• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Rocking Chair Think Tank.

B, very interesting. I once did an extra credit type thing whilst attending Lascaux high. I persuaded the Biology instructor to do an experiment. He ordered everything I needed.
Bare with me here it was long ago and I can not spell.
Petrie dishes , agar, some kind of cocci bacillus) pnumo or strepto)?
auromycine, streptomycin and I think Terramycin, on little disks or wafers.
I set all the dishes up and contaminated each of them with the bacillus, and incubated until I had flourishing life. Then I divided the dishes into several groups, introduced the disks and developed strains that were immune to the antibiotics. Then I put a strain that was immune to one anti b, into another dish with another anti b, and then took that strain and introduced that strain and introduced that to the third anti b. What I ended up with was, through the stereo microscope was a flattish curve sided lozenge shaped, divided into perhaps 5-7 segments cell or colony. I thought at the time the outside was dead membrane or cells that protected the more alive/ virulent bacillus inside. This took maybe 4-6 weeks and the instructor never followed any of this until I requested his opinion and showed him, with great pride, all my notes. He reads, paled to an ashen grey and says" what in H... Is wrong with you Germans and your fascination with germ warfare." We spent the entire night destroying, autoclaving and sanitizing. He made me promise never to talk about this at school for both our good. Mad Asper at work, I was 14 now 67. First time I told the story.
Nothing ever survives on a plate for that long unless it's deadly, or cancer. I'm not very familiar with microbiology, but with my clumsy motor skills I just stay very very far from anything involving anything more virulent than a mouse transgene vector or e.coli... to which I respond by bleaching everything in sight religiously.

I like the Edit by Edit update.
I make notes like that to figure out how to do things.
You should have seen my posts a couple months ago
when I was trying to figure out how to capture & place
GIFs. A lot of thrashing around....

Tree, I hear you and still much to learn, I hear a tune from yesteryear in my head...... "Breaking out is hard to do."

Nothing ever survives on a plate for that long unless it's deadly, or cancer. I'm not very familiar with microbiology, but with my clumsy motor skills I just stay very very far from anything involving anything more virulent than a mouse transgene vector or e.coli... to which I respond by bleaching everything in sight religiously.
B, I had no idea what I was doing either. It was unsupervised lunacy on my part. The experiment should have been stopped within the first couple of weeks, but I have often thought about the lozenge shaped thing. Later.

How about a different tangent?
I assume, with the inherent dangers of assumptions, that most of us are uncomfortable with social gala events. We do seem rather sociable even chatty, perhaps even garrulous. Do we really " want"or "need" to expose our foibles. Does anyone have regrets with being too sharing?

I offer another.
Other than talking, opining and encouraging our friends and community, is there a way to actually "do" something, other than, virtualize? If this is a true community we must actually act, or is love the only answer. I don't know I was just wondering.

This community has become very dear to me, I have met some of the most intelligent, quick witted and funny, ethically driven people I have ever had the pleasure to know. I would treasure the opportunity to expand the concept of this virtual network in new and interesting ways. National hubs of Aspie's providing succor, respite and work opportunities to empower and foster intellectual pursuits. If an Aspie were to travel they could do so safe in the knowledge that there would be resources available to them in the country they have travelled to. Form a cabal of enterprising wealthy individuals who could channel wealth into these global hubs which in turn would use this money to generate financial operations suited towards members strengths and interests and focus.

This community has become very dear to me, I have met some of the most intelligent, quick witted and funny, ethically driven people I have ever had the pleasure to know. I would treasure the opportunity to expand the concept of this virtual network in new and interesting ways. National hubs of Aspie's providing succor, respite and work opportunities to empower and foster intellectual pursuits. If an Aspie were to travel they could do so safe in the knowledge that there would be resources available to them in the country they have travelled to. Form a cabal of enterprising wealthy individuals who could channel wealth into these global hubs which in turn would use this money to generate financial operations suited towards members strengths and interests and focus.

Qwerty, my friend I did not think I could get away with saying any of that. Exactly spot on and perfect almost brought tears to my eyes to have a vision confirmed. The problem is I am very poor in group action, a loner with some talent and some means. Let's develop this slowly, perhaps others would play a role. This needs to be done, right, almost out the gate.

V, until I stumbled into this forum I was a light in a sealed crypt. I surrounded myself with a impenetrable bunker with little peep holes that I could see into the "real" world. My thoughts were as extensive as my imagination. You and others as well as me in the inside, pushed the lid from the sarcophagus. Let there be enlightenment, everywhere!
Interesting, that's how I interpreted the avatar when I first saw it, pushing the lid back from a sarcophagus. I took it to be a symbol of rebirth and optimism, though I wasn't sure what it's intended interpretation was.

Other avatars I've used in the past was one of a phoenix (the one below is similar, but not identical), and the Gânditorul de la Hamangia, a small statue found on the Black sea coast reported to be at least 5,500 years old.
FieryPhoenix001.jpg

Ganditorul.jpg

Interesting, that's how I interpreted the avatar when I first saw it, pushing the lid back from a sarcophagus. I took it to be a symbol of rebirth and optimism, though I wasn't sure what it's intended interpretation was.

Other avatars I've used in the past was one of a phoenix (the one below is similar, but not identical), and the Gânditorul de la Hamangia, a small statue found on the Black sea coast reported to be at least 5,500 years old.
View attachment 18584

View attachment 18585
Progster. Thanks , I do believe that there is an abundance of kindness and talent here. I wanted something, elegantly simple, expressive and powerful so when the image was posted to me, I had an Eureka moment. With the help from my friends, we got it up.
I am ready to get back to work, and will lurk around the Rocking chair, between chores. Later.

Last edited:
EP, When I read 'oportunities', I saw it in image form - the word in gold type, with gold stars surrounding it and bright light. Couldn't find it in google images, but these images express the flavour of it.

images

images

images

images

stockvault-yellow-background128427_2.jpg
Vinca, again I want to thank you for the image you posted to and for me. I am so pleased

Last edited:

View attachment 18584

View attachment 18585
Progster, the firebird is so hot, but your spin on Dark Side is cool ...still.

I once read why Chinese restaurants were so ubiquitous. It seems that they form groups of 10 and pool thoughts, tips, advice and resources amongst the 10 in the group.
Apparently all are equals in regards to their contributions towards a shared goal and the rewards are pooled to the benefit of the entire group. The groups flourish and new groups form and re seed the idea.
This appeals to my thinking. The details may need thought. The numbers could change or vary but the general principle strikes a chord.
Perhaps the leadership by AC and the direction chosen by the group, the aid and support of those who can spare a bit to support a few that we think are potential movers and shakers. Let think this out and see what we can, DO.

I was reading a post by Karin, among others and I keyed in on the point that Autism may run in families, generational. I was wondering about Aspers specifically. Do Aspers run in families. Not in mine.

I was reading a post by Karin, among others and I keyed in on the point that Autism may run in families, generational. I was wondering about Aspers specifically. Do Aspers run in families. Not in mine.

In mine they do. My kids are aspies, three grandkids are and the other is autistic. I'd place good money on my mother being aspie too.

I assume, with the inherent dangers of assumptions, that most of us are uncomfortable with social gala events. We do seem rather sociable even chatty, perhaps even garrulous. Do we really " want"or "need" to expose our foibles. Does anyone have regrets with being too sharing?

I am far too old an 'internet rat' to share anything I would not like to be faced with at some later time. The problem can be what I share about others. Will my daughter one day find my writings here? Probably not. Will my husband? Potentially, so I have to consider that. As for sharing in a forum like this in general, most of my best and most interesting friends are people I have never seen. I love internet for giving me the world!

I think there is value in being able to express oneself, to say 'this is me', 'this is how/what I think', in an environment where there is acceptance and understaning, and that perhaps many on here have limited if any other opportunities to experience this.

There are things that I am able to share on here that I don't know who else or where else I could share them and be confindent that the people I was talking to would 'get it'.

Whilst I spend time editing my posts to make them as accurate as possible and I certainly try to be considerate of others, I think that not filtering the content of what I say feels much more natural to me, and that filtering actually requires alot of effort. Knowing what is and isn't appropriate to say, to whom and when, IRL, takes so much thought and energy

If every member of my family were to have a copy of everything I'd written on here and to sit reading it outloud, infront of me, I might have some regrets, but hopefully that will never happen!

I am far too old an 'internet rat' to share anything I would not like to be faced with at some later time. The problem can be what I share about others. Will my daughter one day find my writings here? Probably not. Will my husband? Potentially, so I have to consider that. As for sharing in a forum like this in general, most of my best and most interesting friends are people I have never seen. I love internet for giving me the world!

Karin, I've been on on social sites perhaps a month. I don't face, twit, or any other media. This is my only involvement with the world in general, my family, my mission.

In mine they do. My kids are aspies, three grandkids are and the other is autistic. I'd place good money on my mother being aspie too.

Harrison, delighted to read you. I was talking to my wife and was going to make a point with some statistics, that I did not have.
Has Aspers population ever been quantified or put in terms of per cents.
I'm wore out tonight, I'm think I'm going to dig into the bright spots on Ceres. I enlarged and think it looks like that weird ice that grows out the earth. I must have a name, I bet the Eskimos have a name for it. Is that hoarfrost ? Any way looks like an ice ( methane) just under the surface that when the sunlight hits it liquified and then cascades and vaporizes into the crater. The Ceres version of Bridal Vail falls. The little grey cells hum.

Last edited:
Harrison, delighted to read you. I was talking to my wife and was going to make a point with some statistics, that I did not have.
Has Aspers population ever been quantified or put in terms of per cents.
I'm wore out tonight, I'm think I'm going to dig into the bright spots on Ceres. I enlarged and think it looks like that weird ice that grows out the earth. I must have a name, I bet the Eskimos have a name for it. Is that hoarfrost ? Any way looks like an ice ( methane) just under the surface that when the sunlight hits it liquified and then cascades and vaporizes into the crater. The Ceres version of Bridal Vail falls. The little grey cells hum.

There are statistics, but bear in mind they are extrapolated from children diagnosed. There are a lot of undiagnosed adult aspies out there, this site is a good indication of that.

Haven't seen the new Ceres pics yet, will look them up today. Those spots fascinate me but I'm with you, I think it's frozen methane.

Karin, I've been on on social sites perhaps a month. I don't face, twit, or any other media. This is my only involvement with the world in general, my family, my mission.

I consider myself a very chatty recluse :) I don't really do the social medias but I love a good forum. Finding a international group of people with a shared interest is something I have enjoyed doing for several years.

'In my own time' is very important to me. I much prefer to be able to join the chat and leave the chat as it suits me. That's very hard to do in real life. Apart from the demands on my time meeting physically with people, time that is very limited to me at present, I also tend to get very intense with people face to face and thus drained afterwards.

New Threads

Top Bottom