• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Good Doctor (TV-USA)...

I just started watching The Good Doctor and got through the first 6 episodes last night. There's things about the series that I really like but at the same time, while watching each episode, I couldn't get rid of this nagging sense at the back of my mind. Nagging me that something is wrong with this show but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly...

There's things about the series that I really like but at the same time, while watching each episode, I couldn't get rid of this nagging sense at the back of my mind. Nagging me that something is wrong with this show but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly...

Perhaps that it's yet another lead character who while autistic, is somehow amazingly superior to others in some capacity around them. A Hollywood pretense that is getting a little old.

While much of "Doc Martin's" behaviors make me cringe, I revel in the idea of a show about a bright, but more ordinary character who seems content on being able to accurately diagnose others rather than save the planet with superhuman powers on a routine basis.

Perhaps that it's yet another lead character who while autistic, is somehow amazingly superior to others in some capacity around them. A Hollywood pretense that is getting a little old.
10% of autistics are savants.
90% of savants are autistic.
I think that they were going for the latter. ;)

10% of autistics are savants.
90% of savants are autistic.
I think that they were going for the latter. ;)

Yep. Just another way to entertain most of their non-autistic audience.

And continue to confuse them about autism. But with the right audience share, who cares? :eek:

My new show :

Ordinary person with difficulties, doesnt have a job,rarely leaves the house.
Occasionally peeps through the curtains. Its scary out there, he says sometimes.

Should i start a campaign to raise funds on kickstarter?

24 episodes. I think we can get kiefer sutherland.

My new show :

Occasionally peeps through the curtains. Its scary out there, he says sometimes.

Good idea, although we'll have to wait until Kiefer ends his term as a "designated survivor". :p

Seriously though, I'd love to see any serious story based on an average person who is on the spectrum. :)

My new show :

Why Keifer Sutherland? I'm sure I'm missing something here that I would know if I watched more tv. Can this person be attached to a favorite bathrobe?

Why Keifer Sutherland? I'm sure I'm missing something here that I would know if I watched more tv. Can this person be attached to a favorite bathrobe?

I liked the contrast of jack bauer playing someone who does little and is scared to leave the house

My new show :

Vaguely remember keifer sutherland appearing in a (possibly)made for tv show about an abused child who was semi mute and hid under tables. I think it was called zoo boy. Can find no reference to it though.

Though if you had a very limited production budget and apprehensive shareholders you probably wouldn't want to be in a hurry to cast Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen or Lindsay Lohan. Unrepentant substance abusers.

Though of the three of them, probably Sutherland is most likely to get the job done even if dead drunk at the time. Far less a "problem child" of the three of them.

As I recall Keifer Sutherland was once the star of "Touch" as a caring father on the run of a mute child with special powers that "the powers that be" wanted to exploit. Although the show was eventually cancelled, his mute son went on to bigger and better things....as Bruce Wayne of "Gotham".

As for Freddie Highmore, his days as Norman Bates are behind him. Though you have to wonder sometimes about giving Dr. Shaun Murphy a scalpel. Let's hope he doesn't have any kind of identity crisis ! :p

Last edited:

While much of "Doc Martin's" behaviors make me cringe, I revel in the idea of a show about a bright, but more ordinary character who seems content on being able to accurately diagnose others rather than save the planet with superhuman powers on a routine basis.

Yes, I think that's part of the issue I have with the show. They've made the main character so smart and amazingly gifted that he seems superhuman in a sense.

It gives off the impression, at least to me, that he has to be genius level just to be a good doctor at the hospital. It's like if he wasn't a savant then there wouldn't be a show because an autistic doctor who isn't a genius wouldn't be an option for TV?

It just seems like there's this underlying theme that Shaun's a genius but it's like, "Oh, he's so smart in spite of his disability. Good for him." Like in episode 7, where Shaun is treating an autistic patient and the patient's parents say to Shaun, "Wow, you're so accomplished for someone with ASD." I mean, seriously?! I get that this episode was meant to show the patient's parents as being ignorant and out of touch. But at the same time, I've noticed there's this similar pattern throughout the show.

I've watched 9 episodes so far and I think that Shaun Murphy is a very likeable character. However, the show seems to have this condescending tone towards autism. Since the first episode, it's been there and I think that's what's been bothering about this series.

The other doctors treat Shaun with kid gloves or often talk down or humor him. I can't stand when people do this! I found myself getting angry when the other doctors would treat Shaun this way, even the ones who were being kind and supposed to be his friends or offer support. There was this subtle, patronizing tone that the show just couldn't get away from.

Yes, the main character is a stereotype. Yes, many of the situations or events in the show border on being unbelievable or not very convincing (the airport scene or the dead brother doppelganger, etc). But, frankly, my main issue with the show is I don't like the way Shaun is treated.

I liked the contrast of jack bauer playing someone who does little and is scared to leave the house
Ok, now I see, but I had to look up Jack Bauer; told you I don't watch much tv. As a female I would love to see a show about a women aspie who is always losing her earplugs, drops donut holes into a bowl of hummus (in public), smacks into the wall all the time, you know- the sorta things I can really relate to. She could live next to Kiefer Sutherland who is busy peeking out from the curtain.

I have been watching this a bit .I kinda like it, but a few things bother me. The stereotypes, for one, but also that every single person in this guy's life is a jerk! His parents, the bus driver, the guy he goes to to ask for money for food....come on! But it's watchable.

What do you guys think? If there is another post on this, please merge.

What I find so critical about this show isn't so much Freddie Highmore's role as an autistic savant, but rather the focus of all the NTs around him. The very few who support him, and the many who persecute and exploit him.

- "Yay"

Last edited:
It came on before I even found out I was autistic, but I thought it was interesting and told a good story. Then, 3 or 4 episodes in, they had to have an episode that was all about sex and was as titillating as they dared make it for prime time. That’s when I stopped watching it. When they have to sex a show up in the 3rd or 4th episode, I can only imagine what they’ll do later.

I give it a "Yay."
Watched every episode from the beginning.
It's different to most medical series. I think I like it even better than HOUSE.

I think its pretty good. I was already fairly certain I was on the spectrum when it came out, so naturally I wanted to watch it. I while-heartedly agree about the focus on NTs. I'd much rather watch about Sean's struggles than hospital politics. Looking forward to the next season though...

@Nervous Rex . I agree with that. AND I do find his love interest incredibly annoying, shallow, programmed, selfish, and dangerous. I would never crush on anyone with those characteristics no matter how cute.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom