• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The last 'thing' that made you emotional, destroying the DSM....?

Mia

V.I.P Member
People with autism and asperger's all along the spectrum are said to not show emotions. Apparently we are not supposed to have them, or we fail somehow in conveying them to other people in a way they would like or understand. I don't perceive this as valid, I experience intense emotion constantly as does my spouse who is also on the spectrum. This is something that I found touching. I want a dog just like that!

Last edited:
This shy female dog had been abandoned by its owner after it had recently given birth. Thankfully, the puppies were recovered from the cruel owner and - as you will see below - the mother's behavior changes dramatically when she is reunited with her babies.

Hearing in a story about a girl who was hallucinating
that her friend, a human who was actually dead,
was pulling on her arm,
imploring her to keep trying to crawl to the road so that
someone could find her and rescue her.....

That's not the good part.
That's not the 'heart warming part.'

Just a little later in the story, the cops are talking about
the young rescue dog having run off on his own and
finding the girl, dragging her many yards to take her to
the attention of the search unit, which wasn't even
looking for her.

I liked that for a change there was a dog in a story
that didn't get killed. Dogs are often killed in fictional
stories to show how bad some person is.

Book on tape =
Secrets to the Grave, by Tami Hoag

I didn't pick this book out, actually.
The librarian gave me this one instead of the one
I gave her the card for.

I've heard the song before, but one day it just clicked when I was driving in my car alone. It reminded my of my memaw I lost a little over a year ago. I just broke out crying alone in my car and every time after I get all teary eyed when I hear it.

People with autism and asperger's all along the spectrum are said to not show emotions. Apparently we are not supposed to have them, or we fail somehow in conveying them to other people in a way they would like or understand. I don't perceive this as valid, I experience intense emotion constantly as does my spouse who is also on the spectrum. This is something that I found touching.

I experience emotions. However, very little by way of emotional reciprocity and, for me at least, empathy is at an intellectual (as opposed to instinctive) level. When faced with somebody who's upset my response is to problem solve, not to console.

I'm told "typical" behaviour is to feel the emotion you see a person displaying and for for me that just doesn't happen. Doesn't mean I don't feel emotion, I just don't have empathy.....at all.
Hearing in a story about a girl who was hallucinating
that her friend, a human who was actually dead,
was pulling on her arm,
imploring her to keep trying to crawl to the road so that
someone could find her and rescue her.....

That's not the good part.
That's not the 'heart warming part.'

Just a little later in the story, the cops are talking about
the young rescue dog having run off on his own and
finding the girl, dragging her many yards to take her to
the attention of the search unit, which wasn't even
looking for her.

I liked that for a change there was a dog in a story
that didn't get killed. Dogs are often killed in fictional
stories to show how bad some person is.

Book on tape =
Secrets to the Grave, by Tami Hoag

I didn't pick this book out, actually.
The librarian gave me this one instead of the one
I gave her the card for.

To be honest, I seem to be pretty emotional most of the time, but, ok, yesterday on a forum that people ask question and receive answers ( Yahoo Answers), a young girl of 15 said that she is systematically physcially abused by her older brother of 17 and he said that he will stop when he puts her in hospital. If that is not bad enough, her parents know this is happening and threaten her that if she goes to the police, they will make her life hell and her sister who has moved home, does not even believe she is being physically abused. I was crying and very angry as I read her question and all I could do, was explain that they are just threats and she can go to the police, but if she can, take photos of her bruising and see if she can tape her "brother" abusing her.

If being an aspie was hinged on being a cold hearted person, I would throw it out that I am an aspie; as cold is not what I am. I only having staring eyes occasionally and it was some time this year, for the first time, someone said: why are you staring at me? And I was not; but through this person; very embarrassed and ashamed. I do not even have a monotoned voice and smile more than sour faced.

I have lots and lots of empathy. It caused me problems when I was a child; a dead bird, a mistreated pet, or a child getting yelled at would make me break down into sympathetic tears.

Now, I'm an online cat guru with a lot of insight into cats; people love my training advice and say they have been helped to have more enjoyable experiences with their own pet cats because of it.

I say the outside world still knows very very little about autism.

How much of us is because of autism, and how much of us is because most of us were not supported, or properly trained, or encouraged to be ourselves?

I know mood and mental disorders have a high co-morbidity with autism, but I think it has a lot to do with environment, not about being neuro-diverse.

I'm incredibly emotional about many things: sad movies or sad scenes in them, certain news articles, stuff I research, and also when my Aspie-like paranoia shows through and I feel neglected, like earlier today. I can't seem to help it when I don't get a reply when calling someone, or posting something online which no one reads - it seems to create a sense of persecution! I try to fight it but am not always successful, giving way to the occasional anger outbursts, sadness or mini-meltdown. I know its nothing personal! Despite all my better knnowledge I have to fight those demons!

I have a lot of empathy and so does my partner. Neither of us could finish watching Life is Beautiful when it showed on TV. Other movie scenes I have found bring tears are when they player Nearer My God to Thee on Titanic while cutting to different scenes aboard, and the scene in Revenge of the Sith where Anakin kills the children. On the opposite extreme I have an unusual and well developed sense of humour and many things make me laugh which others overlook.

Example: While watching The Birdcage in a cinema, it brokw down at exactly the point where Nathan Lane first appears as the drag queen star and makes a shrill yell - just then the movie reel snapped and was off for a few minutes! (this was before digital). My friend and I couldn't help laughing like crazy.

whenever i see dead animals on the road i feel very bad and when my pets die i feel very bad and suffer from worse challenging behavior.
i dont have emotions for anyone else.
i feel bad intensely and being good intensely anything else apart from anxiety i dont feel,i have constant acute anxiety about anything and everything which is partly why i smoke CBD and take lorazepam for.i only became aware of anxiety a couple of years ago after years of being repetitively taught what it was-up till then it manifested as challenging behavior,i dont grasp the concept of anxiety i only understand it by repetitive training i dont understand it naturally so it doesnt feel normal to me.

When I found out my friend have Hereditary Sensory and Autonomic Neuropathy, Type 1E (HSAN1E) which will result of her having a shorter life.

My late Grandmother's funeral, and she's been dead 3 months as of this past Wednesday, at the Funeral I cried Buckets when they brought out the Coffin!:tearsofjoy:

It depends on the emotion. For some emotions, especially in book characters, I feel the emotion strongly. I think I feel them less with people than with book characters or people I know only online. I am in tears when they are and just feel that emotion intently.
But some emotions I can't relate to at all.

This shy female dog had been abandoned by its owner after it had recently given birth. Thankfully, the puppies were recovered from the cruel owner and - as you will see below - the mother's behavior changes dramatically when she is reunited with her babies.

Thats sad that the female dog got abandoned. Im Happy that the mother was reunited with her babies :) and they are so cute too :)

People with autism and asperger's all along the spectrum are said to not show emotions. Apparently we are not supposed to have them, or we fail somehow in conveying them to other people in a way they would like or understand. I don't perceive this as valid, I experience intense emotion constantly as does my spouse who is also on the spectrum. This is something that I found touching.

I defiantley show emotions and sometimes strong good feelings or strong bad feelings. the last thing that made me emotional is having to say goodbye to my mom when i went home.

I have a strange type of empathy. I get sad when I read of some person being abused (even fictional ones like on Law and Order: SVU), but I cry like crazy when I see a video on YouTube of an animal who's been abused or see dead animals along the road. I was very emotional when I was child (in fact I was called a 'crybaby' on many occasions by my father).

To be honest, I seem to be pretty emotional most of the time, but, ok, yesterday on a forum that people ask question and receive answers ( Yahoo Answers), a young girl of 15 said that she is systematically physcially abused by her older brother of 17 and he said that he will stop when he puts her in hospital. If that is not bad enough, her parents know this is happening and threaten her that if she goes to the police, they will make her life hell and her sister who has moved home, does not even believe she is being physically abused. I was crying and very angry as I read her question and all I could do, was explain that they are just threats and she can go to the police, but if she can, take photos of her bruising and see if she can tape her "brother" abusing her.

If being an aspie was hinged on being a cold hearted person, I would throw it out that I am an aspie; as cold is not what I am. I only having staring eyes occasionally and it was some time this year, for the first time, someone said: why are you staring at me? And I was not; but through this person; very embarrassed and ashamed. I do not even have a monotoned voice and smile more than sour faced.
That makes me sad that she is getting abused by her older brother and it makes me even sadder that the POS Parents said that to her and thats good information you told her good job Suzanne. Or she could sneek out to a friends or a good family member of hers and tell them what is happening to her and i was gonna she could also FIGHT FOR HER LIFE but then that would make her just as bad for fighting her own family maybe she could try talking to her Brother and Parents and ask them why are they doing that to her. Suzanne did she say why her Brother and Parents turned evil ?. FAMILY SHOULDN,T BE FIGHTING EACH OTHER - PERIOD. It should be about living a good life and doing our best :)

I'm editing a video for my best friend whose birthday is today. It's an emotional video where he talks about how he deals with life and all that during a Q&A he died (He makes videos) and I set up music and stock footage and it's making me cry a little bit.

Ok, that ad made me tear up! What a cute reason to learn a language! Cute little kid too!

New Threads

Top Bottom