• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The hair/skin care/cosmetics thread :)

I have very little "skin care routine."

1952 Gillette Super-Speed razor, secondhand (or thirdhand--can't expect much for two dollars)
Williams shaving soap & hot water. (I also use it as shampoo when it's too small to use in the bowl.)
"Ever-Ready" brush c. 1920-1950 (It started shedding badly so I replaced the bristles)
An alum styptic pencil
Water

I've used witch-hazel or brown Listerine for aftershave before but found that mostly gets in the way.

I have very little "skin care routine."

1952 Gillette Super-Speed razor, secondhand (or thirdhand--can't expect much for two dollars)
Williams shaving soap & hot water. (I also use it as shampoo when it's too small to use in the bowl.)
"Ever-Ready" brush c. 1920-1950 (It started shedding badly so I replaced the bristles)
An alum styptic pencil
Water

I've used witch-hazel or brown Listerine for aftershave before but found that mostly gets in the way.
a good aftershave oil would be lavender mixed with a carrier (usually a vegetable oil or a mineral oil)it's found to have no records of people being allergic to it

a good aftershave oil would be lavender mixed with a carrier (usually a vegetable oil or a mineral oil)it's found to have no records of people being allergic to it
That sounds like it would feel, and smell, really nice :)
I might have to use that for shaving my legs (I didn’t used to but I think my leg hair looks pretty gross so I’ve been getting rid of it!)

That sounds like it would feel, and smell, really nice :)
I might have to use that for shaving my legs (I didn’t used to but I think my leg hair looks pretty gross so I’ve been getting rid of it!)
Better to use wild marigold (Latin name calendula officinalis) its for skin as you will damage your skin, removing hair ,you can get a gel or a cream in the UK or you could buy the leaves and put it in sunflower oil (in a darkened container to preserve the oil),leave for a few weeks and filter some of the oil ,research herbs indigenous to the USA, as they would be much closer to your immune response than British \eurasian herbs ,I said lavender to @Gerontius as its for cosmetic not medicinal purposes,if you can't find us indigenous herbs, definitely calendula

In the winter when the air is dry, I use some skin lotion to avoid feeling itchy.
Two Shampoo + 1 Conditioner = 1 Shampoo.

Here's a great way to gently remove makeup:

At the end of the night, when you get home, put kind of a heavy amount of lotion on your face, but don't rub it in.

Take a baby wipe or wet washcloth, and gently wipe off the lotion, until it's all wiped off. The makeup will stick to the lotion and come off easily.

It moisturizes while pulling all the makeup out of your pores. That way you don't have to scrub hard and hurt your skin.

Next just hop in the bath and get all clean!

This thread made me Google best moisturisers for seborrheic dermatitis and I found something on Google. Hopefully it helps. I really don't like the red patches of skin I get. Then the skin feels tight, then flakes up, then the flakes go and it's back to being red. It's horrid. I use a mild antifungal cream, but forget to use it the 2-3 days as recommended. Might use it once a day or every few days. So my routine is also to blame. But if I can wash more regularly and slap on a recommended moisturiser. Maybe this will help? I've had it for years and it makes me very self conscious. I get it on my scalp too.

Ed

This thread made me Google best moisturisers for seborrheic dermatitis and I found something on Google. Hopefully it helps. I really don't like the red patches of skin I get. Then the skin feels tight, then flakes up, then the flakes go and it's back to being red. It's horrid. I use a mild antifungal cream, but forget to use it the 2-3 days as recommended. Might use it once a day or every few days. So my routine is also to blame. But if I can wash more regularly and slap on a recommended moisturiser. Maybe this will help? I've had it for years and it makes me very self conscious. I get it on my scalp too.

Ed
If you can get it in the UK, I suggest Gold Bond Healing Cream. It's the best, really.

I have red hair and skin that is so pale, it's translucent pink. It is incredibly sensitive to cold, sunlight, chemicals, allergens, and even adhesives. I get really bad eczema sometimes.

The Gold Bond Healing Cream is made especially for that skin type. And yes, it helps raised, psoriasis-type, flaky patches of angry red skin too.

The bottle (in the US) looks like this:

1667471869037.png

Ed
Another product I recommend is Kiss My Face 86% Olive Oil Soap. Just like it says on the label, 86% of the ingredients is simply Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It is incredibly moisturizing. But it doesn't make your skin greasy. It heals inflamed skin just simply by washing with it. You get out of the bath, and much of your red skin has gone away.

I like the Lavender bar. It seems to have extra healing properties, and it smells nice and feminine. But for a guy, you might like the Olive and Aloe bar. It smells kind of like Irish Spring.

1667472167201.png

I saw a top 5 and a company called Eucerin had a moisturiser that came in top. But it was £20 for a small pot. I noticed they also did a face cream that was around £8 so I figured try that first. But I'll give other stuff a go if this doesn't work.

61NMLFWXMNL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Ed

I use stuff in Japan.

There’s a specific brand of face wash that has apple acid (is this even a thing) that claims to remove dead skin cells. I have no idea if this is legit or not, but I use it morning and night, and have been using it for two years now maybe. People compliment me on my skin.

I feel the best skin care is to eat a lot of vegetables and be live overall healthily and don’t use foundation.
The best beauty tip for me personally is to be fit and maintain a certain weight. Past a certain weight, I feel no additional effort can change the overall effect of my physical appearance. There is a clear cut off line, but it is difficult to maintain. I want to go back there loosely in a couple of years.

For makeup I use a pale lavender sunscreen/primer that washes off with normal face wash, and a pale purple powder. Then do brows in a charcoal grey and that’s it.
If I do use eyeshadow I’ll use a shimmery pale blue or a taupe with a preference for the blue.
I really like lipstick … I feel it gives the biggest “bang for buck” in terms of how better my face looks, compared to effort. Just one quick swipe and I look polished. Compare this with eyeshadow, which can involve complicated fiddling and dabbing with minimal difference.
It may be a coloring issue though. I need a saturated, cool pop of pink on my lips to balance out my darker eyes and hair.

New Threads

Top Bottom