• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The last 'thing' that made you emotional, destroying the DSM....?

I’m overloaded. I spent the last two days in the hospital with my grandfather and grandmother. I’m good in these situations because I keep a clear head and have formal and self education in medical fields. After going through these situations though I am completely drained. When I came home yesterday I immediately put myself into sensory deprivation. My grandfather finally had someone to give him a hand; he’s developed a sleep disorder over the last month. Luckily we have psychiatrist in the family so my cousin is on that now. My grandmother has been hospitalized for the last week with a sort of divergent mental state. My (psychiatrist) cousin said “agitated hallucinations” but that was not exactly what I saw. I saw on one end discomfort and severe short term memory problems. On the other end compete disconnection from reality accompanied by or caused by mood swings. She was terribly abusive towards my grandfather during the mood swings, and when he defended himself everything got worse. They fed off each other in a negative way like they were in a positive feedback loop. I’ll always have the memory of her threatening to commit suicide during that. When I left yesterday afternoon my grandmother was in a good mental state so that is reassuring. Ever since my father died those two have been my parental figures. They were also (almost) the only people who helped me though my difficult years. I’ve been though this enough times to know that I can help in ways no one else can, but that I have to look out for my own health at the same time. One coping mechanism is catharsis; which is what happens when you talk about it.

I was walking down a country road recently, when all of a sudden I smelt my late mother's perfume that she'd wear when going out. the aroma hung around for a good half mile or so, and it made me feel happier and reminded me of an earlier time when I carried her cremains to the cemetery for burial, that time I felt an enveloping warm that lasted for a good 20 minutes.

That makes me sad that she is getting abused by her older brother and it makes me even sadder that the POS Parents said that to her and thats good information you told her good job Suzanne. Or she could sneek out to a friends or a good family member of hers and tell them what is happening to her and i was gonna she could also FIGHT FOR HER LIFE but then that would make her just as bad for fighting her own family maybe she could try talking to her Brother and Parents and ask them why are they doing that to her. Suzanne did she say why her Brother and Parents turned evil ?. FAMILY SHOULDN,T BE FIGHTING EACH OTHER - PERIOD. It should be about living a good life and doing our best :)

Apparently she has no friends and there is no talking to any family member and no, did not shed light on why they are so evil.

I also said that if she has facebook, she can contact me there, but as of yet, nothing.

I hope that it is all false in truth; for like you, it makes my heart hurt.

I have lots and lots of empathy. It caused me problems when I was a child; a dead bird, a mistreated pet, or a child getting yelled at would make me break down into sympathetic tears.

Now, I'm an online cat guru with a lot of insight into cats; people love my training advice and say they have been helped to have more enjoyable experiences with their own pet cats because of it.

I say the outside world still knows very very little about autism.

How much of us is because of autism, and how much of us is because most of us were not supported, or properly trained, or encouraged to be ourselves?

I know mood and mental disorders have a high co-morbidity with autism, but I think it has a lot to do with environment, not about being neuro-diverse.

You saying that about cats and people appreciating your advice, makes me think of me being online with psychology. I have had some very nice emails to thank me for the advice and even to ask if I am professional and if not, I should be lol

I so agree that a lot is to do with how one is treated, rather than the actual issue at hand.

Apparently she has no friends and there is no talking to any family member and no, did not shed light on why they are so evil.

I also said that if she has facebook, she can contact me there, but as of yet, nothing.

I hope that it is all false in truth; for like you, it makes my heart hurt.
I will pray that ever thing starts getting better for her and i wish your heart feels better soon :)

Sad emotional: My mom dying suddenly in 2007.
Happy emotional: Making love with an old lover two years ago, a surprise.

Humans seem to like emotion -- it's popular on TV and featured prominently.

I'm incredibly emotional about many things: sad movies or sad scenes in them, certain news articles, stuff I research, and also when my Aspie-like paranoia shows through and I feel neglected, like earlier today. I can't seem to help it when I don't get a reply when calling someone, or posting something online which no one reads - it seems to create a sense of persecution! I try to fight it but am not always successful, giving way to the occasional anger outbursts, sadness or mini-meltdown. I know its nothing personal! Despite all my better knnowledge I have to fight those demons!

I have a lot of empathy and so does my partner. Neither of us could finish watching Life is Beautiful when it showed on TV. Other movie scenes I have found bring tears are when they player Nearer My God to Thee on Titanic while cutting to different scenes aboard, and the scene in Revenge of the Sith where Anakin kills the children. On the opposite extreme I have an unusual and well developed sense of humour and many things make me laugh which others overlook.

Example: While watching The Birdcage in a cinema, it brokw down at exactly the point where Nathan Lane first appears as the drag queen star and makes a shrill yell - just then the movie reel snapped and was off for a few minutes! (this was before digital). My friend and I couldn't help laughing like crazy.

It must be an apsie humor, because I too chuckled at that.

What gets my
I will pray that ever thing starts getting better for her and i wish your heart feels better soon :)

I do pop into her question now and then, but nothing new and as I say, I hope that it is false, because it does play on my mind. Horrible to be aware that someone is being ill treated to that extent. Oh, I know it happens every day, but when it is brought to one's notice, that makes it very difficult to deal with.

Realizing that my nineteen year old cat who is diabetic, is becoming debilitated. He still eats, sleeps well, plays and each day goes out to walk around the property. Yet he is losing his eyesight, and startles when anything is close.

He is also losing his memory, forgetting to eat, so that I have to put the warmed food directly in front of him and make noise, sometimes several times. My Vet has indicated that his kidneys are functioning at about forty percent efficiency, which apparently is not terrible at his age. He eats less and often sits on a small stool staring at nothing, all alone in his world.

He has become more cuddly, and wants to be in my lap most of the time. Yet if he hears a toy or the sound of a feathered fishing toy he still wants to play. As long as he is not in pain, he will be with me till his 'end of days.'

New Threads

Top Bottom