• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

"Being in a spotlight." Because life is not a cabaret not am I a tap dancer.

In fact... my life is a like a fullblown stage show on a daily basis. I feel like a stand up comedian daily. And this clearly is portrayed by the unlimited amount of anekdotes I can tell people.

But perhaps, I'm also not as introverted as the stereotype should state I am. Don't mind being in the spotlight... if it's with something I feel comfortable about (I mean, I used to front a few local rock/metal bands)

I just couldn't tapdance to save my life, lol.

But, I can relate to it being a stupid figure of speech in the sense that not everyone wants to be in the spotlight. Some people just aren't up for being "the center of attention" (for whatever reason or accomplishment).

I live in the south and have for my entire life and I hate southern phrases. My grandmother hated whistling and when my mom whistled she would say, "A whistling woman and a crowing hen never come out to a good end." And as a kid I never knew what she was talking about! Most of the time when people say phrases I don't know what they're saying and I don't know what to say back and it makes me confused and uncomfortable!

I hate it when people ask me "Can I ask you a question?" The fact that you are asking me in the form of a question if you are capable of asking me a question proves that you obviously are capable of doing that. Slightly better is "May I ask you a question?" However, if you really cared about getting my permission to ask me a question, you wouldn't use a question to get it. The quick response I have when people say this is to reply "You just did."

I also hate it when people who I have never interacted before call me "sweetheart" in an attempt to be nice. It's cool if my family or girlfriend calls me that, but with everyone else, they've never met me before or interacted with me before and they are addressing me by what they think the glucose content of my heart is. What the hell?

I don't like it when people say "**** hit the fan" or "need to get my **** together" because of what it literally means. Come on now.

I live in the south and have for my entire life and I hate southern phrases. My grandmother hated whistling and when my mom whistled she would say, "A whistling woman and a crowing hen never come out to a good end." And as a kid I never knew what she was talking about! Most of the time when people say phrases I don't know what they're saying and I don't know what to say back and it makes me confused and uncomfortable!

I can't stand being made to feel that way either. Intelligence and being right in an argument aren't just constituted by having been born one or two generations earlier. Conversations get nowhere if people use idioms from their own dialect to confuse the other person. Your date of birth doesn't make you superior, or automatically strengthen your argument.

"It's always in the last place you look." Do people continue to look after they've already found it?

Also "It goes without saying..." then they say it anyway, although that's probably something that happens more in TV/film than real life.

I don't hate it, I just find it misphrased: "Not all that glitters is gold."

I have checked. Gold does not glitter.

[Something or the other] needs to be done badly. I catch myself saying this, and notice that others do it too. "The bathroom needs to be cleaned badly." No, it is badly in need of cleaning. It needs to be cleaned well.

[Something or the other] needs to be done badly. I catch myself saying this, and notice that others do it too. "The bathroom needs to be cleaned badly." No, it is badly in need of cleaning. It needs to be cleaned well.
Thinking of "badly" and "well" reminded me that I have always had a problem with "I feel well today." Ah, so you have an exquisite sense of touch? I think my teachers were wrong about this one. They always said that you can't feel bad, you have to feel badly, and so you have to feel well, not good. (Actually I just looked at usage notes in the American Heritage Dictionary and it seems to support my preference for "I feel bad" and "I feel good.")

I also don't like it when people say "Would it be possible if you could do X?" or something along those lines. Unless you are asking for me to do something that defies the laws of physics, the answer is probably yes.

I also don't like it when people say "Would it be possible if you could do X?" or something along those lines. Unless you are asking for me to do something that defies the laws of physics, the answer is probably yes.

Plus, if you "could" do it, then it is by definition possible.

I also hear a lot that everything affects on everything, which might not be the case. Many things can cause variation on some, but all. Ahem.

"Eat healthy food." Numerous ads promote the concept of eating only foods that are good for us, especially if they are low in fat or sodium or high in vitamins. However, I don't have to be told to eat healthy. I would never choose to eat an unhealthy fruit, vegetable fish or meat. They would be spoiled, rotten, sick, contaminated with pesticides, moldy, etc. I am sometimes very willing to eat fattening, salty or greasy foods if the ingredients aren't spoiled, rotten bruised, stale, or contaminated. Ads should implore us to eat HEALTHFUL foods! Drives me nuts!

Oh, and. "[Some complex thing to be inserted in here] is a science of it's own". Not in many cases. Being complicated or even a work of academic people is not an indicator if that certain thing ain't processed under specified methods.
I had no idea science stands for so negate association for so many, or is just seen as a joke of uselessness or furstration.

Zero to none. I'm not sure I've understood this expression correctly, but it sounds like it is referring to odds. If something has zero chance of happening, and no chance of not happening… my brain simply stops trying to work out how that is even possible.

Since I love geography, and I like learning about all towns and cities, something else that I really hate is when people are referring to one town, but they use a large city near it instead. For example, I am from Washington, which is about 45 minutes away from St. Louis. When people here are asked where they're from, they usually respond "St. Louis." But you're NOT from St. Louis! You are from WASHINGTON! It just really angers me. If I ask you where you're from, I want a definite answer, not a general one. This happened again with the huge tornado that struck Moore, OK. On the news, they kept saying "Oklahoma City area." DON'T SAY THAT! IT'S IN MOORE!! If you must generalize, say something like "It's in Moore, which is near Oklahoma City." I'll accept that.

Zero to none. I'm not sure I've understood this expression correctly, but it sounds like it is referring to odds. If something has zero chance of happening, and no chance of not happening… my brain simply stops trying to work out how that is even possible.

Come to think of it, I don't like it when people say "beat the odds" when something that is unlikely to happen happens.

On time:

First, there are those who say "9 AM in the morning." Yay, I won't meet you at 9 AM at night!

Worse are those who say "12 PM" or "12 AM". That's pretty much designed to confuse people. :sticky_confused:

New Threads

Top Bottom