• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The last thing you bought?

20240418_195725.jpg
20240418_195632.jpg

A brand new constant velocity axle shaft out of an unknown late model vehicle.
I figured for the kingly sum of $1 I forked over for it, I could always turn it into a PTO shaft for my Farmall H tractor or cannibalize it for another project :p

I discovered that the cell phone of my previous carrier (even though low-end) had a higher resolution camera than the iPad2 I had been using. While shopping for a tripod mount, I discovered this item,...
Ring Light w/Cellphone Mount
full

I discovered that the cell phone of my previous carrier (even though low-end) had a higher resolution camera than the iPad2 I had been using. While shopping for a tripod mount, I discovered this item,...
Ring Light w/Cellphone Mount
full
Is the fob bluetooth for the shutter function?

View attachment 129150View attachment 129151
A brand new constant velocity axle shaft out of an unknown late model vehicle.
I figured for the kingly sum of $1 I forked over for it, I could always turn it into a PTO shaft for my Farmall H tractor or cannibalize it for another project :p
I'm wondering what the original application for that was? I've never seen a CV axle that has such a long shaft between the differential/transaxle and the plunge joint... they're usually just a stub that's about the same length as what's on the other side of your CV joint.

Yep. I probably spend too much time thinking about stuff that I could live just as long without knowing, and I'm not contributing to the thread (everything I've purchased in the last couple months is too mundane to mention here) ;)

I'm wondering what the original application for that was? I've never seen a CV axle that has such a long shaft between the differential/transaxle and the plunge joint... they're usually just a stub that's about the same length as what's on the other side of your CV joint.

Yep. I probably spend too much time thinking about stuff that I could live just as long without knowing, and I'm not contributing to the thread (everything I've purchased in the last couple months is too mundane to mention here) ;)
It might be for a Toyota Rav4, front passenger side.
Those rides have a ball bearing that rides in a carrier which this one has as well.
The axle I bought has a ball bearing next to the plunge joint.

This would maintain the axle shaft length to make both sides equal length between the plunge joint and the steering joint while still providing the necessary support for a differential that is offset by design.
20240418_195725.jpg

Red, bearing that attaches to an external bearing support
Green, dust shield to keep debris out of the third member tube
Yellow, inner bearing support

It might be for a Toyota Rav4, front passenger side.
Those rides have a ball bearing that rides in a carrier which this one has as well.
The axle I bought has a ball bearing next to the plunge joint.

This would maintain the axle shaft length to make both sides equal length between the plunge joint and the steering joint while still providing the necessary support for a differential that is offset by design.
View attachment 129155
Red, bearing that attaches to an external bearing support
Green, dust shield to keep debris out of the third member tube
Yellow, inner bearing support
Gotcha! I just looked those up, and it sure looks could be where it came from. I also saw a Volvo application of the same vintage that uses something similar. I've haven't worked as a professional auto mechanic since I was shortly out of high school, so I'm pretty far out of the loop. Have only owned two front drive cars, and briefly had an '89 GMC 4x4, but everything since then has been straight axle. Nice score for a buck!

Gotcha! I just looked those up, and it sure looks could be where it came from. I also saw a Volvo application of the same vintage that uses something similar. I've haven't worked as a professional auto mechanic since I was shortly out of high school, so I'm pretty far out of the loop. Have only owned two front drive cars, and briefly had an '89 GMC 4x4, but everything since then has been straight axle. Nice score for a buck!
We found an outfit that buys up containers, Amazon returns and the like for their online auctions.
The place where I got the axle has a room full of huge bins where the pricing starts on Monday at $5 an item and drops a dollar a day until Friday when the items are either broken or missing pieces.
Over the weekend, they restock the bins and start it again.

The first time I went, I came home with a new driveshaft and a pair of six bolt wheel spacers for a ten dollar bill.

I hope to get there early on some Mondays and hit the bins for more automotive "stuff"
My first time there, I talked to two brothers who had a haul of vehicle parts that included a new manual transmission flywheel.

Yesterday I passed on a fuel pump assembly new in box for $2

New Threads

Top Bottom