• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The hair/skin care/cosmetics thread :)

Luca

V.I.P Member
@watersprite and I had an idea about a skin care thread, so here it is! :)

What does everyone do for skin care, hairstyling, and makeup?
Feel free to post pictures but it’s optional :)

I have oily/dry combination skin, and my skin tone is medium-light tan (I’m Hispanic.) I have freckles and dark spots.

I do get a bit of acne occasionally, but I find that using products that get rid of acne and blemishes really works for making my skin look clear and vibrant :)
I use toner, moisturizer, astringent, and I use puffy eye reducer (I have “stoner” eyes lol. I’ve never used drugs in my life but I have very puffy eyelids and dark circles.)
F5B6FF7A-6D88-4F12-8F98-01D10531B254.jpeg

For hair care, I use pretty basic stuff. One of my special interests is hairstyling and I would love to be a hairdresser! :)
A few people on here have asked me how I get my hair look lol.
I use flexible strong-hold clean gel and blow my hair out with a compact dryer on low heat.
4697B916-FF19-4180-ABDC-E6FA99750ED8.jpeg

I don’t often wear makeup, but when I do, I use foundation, lip liner and mascara. Very occasionally blush.

I don’t often do much to my eyebrows, they’re natural :)
(Sorry for the stupid picture lol. It was the most zoomed in photo I could find of my eyebrows. I’m wearing foundation and blush here. This was taken outside at night in poor [pinkish] lighting. And my eyes look gray here. So not the most attractive picture of me :sweatsmile:)
FEDF5C92-75AC-41CA-9B3A-3563B905EF61.jpeg

I keep things as simple as possible, but I have an irrestitible attraction to lotions and potions…

The scents have to be mild &/or natural because most strong perfumes smell strange to me, and some even make my eyes water. But when I find a scent I like I feel sort of addicted to it.

The little brown rectangle is a piece of homemade soap that I love and someone gave me. :) It is wonderfully mild.

skin & hair favorites
upload_2022-2-2_15-29-55.jpeg

I keep things as simple as possible, but I have an irrestitible attraction to lotions and potions…

The scents have to be mild &/or natural because most strong perfumes smell strange to me, and some even make my eyes water. But when I find a scent I like I feel sort of addicted to it.

The little brown rectangle is a piece of homemade soap that I love and someone gave me. :) It is wonderfully mild.

skin & hair favorites
View attachment 75108
Those look wonderful!! :)
I’ll have to try some of those out!
Where did you get them?

Something went wrong with the quote in my post and everything else, "A few people on here have asked me how I get my hair look lol."

Tried to fix it but anyway. Hair looked good. :)
No worries, I still got what you were trying to say :) And thank you!

008867.jpg

^ That's my soap. Hand soap, shower soap, shaving lather and occasionally my shampoo. I say occasionally because I rarely wash my hair with soap. Most of the time I use a stiff bristled brush on my head in the shower to exfoliate, rinse with water and that's it. I prefer my natural oils in my hair and by rinsing my hair with water and then a brisk rubbing with a clean towel it's the perfect level of "conditioning".

I also use the above soap as one of the ingredients to make my own toothpaste which I've been using exclusively for twenty years now.

I rarely use body lotion because I don't like the feeling of things on my skin (hate sunscreen, etc) but when I'm desperate for lotion, when my hands actually throb from being so dry in the winter or my legs itch so badly that I want to take sandpaper to them, I will use Vanicream because it's unscented.

008867.jpg

^ That's my soap. Hand soap, shower soap, shaving lather and occasionally my shampoo. I say occasionally because I rarely wash my hair with soap. Most of the time I use a stiff bristled brush on my head in the shower to exfoliate, rinse with water and that's it. I prefer my natural oils in my hair and by rinsing my hair with water and then a brisk rubbing with a clean towel it's the perfect level of "conditioning".

I also use the above soap as one of the ingredients to make my own toothpaste which I've been using exclusively for twenty years now.

I rarely use body lotion because I don't like the feeling of things on my skin (hate sunscreen, etc) but when I'm desperate for lotion, when my hands actually throb from being so dry in the winter or my legs itch so badly that I want to take sandpaper to them, I will use Vanicream because it's unscented.
I love castile soap! :) I don’t currently have any but my mom uses it to wash her face. She has a huge bottle of it at her house.

That’s very cool that you make your own toothpaste :) I have to use a medicated one :/ I have a lot of medical issues with my mouth/teeth.

008867.jpg

Please do post your toothpaste recipe! I love this stuff and use it a lot and would like to use it more. I use their toothpaste which is awesome but hard to get and would like to make my own!

I do not like to fuss over cosmetics and such.
I use basic, cheap, shampoo and conditioner. And wash my face with Cetaphil. In the winter I will use Cetaphil moisturing lotion on my face if I feel dry.

I don't dry my hair with a dryer or use a curling iron. I just wash and go! I cut my hair once a year. In the spring I get it cut very short and it grows out to shoulder length by the next cut.

I am very lucky that I have medium dark skin (sallow) that tans easily and seldom burns and I have a good amount of natural big loose curl. So I don't look bad, just my age.

I don't wear makeup.

Please do post your toothpaste recipe! I love this stuff and use it a lot and would like to use it more. I use their toothpaste which is awesome but hard to get and would like to make my own!

It's a simple recipe and the measurements don't need to be exact at all:

Use a suitable container. We use a glass half pint jelly jar. Caution must be used when using a glass container if any of the toothpaste gets on the outside of the jar and meets with wet fingers because the jar can get slippery.
  • Put 1-3 teaspoons of the Dr. Bronners liquid soap in the bottom of the container. Use more if you like a foamier toothpaste and less if you don't.
  • Fill the container 1/2-3/4 full of pure baking soda (not baking powder).
  • Add a small amount of water. For our half pint jar size, I use maybe 3 Tablespoons of water? If you add too much water the paste will be too thin and won't stay on the toothbrush when you take it out of the container. You'll know you added too much water also if the water separates as a layer on the top of the paste. With a proper amount of water, the paste stays mixed for the duration.
  • Mix the paste together in the container using a fork. It should be fluffy.
  • I also add about 25 drops of pure essential oil of peppermint when I mix the paste.
  • Take the head of your toothbrush, dip it into the paste and...brush away.
  • Your mouth and teeth will feel cleaner than ever with no bad aftertaste of conventional toothpastes.
Other things to experiment with adding if you wanted to:
  • A bit of melted unrefined coconut oil
  • If you like a sweet taste, perhaps stevia, xylitol powder or other sugar free healthy powder
  • Try other pure essential oils like lemon, orange, cinnamon, etc.

Additional note: I will also use a fingertip dab of this paste as a facial scrub (nose only) on rare occasion as I feel the need. The baking soda is a very mild abrasive, but even so a very gentle rub works best and then rinse. Some people might not like the peppermint oil on skin and you have to of course avoid getting any in your eyes. Rather than being a recommendation, I'm just conveying the ways I personally use the concoction.

Last edited:
008867.jpg

^ That's my soap. Hand soap, shower soap, shaving lather and occasionally my shampoo.

Same here, but I use the unscented "baby" formula. We also use it for dish soap and laundry detergent. The bar soap is nice for showering (I don't use too much that way).

I use Burt's Bees chapstick and their sensitive face lotion/night cream. Other than that, I don't really use any products. I have very sensitive skin and multiple chemical sensitivities (with an aversion to fragrance), so I keep it simple.
81BD70hgDhL._SL1500_.jpg

51rHKZkm-3L._SL1268_.jpg

Same here, but I use the unscented "baby" formula. We also use it for dish soap and laundry detergent. The bar soap is nice for showering (I don't use too much that way).

I use Burt's Bees chapstick and their sensitive face lotion/night cream. Other than that, I don't really use any products. I have very sensitive skin and multiple chemical sensitivities (with an aversion to fragrance), so I keep it simple.
81BD70hgDhL._SL1500_.jpg

51rHKZkm-3L._SL1268_.jpg

I too have sensitive skin and extreme chemical fragrance aversion and I have a stick of the very same lip balm in my pocket every waking moment of each day!

We use Dr. Bronners "Sal Suds" for making our dish soap and laundry detergent. It does have natural pine oils in it so many you wouldn't like that for making detergents. The pine scent goes away in the wash. Sal Suds is more concentrated than the regular Dr. Bronners liquid soaps so I've found it works better for dishes and laundry.

New Threads

Top Bottom