• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Good Doctor is ANTI-autism!

The Autistic Warrior

Hello, I am a young man of 21 years old from the Netherlands and I would like to review the television series The Good Doctor, because as an autistic person I think that series is a serious middle finger to autistic people. I know that this series has been a huge hit since 2017 and it has been received quite positively. But still I can't understand why autistics just put up with this?
After watching the first episode of The Good Doctor in 2017, I immediately hated it. What the hell is so fun about watching a bunch of highly educated jurors from the medical world have huge doubts about hiring a person just because of his autism? And then they come up with terrible anti-autism statements like there will be deaths, if Shaun is hired as a doctor or something?
What happens when Shaun shows up and tells a deeply moving story? Suddenly everyone wants to hire him? What the hell is this huge anti-rational attitude from these monsters of idiots?

If I was present at that interview, I would have wanted to kill those jurors so bad that there was not a germ left of them. Such huge monsters I find them, based on their anti-autism and anti-rational attitude!

Why is The Good Doctor highly rated as if it were for autism acceptance? I just think most people are nothing more than a bunch of super-conservative idiots, with no sense of social skills whatsoever.

Maybe a tad harsh in your opinions of most people, but I get your points about this series. Plus it's not like there aren't plenty of autistic doctors already, I would say there's many, also other health staff with autism. And indeed most professions.

Yeah, I agree, for the most part. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I don't think The Good Doctor or The Big Bang Theory are particularly helpful representations of autistic people. Sometimes it feels like it's entertainment at our expense.
I don't watch a lot of TV or movies so I might not have a good sample size, but I have yet to see a good or honest representation of an autistic character.

I don't watch a lot of TV or movies so I might not have a good sample size, but I have yet to see a good or honest representation of an autistic character.

Have you ever seen Greenberg or Punch Drunk Love? Autism isn't really a topic nor diagnosis in either movie, but I feel like the main characters of both (played by Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler, respectively) do a good job of showing what ASD is like on an interpersonal level.

Have you ever seen Greenberg or Punch Drunk Love? Autism isn't really a topic nor diagnosis in either movie, but I feel like the main characters of both (played by Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler, respectively) do a good job of showing what ASD is like on an interpersonal level.
I haven’t seen either of them but I will have to look them up! Thanks

I stopped watching The Good Doctor and have never watched BBT.
One thing to remember about TGD is that the main character is, first, a savant. Only some small portion of autistics are savants, but a significant number of savants are autistic. I believe that TGD is true to the latter.

Similarly, BBT is about gifted people first and foremost. Like savantism, autistics are rarely gifted, but gifteds have more than their fair share of autism in their ranks.

Hello, I am a young man of 21 years old from the Netherlands and I would like to review the television series The Good Doctor, because as an autistic person I think that series is a serious middle finger to autistic people. I know that this series has been a huge hit since 2017 and it has been received quite positively. But still I can't understand why autistics just put up with this?
After watching the first episode of The Good Doctor in 2017, I immediately hated it. What the hell is so fun about watching a bunch of highly educated jurors from the medical world have huge doubts about hiring a person just because of his autism? And then they come up with terrible anti-autism statements like there will be deaths, if Shaun is hired as a doctor or something?
What happens when Shaun shows up and tells a deeply moving story? Suddenly everyone wants to hire him? What the hell is this huge anti-rational attitude from these monsters of idiots?

If I was present at that interview, I would have wanted to kill those jurors so bad that there was not a germ left of them. Such huge monsters I find them, based on their anti-autism and anti-rational attitude!

Why is The Good Doctor highly rated as if it were for autism acceptance? I just think most people are nothing more than a bunch of super-conservative idiots, with no sense of social skills whatsoever.
Haven't seen it. It sounds like a bunch of people with little knowledge about autism changing their minds after a bit of education. Viewing the world thru the autistic person's eyes. I guess he's supposed to be a savant and it was created by the same folks who brought us "House."

This is what you expect from a high-dollar production by a major TV network. "Deeply moving stories" is how they work.

Then there is Matt Damon in The Accountant, who plays a character whose autism makes him a perfect cold blooded assassin.

New Threads

Top Bottom