• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Good Doctor (TV-USA)...

Thanks for the heads up. I know about it now! Yes, I'll be watching. Of course the lead character seems to be a far cry from Dr. Martin Ellingham...lol. Equally "Doogie Hauser M.D. " was not on the spectrum either.

Sad to see Daniel Dae Kim leaving Hawaii Five-O, but this looks like a worthwhile project to be a part of behind the camera instead of in front of it.

Last edited:
I read the pitch when it was announced ABC had ordered it, and got very excited. It never mentioned it was adapted from a Korean show, so now I want to see if I can find that one to quell my impatience.

So, autism must be big over there, too, then.
I wonder.
I know that a handful of Korean cinematographers are sometimes considered to be more risk-taking than others, so maybe we could derive from that that there is a willingness, even if it's not conscious, to discuss unusual topics, but based on my (limited) knowledge of Korean culture, I don't think my theory holds too well: the directors I have in mind probably have their own personal reasons for the accrued risk-taking, not linked to their culture/or perhaps even in opposition to their culture.

I liked it. I liked how they portrayed how the main character looks at and analyzes things differently.

I was watching the Korean series (with subtitles, of course) this show is based on after hearing about it. Really good stuff that I would post a link to, but you can search for it online if you're interested. The actor that plays the autistic doctor in that series did a surprisingly good job with the role (relatively speaking) - he did his research beforehand to get a feel for the character, which I think helped tremendously.

If it's anything like its counterpart, it may very well be a hit here in the US if it doesn't fizzle out after a season or a handful of episodes. Prime-time television can get pretty competitive here...

Last edited:
Mind if I ask you to elaborate, Crossbreed?
As expected, the story emphasized his savant skills, but his autistic demeanor was believable.

The link above will take you to a free (for a limited time), on-line showing. Other episodes will be free, too, on the day after they air.

One reviewer suggested that he was a "medical MacGyver." I hope that is a regular feature.

Last edited:
I finally watched the first episode of "The Good Doctor". Initial thoughts:
  • 1. The airport scene... I literally can not suspend my disbelief enough to believe a major accident resulting in a medical emergency would happen in an airport, and then several minutes later, the security staff (just around the corner) would be completely unaware of whats happening.
  • 2. A board room full of rich, abled people trying to justify discrimination is the most believable part of this episode.
  • 3. I find it both highly ironic and offensive that a board member would suggest that surgeons need to be able to be empathetic (implying autistic people aren't) when that particular career field is disproportionately overpopulated with sociopaths. This reinforces the toxic false belief that we are incapable of empathy or caring about others and their feelings. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
  • 4. Am I really supposed to believe the main character was able to make it all the way through med school and earn a M.D., yet doesn't know he can't just grab a knife from security or run into a surgery room. I might find him believable as an autistic child, but an adult with all the experience of higher education would know how to navigate these events, even if with difficulty. This strikes me as infantalizing autistic people.
  • 5. THE SAVANT SYNDROME CRAP. There's no reason an autistic person couldn't be a surgeon if they were competent without being a "savant", especially considering that savant syndrome is only experienced by 10% of us. Basically they suggest that he's only competent because he's extraordinary. This is exactly the kind of ableism that harms autistic people.
  • 6. Stop using functioning labels. They don't actually mean anything, don't accurately describe anything, and are frankly offensive. To call someone "high functioning" is like saying "hey, you're pretty smart for a retard". It's marginalizing, it's dehumanizing, and it's completely unscientific.
  • 7. After asking my wife, apparently I too will pause for longer than is comfortable when asked a question. I didn't know this.

I want to like this show, and frankly it seems more promising than Atypical but ugh.

THE SAVANT SYNDROME CRAP. There's no reason an autistic person couldn't be a surgeon if they were competent without being a "savant", especially considering that savant syndrome is only experienced by 10% of us.
I know this is splitting hairs, but I think that they wanted a savant character who happened to be autistic, too, rather than an autistic who happened to be a savant. (While most autistics are not savants, most savants ARE autistic.)

It starts in UK tomorrow on Sky Living at 9pm so I have put it in the planner to see at some point as tomorrow evening I have NASCAR to catch up on.

Just saw the first episode. It was good, but how did it take so long to get an ambulance to an airport? Not believable.

I cant believe some people like this show. It is stereotype city.

It also perpetuates the idea that autistics are only valuable if they are savant. In the pilot episode, the president of the hospital said, "he's not rainman." But yes, he is.

In episode2 he actually asked someone, "whats the function of sarcasm?"! Puh-leaze!

I find the show offensive and crap.

New Threads

Top Bottom