• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The overall lack of ethics and hypocrisy in society is very difficult to tolerate for me.

Swansong

I'm from a culture where all forms of cheating, corruption and dishonesty are endemic and massively widespread.

And while I'm certainly no saint and I've had my share of ethical failings in life, I at least really try and improve and I think I have a solid baseline for what's right and I'm somewhat rigid about it.

The issue is that through out my life I've been treated like an alien for it, I've heard some variation of the phrase "You don't seem like you were born here" many times through life. People react with borderline bafflement when I didn't cheat in college even when everyone else did, when I find it unpleasant how almost everyone cheats to their partners (and how matter of fact its treated), how corruption is everyone and you're a sucker if you're constantly looking out for every possible way to screw others for your own benefit.

And these certainly aren't values that were instilled on me by anyone growing up, as everyone around were as decadent as corrupt as anyone else. It's just the way I am, perhaps it's related to my extremely peculiar nature that I speculate to be at least autism adjacent.

And it's not like I'm naïve or anything, it's just I find it so unbearably irrational that a society on the surface constantly preaches all these values but in practice almost everyone eschews them constantly. Because this sure is a very supposedly religious society filled with a whole of preachy people that do all these things all the same. Meanwhile I haven't believed in anything super natural since I was like seven and I still at least try to hold myself to these ideals, because why have them at all then? why don't we all just accept that we're decadent a-holes and just do whatever we want without all the sanctimonious layer?

Of course, the answer to that question is because most humans want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to think they're generally ethical and decent even if in practice they can't be bothered doing the sacrifices that entails. And that cognitive dissonance is just too annoying, so they just ignore it.

And so we end up with these insane societies filled with absurdity, hypocrisy and contradictions so silly and obvious that even a child could plainly see but most act as if its all entirely normal and perfectly natural.

I don't know if it's autism related or just me being me but that sort of blatant, contradictory absurdity just drives me insane and makes being a part of society exceedingly difficult.

My father often told me that I was too honourable for my own good. He was a lawyer and a politician. He also never understood why so many people liked me and respected me, something he never experienced.

Most people tend to forget who white Australians really are.

250 years ago England went through a right wing period of politics and as is usually the case it ended up being the poor people who were blamed for all the world’s wrongs. So England rounded up every undesirable they could find and shipped them all off to Australia.

We’re a nation founded by petty criminals and confidence tricksters. Many of our most successful criminals are now called Politicians. :)

I just simply don't like humans, other than those few that I have specified that I care about. I won't go into the whole thing here but people really disgust me and I absolutely do not believe that most are inherently good.
I do still have a lot of empathy for people I care about though, almost to a fault. And one of the reasons I hate humans is because of how mean and unempathetic they are. I don't think anyone deserves to be treated the way I've been treated, or how I regularly see people treat each other. It's very depressing.

I find myself becoming more cynical about people/the human race with each passing day it seems :-(

I believe a lot of what disappoints me about people is closely tied up with late stage capitalism. It's like the more you consume and the more shiny stuff you have, the more virtuous you are, and you get more shiny stuff because you are virtuous, because you have shiny stuff, because you are virtuous because you have shiny stuff...

Then there's cruelty, indifference and abuse towards others less fortunate. Misattribution Error and Just World Hypothesis.

It's like most people can't see how imbalanced the equation is, while the few that can feel like they are going insane watching it all take place.

Sorry I promise I will try and be more positive in my next post!

I'm lucky to live in a place where most people most of the time play by the rules, and so I generally don't have to worry about others cutting the line, getting favours, being shortchanged, or to encounter dishonest businesses (taxis being a notorious one in many places).

It does pain me greatly when I see people cheat, and more so when they get away with it, to the detriment of those who were playing by the rules.

Personally, I place great value on order (I suppose in part because it also makes things predictable rather than chaotic), but besides justice, I also value fairness and sharing. For example, if my local supermarket has my favorite soup on sale and there's only 10 cans left, I might choose to buy 8 and leave 2 behind for whoever comes along so they don't leave empty handed. It's quite irrational, to care for a random person whom I won't even meet or know about, but I feel that there's an implied obligation to always try to make the world a better place, however we can.

I do think I might have to get this t-shirt...

th-1759077050.jpg

I'm from a culture where all forms of cheating, corruption and dishonesty are endemic and massively widespread.

And while I'm certainly no saint and I've had my share of ethical failings in life, I at least really try and improve and I think I have a solid baseline for what's right and I'm somewhat rigid about it.

The issue is that through out my life I've been treated like an alien for it, I've heard some variation of the phrase "You don't seem like you were born here" many times through life. People react with borderline bafflement when I didn't cheat in college even when everyone else did, when I find it unpleasant how almost everyone cheats to their partners (and how matter of fact its treated), how corruption is everyone and you're a sucker if you're constantly looking out for every possible way to screw others for your own benefit.

And these certainly aren't values that were instilled on me by anyone growing up, as everyone around were as decadent as corrupt as anyone else. It's just the way I am, perhaps it's related to my extremely peculiar nature that I speculate to be at least autism adjacent.

And it's not like I'm naïve or anything, it's just I find it so unbearably irrational that a society on the surface constantly preaches all these values but in practice almost everyone eschews them constantly. Because this sure is a very supposedly religious society filled with a whole of preachy people that do all these things all the same. Meanwhile I haven't believed in anything super natural since I was like seven and I still at least try to hold myself to these ideals, because why have them at all then? why don't we all just accept that we're decadent a-holes and just do whatever we want without all the sanctimonious layer?

Of course, the answer to that question is because most humans want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to think they're generally ethical and decent even if in practice they can't be bothered doing the sacrifices that entails. And that cognitive dissonance is just too annoying, so they just ignore it.

And so we end up with these insane societies filled with absurdity, hypocrisy and contradictions so silly and obvious that even a child could plainly see but most act as if its all entirely normal and perfectly natural.

I don't know if it's autism related or just me being me but that sort of blatant, contradictory absurdity just drives me insane and makes being a part of society exceedingly difficult.
Do not become upset about things over which you have no control. It frustrates you but doesn't change anything. The only thing we have control over is what we do - and we don't even have total control over that.

I am sure if I was to get involved with the community in which I reside in and I mean, join events and go to neighbours etc, I would find a lot of unscrupleous people, but due to agroaphobia, I am actually saved from that kind of life and my faith helps, because the people I "hang around with" are those of my faith, and they have good ethics and we are taught every week, how to behave, if we want to be decent people.

As a child, it was often said that I was different from those around me, due to having a sense of right and wrong.

When I was a young adult and married, I stopped getting newspapers, because I could not stand how most of it was gossip; rather anything truly worth reading and seem to glorify all that is wrong. My husband laughed at my silent protest ie stop buying the papers. Said: do you honestly think you doing that, will stop them? Of course not! But, it helped my conscious.

I really loved a female singer, because she was full of ethics and did not follow the greater crowd. Helped, of course that I enjoyed her music lol. But, as an adult, it is like she has decided to live how a teen would and doing and saying all kinds of things that I disagree with and thus, have stopped listening to her music.

I refuse to listen to someone's music ( however great the sound is) if I get to know they are not decent people.

Recently it was illustrated like this ( meaning how people have no morals). Take away the highway code, so that everyone can drive how they want to. Well, soon it would be an absolute disaster! More so then now.

I feel you. I feel you. Consider however that your ability to present yourself as righteous is not innate but a circumstantial luxury. Many know this and willingly swallow their pride and become lesser to keep living in comfort. The righteous path is ultimately a self-destructive one. I may denounce all I consider to be a crime, I will never justify or excuse it, but I obviously don't lift a finger to fight it either. This means in my heart of hearts, I've chosen myself over others.
money.png

It's difficult for me talk about politics in YOUR language.

I just want to remember the "scandals" making our first republic collapse.

P2, G.L.A.D.I.O. (thank you Yankees), Ustica, Sigonella, CCCP collapse, Andreotti, Craxi's escape. Without forgetting who got the house key after the war.

I just can't think how "clean" the new "men" raised from the ashes are.

Attachments

• IMG_20221106_153346.jpg
    IMG_20221106_153346.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 44
It's threads like these that are a reminder that if given the opportunity to wave a magic wand and make me "normal",...I would never do it. I sort of like my position in society,...present, on the periphery, can interact when I want to,...but not really part of their tribe. When I see humans behaving badly, it's real easy to disconnect myself from them. I like living my own life, without having or wanting anyone's input or opinion,...if I want to do something, I can pretty much do it. The path of least resistance in my life,...is avoiding and ignoring others who might give me resistance.

It's a interesting mindset to have when you look like other humans,...but your thoughts and actions, by nature, are rather divergent. I don't feel connected to them at all. It's like I have this extraterrestrial, alien consciousness stuck into this human body, like some sort of possession.

The world is full of these humans with hypocritical, predatory, deceitful, emotional, irrational, greedy behaviors,...the need for tribalism and group think, etc. I can observe it, but I don't really have the perspective or context many times to understand it,...and when I am subjected to it, or it effects my life in some way, it just leaves me confused and angry.

Not to mention those movements that are so aggressively attempting to appeal to peoples' baser instincts, and not to make them better human beings. Making the world a sad place to be in so many alleged "civilized" places.

Drives me crazy too. I even have pissed people off online with my principles as well. For example, woman cheats on her partner with a guy at her job, she decides to break it off with him and the guy finds out she had a partner already. Instead of doing the right thing and going to him to tell him she cheated on him with him, he decides to blackmail her to having sex with him but instead she goes to HR. Now both these people sucked because she cheated on her partner and this man was trying to black mail her which is also not okay. This man was stupid what he did. What people couldn't seem to grasp was you can be a horrible partner and still be a victim and I didn't have a issue with her going to HR because she did what she had to do because this man was trying to blackmail her to sleep with him. But people were mad I judged the woman too for cheating but how does cheating make it okay all of a sudden and I don't understand how a bad behavior can be cancelled if someone did something worse than you. Imagine if a black guy was raping me so I started yelling racial slurs at him, is rape all of a sudden okay now because I was racist?

I swear people play the rating game of "what is worse" before they judge or punish anyone. How about they both suck? Neither of them were right.

Also I saw a study somewhere saying that people on the spectrum tend to be more loyal and have better principles. But just remember, people will try and find justifications to act badly and think something is warranted because the other person did X or said X.

It's threads like these that are a reminder that if given the opportunity to wave a magic wand and make me "normal",...I would never do it. I sort of like my position in society,...present, on the periphery, can interact when I want to,...but not really part of their tribe. When I see humans behaving badly, it's real easy to disconnect myself from them. I like living my own life, without having or wanting anyone's input or opinion,...if I want to do something, I can pretty much do it. The path of least resistance in my life,...is avoiding and ignoring others who might give me resistance.

It's a interesting mindset to have when you look like other humans,...but your thoughts and actions, by nature, are rather divergent. I don't feel connected to them at all. It's like I have this extraterrestrial, alien consciousness stuck into this human body, like some sort of possession.

The world is full of these humans with hypocritical, predatory, deceitful, emotional, irrational, greedy behaviors,...the need for tribalism and group think, etc. I can observe it, but I don't really have the perspective or context many times to understand it,...and when I am subjected to it, or it effects my life in some way, it just leaves me confused and angry.
I think this sums it all up pretty well for me. I just prefer to kinda keep out of the way and fly under the radar. I don't like catching people's attention the vast majority of the time.

People in the main don't seem to understand that I just prefer to quietly get on with the things that are a priority for me. The social dance that others like to engage in feels to me like a total waste of time and effort and doesn't appeal to me one bit. I don't mind being a little social now and then, but I have to be in the right frame of mind.

Metaphorically, it's like having a shellfish allergy, being told you have to go to have a meal with a group of people. Of course they want shellfish, you politely decline the meal, but they insist you must stay and consume shellfish, because not doing so makes them, the group, uncomfortable. So you consume the shellfish and the inevitable happens. You certainly don't enjoy the shellfish.

Metaphorically, it's like having a shellfish allergy, being told you have to go to have a meal with a group of people. Of course they want shellfish, you politely decline the meal, but they insist you must stay and consume shellfish, because not doing so makes them, the group, uncomfortable. So you consume the shellfish and the inevitable happens. You certainly don't enjoy the shellfish.
That's a good one.

New Threads

Top Bottom