• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The opposite of obsession?

mg81

Do any of you guys have a deep loathing of anything that most people would consider abnormal? Im not talking about typical stuff like loud noises or anything that could be considered unpleasant by most standards. You know, something that might even be an obsession for someone else. I have a couple and I would love to hear from the rest of you guys.

For me, its stickers! I have no good reason why but I cant stand stickers. In the few instances where someone might have put a sticker on me in the past, i have to get it off of me immediately and i try not to look like a crazy person in the process. I just get this weird disgusted feeling when i am stuck with a sticker! The same thing with my stuff but to a lesser degree. Keep your stickers away from my things!!

I have more but ill post them later. Break is over, time for work!

The older I get... the more I have this feeling of resentment of anything that's not my obsession.

Yes, it makes my world a lot smaller... it also makes me a lot happier, lol

Board games. I have a deep loathing for them. Other things too, but this seems to be a big one that people don't understand. I hate them, they're boring, and I want nothing to do with them.

I think this builds on the sticker thing, but I also can't stand prints or logos on clothes. All the clothing I own is plain or has a very simple pattern like stripes or plaid. I don't like the idea of paying for a shirt that just acts as a big advertisement for the brand. Shouldnt they be paying people to wear their shirts? That's how it works with billboards or print ads. I think it's the greatest trick the fashion industry ever pulled, aside from maybe charging thousands for an outfit just because "someone" designed it.

Polyester. It just rubs me wrong every way, and I'm not just talking about the feel of it on my skin.

Also, hipsters but I can't do anything about them.

I'm sorry; I got stupid. Can I get that 'hipsters' part edited out and replaced with 'sand'? I just don't like it's feel on my feet and the hassle in dealing with it, so I just keep my shoes on instead.

Baseball on tv...growing up I was ambidexterous...went thru one period where one week I caught the ball in my right hand and threw it with my left. Next week I caught the ball in my left hand and threw it righty...then when I caught the ball in my left hand, threw off the glove so I could throw the ball with my left hand...that's it, I quit baseball.

I was good in football ;)

Glitter. I hate glitter. I hate picking up cards in the store thinking it may be a nice card for someone and then I look at my hand and there is glitter all over it. And you can't get that stuff off of you entirely no matter what you do. And I don't believe we can ever rid the earth of all of the glitter we humans have created. I think in millions of years after humans are gone and all the remnants of our past are long gone to history there will still be a speck of glitter sticking to a bit of untouched soil and that will be our unfortunate legacy.

Groups. I feel very hostile towards groups of people, whether it's just a group of friends hanging out, a club, anything. I don't feel hostile towards the individual but I don't understand the mental process behind being in a group for the sake of it and it just really irks me.

I hated clubs, loud places but I guess thats normal for us.

Hmm... I hate wearing jeans, and wearing anything formal still bugs me as I feel every little fiber in the pants and shirt, and it makes me feel really uncomfortable.

I hhhaaaaaate it when people aren't courteous by my own standards and I hate it when people ask me personal questions, to the point of paranoia. (It sucks for me b/c I'm Chinese too and Chinese ppl ask a lot of questions which north americans would consider private anyway, but I take the hatred of this FAR beyond most Americans by lashing out on the spot. I even know they don't mean it personally or with any malice, its just I can't stand answering such questions to ppl I don't know well!)

I've driven off some of my parent's friends by overreacting to them asking me "personal" questions, for example:

(P.S. All of this would be in Cantonese)

mom's friend: Wow, have you lost any weight recently?

me: What? You've lived in Canada now for 25 f%%king years already, don't you know its NOT appropriate to ask me stuff like that???!?!!!!

Mom's friend in shock

the end

"Reality" TV. Then again, it's common for even neurotypicals to despise that so perhaps it doesn't count. I'm going to say most team sports. They just don't interest me, never have. However, individual sports such as figure skating, snowboarding, swimming, etc. are interesting to watch, especially in the Olympics. I'm actually excited for the Sochi Olympics. RUSSIA! How does one go about volunteering? I so would if it was possible :3.

I find most sports dull and boring especially football (soccer) and cricket. I think it might be because they are played by the kind of young men who are aggressive and competitive which I can't stand. A lot of guys that like these sports seem to think that every other guy in existence is interested in it too. I got into a taxi cab once and after I told the driver where I wanted to go he immediately said "Did you see the game last night?" as though I should automatically be interested in football. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of guys that like sport are very ignorant and narrow minded.

I like watching soccer too, am I narrow minded? :p I watch it during the world cup and stuff and there's all this cultural stuff surrounding which interests me.

Hmmm... what else do I hate.... I absolutely hate being interrupted doing something I enjoy. My dream one day is to have unlimited money just to go live in an old of the way place but with food still close by. I'll only keep a cell phone which I only turn on to call other people and then turn it back off again. I'd never be interrupted ever again! :cool: Too bad it will never happen...:mad:

I like watching soccer too, am I narrow minded? :p I watch it during the world cup and stuff and there's all this cultural stuff surrounding which interests me.

Hmmm... what else do I hate.... I absolutely hate being interrupted doing something I enjoy. My dream one day is to have unlimited money just to go live in an old of the way place but with food still close by. I'll only keep a cell phone which I only turn on to call other people and then turn it back off again. I'd never be interrupted ever again! :cool: Too bad it will never happen...:mad:
I'm definitely not saying you are narrow minded but I think there is a hardcore element of football fans who are. But there are of course intelligent football fans who do see the wider aspects of the game and not just the rivalry and aggression. I must admit I sometimes do watch the odd game in the world cup just for the drama.

I'm definitely not saying you are narrow minded but I think there is a hardcore element of football fans who are. But there are of course intelligent football fans who do see the wider aspects of the game and not just the rivalry and aggression. I must admit I sometimes do watch the odd game in the world cup just for the drama.

No, I know exactly what you mean. I think soccer fans are hilariously crazy, I enjoy seeing them go bonkers.... from a distance! But seeing your team score a goal in soccer must be the best feeling as you only get like one goal a game or so? Anyway I kinda understand their craziness as I'm a pretty hardcore/diehard ice hockey fan from Canada so I understand how it feels to win and lose. :p. Just me though.

No, I know exactly what you mean. I think soccer fans are hilariously crazy, I enjoy seeing them go bonkers.... from a distance! But seeing your team score a goal in soccer must be the best feeling as you only get like one goal a game or so? Anyway I kinda understand their craziness as I'm a pretty hardcore/diehard ice hockey fan from Canada so I understand how it feels to win and lose. :p. Just me though.

I think that ice hockey has to be one of the most competitive sports there is probably even more than soccer. I think that its a communal thing when someones team scores a goal and people can go through several emotions like elation, joy and relief all rolled into one. I think its also a positive and ancient thing which goes to the very heart of human nature like identifying with a group and working together for a common goal.:)

Volleyball. I do not believe it is a real sport. I hate it with a passion and wish destruction upon it. I'm not a sport-hater, but that one really bothers me.

Quick list:

1) Any type of software that is not fully open source. Examples: Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, iTunes.
2) Apologists for government surveillance. Example: "If you have nothing to fear, you have nothing to hide."
3) Targeted advertising. I sincerely hope that the people who make money from this die a horribly slow and painful death.
4) Anything that generates revenue for Google (see #3).
5) Fundamentalist religion.
6) When Mac users have the dock always visible on the bottom of their screen. I have no idea why that annoys me to no end.
7) Apple, Windows, and tablet/smartphone operating systems (see #1).
8) The MP3 format for music. Ogg and FLAC are objectively better than MP3.
9) Prime notation for derivatives. Just use Leibniz notation or dot notation.
10) People who cannot/refuse to think logically.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom