general rule Aspers are better at creating, producing, inventing, fixing things with minimum resources than working within a bureaucracy. Example:
I recently saw on TV a snippet of a girl who was stung by a bee at age 4. Her parents told her about bees and gave her bee book. This started her "lifelong" interest in bees and concern about the bees well being. Now she is about 10-12. She finds a family recipe for lemonade made with honey. She made it, sold it on her doorstep. Made more and bottled her bee friendly lemonade and kicked back some of the proceeds back to supporting bees. Now "Hole Foods, "sic has contracted to buy honey/ lemonade and I applaud her genius. We all could have done this and did not even, think.

I like the idea of the thread, some of us older folk do tend to go off topic but it leads to some interesting rambling.

Along the lines of your post, I have always been fascinated by the large number of people who make success out of what others consider 'a waste of time', met a lot of them in my life, and I fall into that category too. Most of the people I have spoken to never considered the 'success' factor when they started, if anything it began as a hobby or special interest.

It is amusing that we, as aspies, often look at successful entrepreneurs and wonder about their aspie rating, yet there is so much talk of 'curing' us. This is what currently fascinates me, because if we do find the 'cure' then where does innovation come from?

Aspies are capable of great things, they may not reach the level of world changers, but they are still achievements that arise from the furnace of our differences. If I could change one thing it would be this - stop telling our aspie children that they are 'unfit for purpose', that they cannot function, and start supporting the 'sparks' they create in an otherwise dull sky.

My ramble :)

I cringe when someone (like her daddy) talks about my daughter like she's sick - just because she can't talk or walk right now. She'll be able to do both again in time and just imagine the stories she can tell when she returns from this and grows up! Already she is showing a huge interest in any kind of image media, has ideas for plays she wants to write, wants to do a web show, etc.

I hope she's never 'cured' or conformed! I don't ever want to be either :) I think you need to be outside the box to think outside the box.

I cringe when someone (like her daddy) talks about my daughter like she's sick - just because she can't talk or walk right now. She'll be able to do both again in time and just imagine the stories she can tell when she returns from this and grows up! Already she is showing a huge interest in any kind of image media, has ideas for plays she wants to write, wants to do a web show, etc.

I hope she's never 'cured' or conformed! I don't ever want to be either :) I think you need to be outside the box to think outside the box.

I know it's a difficult subject, my parents took no interest in what I did as a child, which actually worked in my favour. I wasn't diagnosed until I was fifty, so grew up just believing I was different to everyone else. My special interests became my career, and the same thing happened for my kids. I took more interest in them but they were allowed to express themselves freely through their interests, all of them now have lucrative careers doing what they love.

At no point did I believe I was 'disabled', nor did I consider my children to be.

Hopefully your daughter will find full expression for her talents :)

My obsession became my career too - a very lucrative one, stymied (temporarily) only by the comorbidities accompanying my Aspergers. This after years, in the early days, of family and friends believing I was wasting my time - was, indeed, a waste of space.. I'd often hear "When's he going to get a real job?"
It never occurred to me, at the time, to wonder if they might have a point, my single mindedness only allowed me, fortunately, to move in the one direction.
My kids are still young enough not to have found their direction in life yet, but I wholeheartedly support every idea they come up with - you never know which one will be The One!

Exam results are so often made out to be the be-all and end-all, and whilst there may be certain career paths that do require specific qualifications, there are so many more important lessons to learn whilst growing up, that will be of far greater value in life than exam results.

With fine artists, historically speaking, almost the only people to support them were the rich (or religions!). But there also was an unfortunate tendency for the connection to be made posthumously.

Today is a mixed bag with quite a bit of art work being 'for the masses'. You have computer/game graphics, comics/graphic novels, etc, as well as classic forms like painting and sculpture.

You do have the potential for self started projects, but still it usually requires getting the support of some already existing people/company 'in the business'.

I think your suggestion is sound as part of a greater effort to learn about the business end as far as who is doing what and getting your work out of the back waters into the shipping lanes where it can be seen and maybe picked up.

I like the idea of the thread, some of us older folk do tend to go off topic but it leads to some interesting rambling.

Along the lines of your post, I have always been fascinated by the large number of people who make success out of what others consider 'a waste of time', met a lot of them in my life, and I fall into that category too. Most of the people I have spoken to never considered the 'success' factor when they started, if anything it began as a hobby or special interest.

It is amusing that we, as aspies, often look at successful entrepreneurs and wonder about their aspie rating, yet there is so much talk of 'curing' us. This is what currently fascinates me, because if we do find the 'cure' then where does innovation come from?

Aspies are capable of great things, they may not reach the level of world changers, but they are still achievements that arise from the furnace of our differences. If I could change one thing it would be this - stop telling our aspie children that they are 'unfit for purpose', that they cannot function, and start supporting the 'sparks' they create in an otherwise dull sky.

Thanks Harrison, other than spending the rest of my days peacefully and comfortably, my number one issue is setting up or contributing to a scholarship, foundation, or trust for deserving Aspers.
The second issue that seems to motivate me is to encourage those that are beaten down with their face ground into the mud to look up and see.. Opportunities.

Opportunities.

EP, When I read 'oportunities', I saw it in image form - the word in gold type, with gold stars surrounding it and bright light. Couldn't find it in google images, but these images express the flavour of it.

images

images

images

images

stockvault-yellow-background128427_2.jpg

EP, When I read 'oportunities', I saw it in image form - the word in gold type, with gold stars surrounding it and bright light. Couldn't find it in google images, but these images express the flavour of it.

images

images

images

images

V, bless your funky soul, the enlightened box is me, I shivered when I saw it, and still do. Folks have told me what to do but if you tell me step by step, and idiot proof it, I will proudly use the box as my first personal avatar. It is so me, my words can not express my appreciation.
Edit, ps . I am clicking on the image but, nada. Help, please. I want that image if I can use it.

Last edited:

images

images

images

images

V, until I stumbled into this forum I was a light in a sealed crypt. I surrounded myself with a impenetrable bunker with little peep holes that I could see into the "real" world. My thoughts were as extensive as my imagination. You and others as well as me in the inside, pushed the lid from the sarcophagus. Let there be enlightenment, everywhere!

Last edited:
V, bless your funky soul, the enlightened box is me, I shivered when I saw it, and still do. Folks have told me what to do but if you tell me step by step, and idiot proof it, I will proudly use the box as my first personal avatar. It is so me, my words can not express my appreciation.
Edit, ps . I am clicking on the image but, nada. Help, please. I want that image if I can use it.

Hi EP, I found the box on google, I will look for it and get back to you as soon as I find it, I will start looking after I post this post. I'm not very technically minded, so you may need to find someone else to help make the box your avatar. V :)

images
Can he use it from here? Or have to paste it to his clipboard? IDK.....I thought somebody had given directions on how to stick an image in to make an avatar, but I don't remember where. Seems like
it was Harrison. But not this thread.

I'm with your thinking.... Again. Great minds.... Blah blah but true.

With fine artists, historically speaking, almost the only people to support them were the rich (or religions!). But there also was an unfortunate tendency for the connection to be made posthumously.

Today is a mixed bag with quite a bit of art work being 'for the masses'. You have computer/game graphics, comics/graphic novels, etc, as well as classic forms like painting and sculpture.

You do have the potential for self started projects, but still it usually requires getting the support of some already existing people/company 'in the business'.

I think your suggestion is sound as part of a greater effort to learn about the business end as far as who is doing what and getting your work out of the back waters into the shipping lanes where it can be seen and maybe picked up.

I do and will support those that I can, as long as I can lurk in the background and let others take credit/ blame,

images
Can he use it from here? Or have to paste it to his clipboard? IDK.....I thought somebody had given directions on how to stick an image in to make an avatar, but I don't remember where. Seems like
images
I clicked on yours and hit insert but now I have to find where it went. I do have instructions but your post did something? Edit:not in photos.
Edit : and now the picture simply expand and no cut paste banner??? I am frustrated.
Edit: it is in my photos now 2x will go back to my instructions.
Conceptions of time and space, easy!
Stringing words together to make incoherent sentences, easy !
Following simple instructions, hopeless.

Last edited:
I was one of the over-medicated over-therapized Autistic 90's kids, and I ended up becoming a Biology major with an honor's concentration in Biopsychology in College. I technically did not go to a "real" high school and almost failed out my first semester, so that was a big deal for me. I ended up pursuing a PhD in Neuroscience and interning with one of the most successful Pharmaceutical companies in the world. I even got to work directly under the creator of some of the popular medications I did horribly on as a child. :)
I'm still in school, but considering my history I'm moving at a fairly quick pace with a decent number of things behind me. It's yet to be seen if I'll ever be very successful, but odds are good I'll make it. I agree that people with obsessive interests can bring something special to a field, even in fields where communicating with a broad variety of people is important... people on and off the spectrum just need to employ healthy doses of tolerance and patience.

I was one of the over-medicated over-therapized Autistic 90's kids, and I ended up becoming a Biology major with an honor's concentration in Biopsychology in College. I technically did not go to a "real" high school and almost failed out my first semester, so that was a big deal for me. I ended up pursuing a PhD in Neuroscience and interning with one of the most successful Pharmaceutical companies in the world. I even got to work directly under the creator of some of the popular medications I did horribly on as a child. :)
I'm still in school, but considering my history I'm moving at a fairly quick pace with a decent number of things behind me. It's yet to be seen if I'll ever be very successful, but odds are good I'll make it. I agree that people with obsessive interests can bring something special to a field, even in fields where communicating with a broad variety of people is important... people on and off the spectrum just need to employ healthy doses of tolerance and patience.

B, very interesting. I once did an extra credit type thing whilst attending Lascaux high. I persuaded the Biology instructor to do an experiment. He ordered everything I needed.
Bare with me here it was long ago and I can not spell.
Petrie dishes , agar, some kind of cocci bacillus) pnumo or strepto)?
auromycine, streptomycin and I think Terramycin, on little disks or wafers.
I set all the dishes up and contaminated each of them with the bacillus, and incubated until I had flourishing life. Then I divided the dishes into several groups, introduced the disks and developed strains that were immune to the antibiotics. Then I put a strain that was immune to one anti b, into another dish with another anti b, and then took that strain and introduced that strain and introduced that to the third anti b. What I ended up with was, through the stereo microscope was a flattish curve sided lozenge shaped, divided into perhaps 5-7 segments cell or colony. I thought at the time the outside was dead membrane or cells that protected the more alive/ virulent bacillus inside. This took maybe a few weeks and the instructor never followed any of this until I requested his opinion and showed him, with great pride, all my notes. He reads, paled to an ashen grey and says" what in H... Is wrong with you Germans and your fascination with germ warfare." We spent the entire night destroying, autoclaving and sanitizing. He made me promise never to talk about this at school for both our good. Mad Asper at work, I was 14 now 67. First time I told the story.

Last edited:
I clicked on yours and hit insert but now I have to find where it went. I do have instructions but your post did something? Edit:not in photos.
Edit : and now the picture simply expand and no cut paste banner??? I am frustrated.
Edit: it is in my photos now 2x will go back to my instructions.
Conceptions of time and space, easy!
Stringing words together to make incoherent sentences, easy !
Following simple instructions, hopeless.

I like the Edit by Edit update.
I make notes like that to figure out how to do things.
You should have seen my posts a couple months ago
when I was trying to figure out how to capture & place
GIFs. A lot of thrashing around....

I thank everyone that helped me with my avatar. It's easy when you know what you are doing. Let's try to get back to more creative and helpful to others as was the original intent of this thread before I screwed it up with my problem. Words can express my gratitude, and my pleasure with the new avatar. Hoo. rah!

New Threads

Top Bottom