• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The last thing you bought?

Hi, Mia.
Instead of sadness that some family did not treasure this quilt,
consider that the family probably let this quilt go to find a better home.
I shop almost exclusively at thrift stores for many reasons---
not least among them that the manufacturing of clothing and textiles
extracts a huge environmental toll.

Whilst shopping in these thrift stores, I am often overwhelmed with the
possible histories of the items that I see. I can get "lost" for quite some time deducing some,
imagining yet more, of the past lives of these items and their givers.
Some induce sadness, some melancholy, triumph, nostalgia, joy, --- the list is nearly endless.

No matter what I may think of an item and it's possible history, or those that relinquished it,
I know, without a doubt, that it took an act--- not a passive "allowance"---
for it to end up in the store.
Somewhere, someone felt that someone else may want, or even need this item.
I have seen some of the greatest joy wash over a person finding a simple item like
the one that you found--- It may have been their only shelter against a long cold night.

And so, when I must eventually finish my "shopping", and leave the store, I am always left with
a powerful sense of love.
Charity is love.

Don't be sad for perceived neglect--- be joyous that you are able to safeguard such a treasure---
and then rejoice again when you are able to pass the love that this quilt has accumulated
on to another appreciative soul, knowing that you have imbued it with some love of your own.

Think I'm going to get dressed and head down to the thrift store, now.
Who knows what'll be waiting there, for me.

sidd
I do volunteer work in a second hand store that helps support our county food bank ;)

Mezzaluna:

815k%2BtBdeAL._SX425_.jpg

(Yet another) pair of walking boots.

Was gifted some cash for Christmas.

Found myself in the right place at the right time.
Boxing Day sales = boots reduced.
Junior section of the store had a pair to fit me = boots even cheaper.

Walked out of the store (not in the boots :) ) with some decent footwear for under £25.

Lady Luck was smiling down on me in that moment.
Happy, happy, happy :)

An Amazon card, milk, a pack of hot dogs, a bag of sweet and salty popcorn, and a Zoomer Hungry Bunny that was only around $16 at Shoppers Drug Mart. You feed her paper snacks and she poops out confetti.:laughing:

A copy of Starlink: Battle for Atlas on Xbox One, 2 birthday cards, 2 coffees, that was yesterday. Today I've bought a regular Pepsi Max (no ice), and a regular Tango Ice Blast.

I bought this Nerf Rival blaster, a 12-round magazine, and a bunch of extra BALLLZ for my youth group's Nerf war that is going to happen sometime during the spring or summer. It launches the Rival balls at 100 FPS, comes with a 7-round magazine, 7 balls (although I wish it came with 2 or 3 7-round mags plus 14 or 21 rounds). It is bolt action, and the bolt is removable and can be placed on either side, so it is suitable for both left-and-right hand users. The safety selector (yes, this does need a safety selector, since toy guns that shoot projectiles at more than 100 FPS are required to have a safety, if I am not mistaken. Might be 90 or something FPS, tho) is also accessible from both sides of the weapon, but is not removable. It is just on both sides. I enjoy removing the 7-round mag it came with by just pressing down on the release with the part of my right wrist and bottom of my hand meet, and then letting gravity do the rest. The mag won't be damaged, since it has rubber at the bottom. Here is some pictures:
DSCF4812.JPG

DSCF4815.JPG

I also have a video. This is just of me loading/reloading the gun. As you can see, the 7-round magazine can just simply drop out, while the 12-round magazine can't. I tried my best to get the 12-rounder to drop, but it never budged, not even while I was shaking it. Here is a video comparing the two. And, yes. I was using body language to show you how I feel about it.
I bought the gun, the extra mag, and the extra ammo at Target for a total of $54 (USD, of course). I also have enough money for the Rival red dot sight attachment, but it was all out of stock at the location I went to. The store's stocks are probably still recovering from all the Christmas and year-end sales. I also need a sling so I can grab a sidearm easier without actually having to drop my primary blaster entirely.

Attachments

• DSCF4812.JPG
    DSCF4812.JPG
    482.7 KB · Views: 0
Another oddity to add to my museum of oddities/home
telephone.jpg

Believe it or not, it is yet another touch tone telephone :)

The amusing part is where I don't have a landline :p

A NERF gun for my nephew's 11th birthday next month (which I have to take back, apparently he's already got the one I bought), and an equivalent priced toy for my niece's birthday next week, which I've already posted off to London.

2 NERF guns from Argos.

I had to take the first one back because my soon to be 11 year old nephew's already got the one I bought, I bought another one last week, and he's already got 4 of this one.

Why are 11 year old kids so hard to buy for? I'll just take it back this week and get an Argos gift voucher to the value, I probably should've done that in t'first place.

2 NERF guns from Argos.

I had to take the first one back because my soon to be 11 year old nephew's already got the one I bought, I bought another one last week, and he's already got 4 of this one.

Why are 11 year old kids so hard to buy for? I'll just take it back this week and get an Argos gift voucher to the value, I probably should've done that in t'first place.

Yeah. Finding the right gift for my nephew wasn't usually very easy either. I was never sure of what he already owned and liked, even when asking my brother. Often it became just a guessing game.

Also your nephew may also be "on the cusp" of that age when they are beginning to get beyond playing with toys. I know at that age I was as well as was my own nephew. Forcing me to adjust accordingly when it came to gift-giving.

Still, it's tough to realize my own nephew will be 40 in just a couple of years! :eek:

Last edited:
I just had to buy 100GB space for Google Drive, I ran out of the free 15GB and since I use Drive for College stuff and important documents I had to...It was something I been thinking for years but I never needed it until now, and well at least is not so expensive, like US$20 per year.

Yeah. Finding the right gift for my nephew wasn't usually very easy either. I was never sure of what he already owned and liked, even when asking my brother. Often it became just a guessing game.

Also your nephew may also be "on the cusp" of that age when they are beginning to get beyond playing with toys. I know at that age I was as well as was my own nephew. Forcing me to adjust accordingly when it came to gift-giving.

Still, it's tough to realize my own nephew will be 40 in just a couple of years! :eek:

Yeah my nephew will be 11 3 weeks tomorrow on 7/1/19.

Some boring old groceries, an Amazon card, and this stuffed giraffe that's white with red hear-shaped spots and a rose in its mouth for Valentine's Day. I'm up to my ears in plush as it is, but the giraffe is so CUTE!:hearteyes:

New Threads

Top Bottom