• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The last thing you bought?

From CEX last night, a DVD boxset of all 4 Karate Kid movies for £1.50.

Today I've booked 2 Uber Taxis to a meeting at Autism Plus and back home.

A set of size 1, 2 and 3 Morse taper release drifts.

20181203_121751.jpg

2 Coffees in a local Bar, and a week's worth of Lottery tickets and this week's TV Choice (all next week's soap spoilers).

And yesterday Dad bought my week's shopping, would've bought it myself but annoyingly there was considerably less loot on my card than I thought there was, so it got declined at the Checkout, so I had to phone me Dad to bail me out.

From the Co-op: vacuum-packed cooked beetroot, a punnet of strawberries, porridge oats, loo paper, a fennel bulb, cotton wool pads and a bag of conference pears.

A plush Pac-Man that makes different sounds from the arcade game, and a 25$ gift card from Canadian Tire for my dad at Christmas. He really likes shopping at Canadian Tire.:)

An Orange J2O at the Theatre yesterday afternoon.

Booked a Taxi to go back home, originally I booked an Uber, but I cancelled that because I wasn't paying extra due to surge pricing after 5 PM, so I booked a local firm Excel, damn thing didn't turn up though so I had to cancel that as well and walk in the freezing cold for a Tram back home.

Never using Excel again (in theory, knowing me I'll ring them again next time I need cab after 5! Last 3 out of 4 times I've used them the driver ain't even turned up!)

This Quinn electronic bolt torque transducer with programmable visual and audio alerts:
Quinn electronic torque transducer.jpg
It converts any socket style wrench into a torque wrench when it is necessary to assure a fastener is tightened properly.

This combination adjustable wrench with a half inch drive ratchet head:
Half inch drive adjustable wrench.jpg

Both new tools combined to use them as a torque wrench:
Half inch drive torque wrench.jpg

I always wanted an electronic Crescent hammer I can torque lug nuts with, and now I own one :D

I might just have too many tools.
Na, one can never have too many tools :p

A beautifully made vintage quilt at a second-hand store for fifteen dollars. It makes me sad to see such beautiful things valued for so little and not treasured by families. The one I bought is a depression era quilt in this same pattern, the squares are blue and the green in this quilt is made with yellow fabric, the background is white instead of red like this one.

6637 depr old maids patience.jpg

Last edited:
A beautifully made vintage quilt at a second-hand store for fifteen dollars. It makes me sad to see such beautiful things valued for so little and not treasured by families. The one I bought is a depression era quilt in this same pattern, the stars are blue and the green in this quilt is made with yellow fabric in mine, the ground is white like this one.

View attachment 50338
Hi, Mia.
Instead of sadness that some family did not treasure this quilt,
consider that the family probably let this quilt go to find a better home.
I shop almost exclusively at thrift stores for many reasons---
not least among them that the manufacturing of clothing and textiles
extracts a huge environmental toll.

Whilst shopping in these thrift stores, I am often overwhelmed with the
possible histories of the items that I see. I can get "lost" for quite some time deducing some,
imagining yet more, of the past lives of these items and their givers.
Some induce sadness, some melancholy, triumph, nostalgia, joy, --- the list is nearly endless.

No matter what I may think of an item and it's possible history, or those that relinquished it,
I know, without a doubt, that it took an act--- not a passive "allowance"---
for it to end up in the store.
Somewhere, someone felt that someone else may want, or even need this item.
I have seen some of the greatest joy wash over a person finding a simple item like
the one that you found--- It may have been their only shelter against a long cold night.

And so, when I must eventually finish my "shopping", and leave the store, I am always left with
a powerful sense of love.
Charity is love.

Don't be sad for perceived neglect--- be joyous that you are able to safeguard such a treasure---
and then rejoice again when you are able to pass the love that this quilt has accumulated
on to another appreciative soul, knowing that you have imbued it with some love of your own.

Think I'm going to get dressed and head down to the thrift store, now.
Who knows what'll be waiting there, for me.

sidd

New Threads

Top Bottom