• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The one thing you can just do which nobody understands...

The only thing I can seriously think of is that I don't do envy or jealousy. Which sometimes seems to put me at odds with other people having done nothing at all. I just know I've never personally encountered anyone else with a similar mindset. Consequently I've learned to seldom mention it to others.

I live my life with the resources I actually have. Not those of others...or those I simply don't have. It's just logic to me...not a violation of some unwritten social law.

Sometimes I wonder if it's one of those factors which has helped to keep me alive all these years...

I don't do envy or jealousy.

I live my life with the resources I actually have. Not those of others...or those I simply don't have. It's just logic to me...not a violation of some unwritten social law.
I wanted to be like the popular guy at school, or the guy with the nice car, or the guy with the girlfriend and such like, but I realise, with the benefit of maturity, that I just wanted their smiling, laughing, chatting social skills.
But I agree, I don't do jealousy.. or hold grudges.. or feel hate. I see no point to it.

Learning foreign languages and my ability to understand the logic in grammar and being able to deduct it from sentences without having to actually learn rules as such.

My memory is ridiculously good.

Yep, same here. I'm also good at picking up foreign languages, and in the past I have surprised people at how quickly I've managed to learn a language.

We can do exceptional things because our brains are visual; we think visually, we remember details visually. That means we have a vast library of info to work with. No, I'm not sure about math/music (which are aspects of the same language) but I suspect that Aspergers who are math/music talented are actually processing music and math visually. We are unaware that much of this is taking place because we are Intuitive - which means that our thinking is mostly unconscious. It's nonverbal. How this plays out depends on the individual. Despite testing very high on verbal aptitude tests, I think in pictures. That means that I have to translate my visual content into words, so it can be very frustrating and difficult to express what's going on in my brain. Visual processing / memory are SO MUCH MORE DENSE with information than typical brains that "run on" words. Word language is very general and non-specific - that's why Neurotypicals seem so "empty." They miss seeing SO MUCH of what we see.

Agree with this, too. When I'm learning a new language, I remember the word on the page because I retain a visual image, and I'm good at spelling because of this, too. Not that I'm perfect, I still make the odd mistake or typo.This is how I manage to learn languages despite not being a very verbal person; my main strength lies in my visual memory. When a word is written wrong, it just looks wrong, it has the wrong shape. Words can have other feelings or associations attached to them too, which also helps me to learn.

Zone out at will for prolonged periods as efficiently as any Buddhist llama. I can turn myself off.

New Threads

Top Bottom