• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Case of the Missing Towel

Ever hear of the Mandela effect? The theory is named after Nelsom Mandella. Esentially there are a number of things that some people think have changed. Nelson Mandella; people remember him dieing in the 80s. Jiff peanut butter is misremembered as being Jiffy etc.

Anyway the theory goes that we live with multiple universes. And that the closer a universe to our own the more subtle the differences. And somehow some of us have swaped universes.

Yes, this theory makes complete sense in the case of the missing towel. The towel is not missing. You are now in a universe where you did not keep a towel in the cupboard.

Ever hear of the Mandela effect? The theory is named after Nelsom Mandella. Esentially there are a number of things that some people think have changed. Nelson Mandella; people remember him dieing in the 80s. Jiff peanut butter is misremembered as being Jiffy etc.

Anyway the theory goes that we live with multiple universes. And that the closer a universe to our own the more subtle the differences. And somehow some of us have swaped universes.

Yes, this theory makes complete sense in the case of the missing towel. The towel is not missing. You are now in a universe where you did not keep a towel in the cupboard.
Yes I am familiar with the Mandela effect. It is an interesting concept.

Dammit! Of all the universes to shift into, it had to be one without the towel.

Of course, if I did not keep a towel in the cupboard in this universe, then it should still be somewhere in my room waiting to be used. I did check, lol :p

I used to have things disappear for no discernable reason. I keep a neat and tidy house. For example one fall day when my young children were in school I decided to pull out their winter clothes and snow boots to determine what was useable and what needed to be replaced. I found all the winter boots but one. I dug through the boot box numerous times thinking that I was just not seeing it. Nope. Not there. I scoured the house including my childrens room multiple times and still nothing. If one of the kids had been playing with them why only one boot why not the pair? I went back to the boot box thinking again that for some reason I was just not seeing the boot. What the heck? Then I heard a thump in the living room. I went to see what caused it and there was the boot in the middle of the floor. There was nothing else around it and besides I would have seen it or even tripped over it on my way through the house in my repeated searches. I have also lost a cookie sheet. Just gone. It got to the point where I would just say "OK very funny. That's enough. Bring it back." and whatever was missing would be returned. Just saying.

Keep us posted. This towel situation has changed my fundamental perception of purple. From now in I’ll not be able to help associating it with a damp, resentful and absorbent thing kept alone in the dark for 8 months.

Sounds all too similar to the USS Caine's missing portions of strawberries.

Yet another case of "Occam's Razor". The simplest explanation being the most plausible one. ;)

(Someone simply lied. The joys of communal living.)

Last edited:
Yet another case of "Occam's Razor". The simplest explanation being the most plausible one.
Right. And there must be an explanation.

Logically, it can only be one of a few possibilities, and yet I believe my housemate when he says he has no idea, as there would be absolutely no reason for him to have taken it in the first place. I never thought for one moment that he might have, I just had to rule him out. But that doesn't preclude the possibility that he's not telling the truth. But I see no motive. It's not some rare or valuable towel (if such a thing exists, lol). I certainly wouldn't want to touch or use another housemates towel under any circumstances, and he's even cleaner than me, almost OCD!

Right. And there must be an explanation.

It's not some rare or valuable towel (if such a thing exists, lol). I certainly wouldn't want to touch or use another housemates towel under any circumstances, and he's even cleaner than me, almost OCD!

You must have missed the bathroom scene of Ben Stiller in the film "Along Came Polly". Bad enough he ran out of toilet paper, but then he used Polly's prized towel which caused the toilet to clog. Rough first date. :eek:

Life imitating art, or art imitating life? ;) It's on YouTube. :p

You must have missed the bathroom scene of Ben Stiller in the film "Along Came Polly". Bad enough he ran out of toilet paper, but then he used Polly's prized towel which caused the toilet to clog. Rough first date. :eek:
Life imitating art, or art imitating life? ;) It's on YouTube. :p

I think that's the movie where I first heard the word "shart". o_O

SmartSelect_20210922-191403_Bamboo Paper.jpg

I think you need to go shopping Si, one towel is a bit understocked. What do you do if it's in the wash and you need to dry your hands? How does it dry sitting in the cupboard anyway?

I recommend those cheap gym towels you get at K mart, quick drying, no fluff in the washer.

K mart?

I used to lose or forget things a lot as a kid, and my mum used to tell me that they were all floating around together in some sort of Lost Things Heaven.

Your mother was right. Everyone knows that lost things all wash up on the shores of Neverland, and the faeries make things out of them for the Lost Boys.

I used to have things disappear for no discernable reason. I keep a neat and tidy house. For example one fall day when my young children were in school I decided to pull out their winter clothes and snow boots to determine what was useable and what needed to be replaced. I found all the winter boots but one. I dug through the boot box numerous times thinking that I was just not seeing it. Nope. Not there. I scoured the house including my childrens room multiple times and still nothing. If one of the kids had been playing with them why only one boot why not the pair? I went back to the boot box thinking again that for some reason I was just not seeing the boot. What the heck? Then I heard a thump in the living room. I went to see what caused it and there was the boot in the middle of the floor. There was nothing else around it and besides I would have seen it or even tripped over it on my way through the house in my repeated searches. I have also lost a cookie sheet. Just gone. It got to the point where I would just say "OK very funny. That's enough. Bring it back." and whatever was missing would be returned. Just saying.

This is the type of life I experience also.
I believe in the Mandela Effect.
Don't get caught on Occam's Razor. It cuts both ways.
Taking the attitude of "OK very funny. Bring it back," has worked for me.
Give it a try. Not kidding. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom