• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Big Bang Theory and its effect on the perception of Asperger's

buckyboy14

Geo-Aspie
The Big Bang Theory is one of the most popular TV shows right now, and it features a stereotypical Aspie named Sheldon. The writers and the actor claim he isn't, but many viewers believe he is, and Asperger's is often mentioned along with the character when the show is mentioned.

So do you think this show has an effect on how we are perceived by others? Do you think we could be stereotyped due to this show? Or would you consider it a good thing, because it could raise awareness of Asperger's?

I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I've seen a few episodes here and there and have generally enjoyed it. When I got to hear John Elder Robison speak at an event earlier this year, I asked him what he thought about aspie-like characters like Sheldon (He claimed that the actor who plays Sheldon based his portrayal in part on Robison's book Look Me in the Eye, which I've never heard anywhere else). He said that he had mixed feelings about it, he thinks that, to some extent, the increased awareness is positive, but also that such portrayals gloss over the reality of the high number of people on the autism spectrum and created what he called a "false picture of ability." I would also add that I don't think perpetuating a stereotype that all aspies are scientific geniuses really helps anyone (possibly one reason why the show's writers are carefully agnostic about Sheldon being on the spectrum), there are many different fields in which aspies can be successful, and I don't think anyone should be made to feel like a failure for not being a scientific genius or because they don't have a high-powered career in a scientific field.

Not directly related to the portrayal of Sheldon as a possible aspie, but I found this article on controversies surrounding the show to be interesting:

Big Shiny Robot | The Big Bang Theory: Minstrel Show or Smart Social Commentary?

I've never actually seen the show (which is something I intend to correct eventually), but I agree with ICM on this. To some extent, increased awareness of the autism spectrum is a positive thing, but if we're only getting romanticized, niche portraits, then it's just as bad, if not more so, than no awareness at all. I believe I've mentioned my point of view before in a similar thread.

I recently asked about Aspie-like characters on TV, but there was little interest. I watch a BBC fiction series on PBS and I know it isn't a big hit in the US. I refer to "Doc Martin." Asperger Sybdrome was actually mentioned on one episode but it was only in passing. A man with Doc Martin's intelligence and medical training should have been able to see the possibility of such a diagnosis. I can also think of Dr. Brennan on "Bones, Reed on "Criminal Minds, and" Abby and McGee on "NCIS." I am curious if the writers think they are writing about jerks who always stick out or if they are knowingly including Aspies. I wish these likable characters were identified as Aspies and their differences were occasionally addressed in a positive manner. I believe it would help advance the acceptance of real Aspies.

I watched an episode tonight. I never watch any program with canned laughter and I thought the story was dumb--Sheldon sneaked into a girls apartment at night and cleaned. Everything about Sheldon and the other guy screams nerd and geek. How is that funny? I am not comfortable about a half hour of making fun of odd people. The Odd Couple was similar but the story lines were quite often funny and the acting and actors were much better. If you believe that having Asperger Syndrome is a handicap, and I definitely do, there is nothing funny about ridiculing Aspies. At least on Bones, NCIS, Doc Martin, etc. the Aspie characters do other things that don't make they seem like fools.

I agree with Oscar. Imo it would be better for us if Sheldon was identified as having Aspergers. That said there are social political undertones which imo will take another generation to understand the impact it has.

Personally, I think that The Big Bang Theory is harmless entertainment and that, if anything, it is of benefit to the autistic community. It seems to provide a ahndy pop-cultural reference for Asperger's in the form of a character that is made to be loveable and whose Aspie traits are celebrated by the show. I'm sure that the show's audience is aware that the characters are exaggerated, but even if it leads to generalisations, it is at least a good starting point for people learning about Asperger's that hopefully encourages some people to work towards developing a better understanding towards it.

I agree that the media should avoid creating the misconception of all Aspies being geniuses, but I think it's important to bring successful Aspies to people's attention to prevent the misconception of all aspies being failures. Ideally, though, Aspies would be portrayed overall as people who simply think and function differently to most people, but who may be still be a person with overall average capabilities.

I've been a fan of the show for a few years now, and I love that Jim Parsons has won three Emmys for portraying Sheldon. (TV trivia is one of my 'special interests'.)

There's one moment that stands out to me as quite positive in its sensitivity to Asperger's, however unnamed it goes on the show. I can't remember what episode it's from, but Penny and Sheldon are conversing and bonding, and Penny asks Sheldon to tell her a personal secret that he's never told anyone before. The secret ends up being something Penny considers banal and impersonal--Sheldon had stated he wasn't upset about some change to YouTube or something like that, but in fact he was, and he had never told anyone that before.

Penny reacts with annoyance that Sheldon didn't open up to her, assuming that he wasn't taking it seriously. So Sheldon responds, "I'll tell you something you don't know about me. You just hurt my feelings." He explains how that was a serious thing for him, and how it was disrespectful of her to judge and dismiss what he considers important. And Penny gets it, and apologizes.

And it's a serious moment. You can tell the studio audience was kind of floored by Sheldon's serious turn. That was probably the most "Aspie-advocate" I've seen the show get.

Last edited:
I think that, just as each ASD person in real life is unique, just as we are different from one another, it is all good if fictional Aspie characters are different, one from another. Just as Sheldon is vastly different from Doc Martin, who is different from Lars (lars and the Real Girl) who is actually not that different from Johnny (Waiting for Forever) who is both different and similar to Monk, who is completely different from the woman in Bones.
The problem is if people see one character and think "They are all like that." But the character him/herself might be fine. The problem is not with the character, the problem is with the over-generalization that was made by the member of the audience.
SHeldon is great, if understood in the right way. That is, as a unique character. As a Comedic character, who is meant to be enjoyed with laughter.

P.S. I am more like Sheldon than I am like most other Aspie characters.

I have very mixed feelings about the show. Sometimes it's funny and clever. Other times it makes me want to cringe. I suppose the most important thing is to consider what our culture might be if it felt a need to keep us in the closet like other social minorities of the past. To not even acknowledge us as if we were some kind of taboo subject.

That said though, I'd prefer to see autistic characters in dramas more than comedies. After all, we are real people highly capable of functional and rewarding lives.

I have very mixed feelings about the show. Sometimes it's funny and clever. Other times it makes me want to cringe. I suppose the most important thing is to consider what our culture might be if it felt a need to keep us in the closet like other social minorities of the past. To not even acknowledge us as if we were some kind of taboo subject.

That said though, I'd prefer to see autistic characters in dramas more than comedies. After all, we are real people highly capable of functional and rewarding lives.

I agree with you, except I feel that a balance between comedic and dramatic autistic characters is needed. Both reinforce our humanity and our capabilities in different ways. Comedy is great for connecting with an audience in a relaxed and comfortable way and serves as a reminder that autistic people do not need constant sympathy, whereas drama reminds audiences to take autistic people seriously, to be empathetic and understanding towards without necessarily having pity on us, and avoid seeing us as caricatures - although, of course, we do not want to be taken too seriously in such a way that makes autism look like a delicate, tragic subject that's taboo, as you said.

I enjoy the show personally but yes, I believe it does create stereo types. Even IF we were all geniuses, there are many different kinds of genius. For instance; the man who invented the very first hunting spear was a genious in his own right; and again, the man who invented the very first song (whomever these two may be. OR WOMAN) was also a genious yet the two are almost certainly very different kinds of thinkers. Am I going too far now? lol sorry I shall shush. Really all I'm saying is people should understand all aspie geniuses are certainly not Sheldon-like.

The whole show is made up of characters based on heavy stereotypes.
- Leonard is a typical geek (but I note slightly more social than the others) but also a typical child of a psychologist complete with emotional insecurities as a result of his mother treating him more like an experiement than a son.
- Howard, a typical engineer, has his character formed around his Jewish descent, not to mention he lives with his mother but considers himself a ladies man.
- Raj is a child of a rich Indian couple and he has selective mutism.
- and there is Penny, who is a waitress/aspiring actress who has come to the big city from Omaham Nebraska to pursue her dreams. She is is blonde, ditsy, and loose.

While I agree it is not helpful for all aspies to be considered in light of this one character, I also consider why we would be immune to these stereotypical comedies any more than anyone else. It's a stereotype, that's what makes it funny, in my opinion.

Speaking of popular TV shows, I think this show is honestly a bad caricature of cheesy 80s sitcoms, all predicated on one 'breakout' character who just happens to be a perfect fit for his poorly written role. All the jokes and punchlines are so forced and crammed down the viewers point. Subtlety in comedy truly is a dying art.

I'll even throw in a direct comparison for effect: In Seinfeld - which is by all means the epitome of quality situational comedy - Kramer is the 'breakout' character in the same vein as Sheldon. However, Sheldon is at best a highly predictable character operating as a shallow gag reel for constant punchlines (some of which are - to be fair - pretty alright).
While at the same time Kramer is in all ways a multidimensional character; an enigma which constantly leaves the viewer guessing as to what the motivations for his highly absurd and unforeseen actions might be.

I've said it many times, and I'll keep saying it: If you want a much more realistic, intelligent and at the same time hilarious portrayal of characters with full-on Aspie traits, shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm, I'm Alan Partridge and Saxondale are very hard to beat!

If anyone reads this and agrees, let's be friends. Not like the show Friends though.

Last edited:
The problem with Sheldon, and perhaps any stereotype in any show is, that it's a scripted, over the top stereotype and viewers will not see this as such. They see it as a character, not as an over the top representation of something, just like people rarely watch an action movie and state "that's impossible".

It's entertainment. And therein lies the flaw, presumably, a lot of people miss. Sheldon is only as quirky as the writers tell him to be. However because people don't see this as "he's just written, acted and portrayed this way" people actually perceive him as a real person, even more so than say... Wolverine or Optimus prime. Those last 2 border too much on "the impossible" while Sheldon is the ?ber geek, which, while he might be a big exaggerated is something more in place with the real world.

If you add a parallel and popular notion that geeks and nerds are often perceived or linked to Aspergers (and specifically Aspergers, not Autism. I have spoken to people who used the word Asperger's and weren't even aware it was a form of autism) it's easy to think Sheldon fits this condition perfectly. Unless... you're an aspie. You might still think his jokes are funny, but Sheldon on the spectrum sounds more far-fetched because you're more aware of what it is to be on the spectrum. It's the kind of awareness aspies have when it comes to the portrayal of (presumed) other aspies. It's also the kind of awareness non-aspies might not have.

What's also worrying about this all is that because BBT is a popular show, people will watch this show, assume something and it becomes a popular opinion. People think Sheldon is quirky, someone on reddit (or facebook, or tumblr, or whatever social media outlet) pitches how Sheldon shows severe traits for Aspergers Syndrome and the cat is out of the bag for the masses. Sheldon is an aspie, even though the writers never said he was. It's what people think someone is and it becomes a popular opinion (and by now I know all too well, a popular opinion is not always the correct one). It's these kind of opinions that feed the ignorant. It's on a forum like Aspies Central, where we (the aspies) actually question the validity of him being a potential candidate on the spectrum. I'm going out on a limb here, but I don't think this is the type of conversation families have over dinner, even if they might all gather on thursday evening to view the latest exploits of Sheldon and company.

So does the BBT add awareness for autism and Aspergers?

It gives a faux awareness. It gives an awareness of what laymen (and women) think what Aspergers is. It's the same kind of awareness Rainman did for Autism. And Raymond Babbitt, as a character was written based on Kim Peek, someone with FG syndrome and not autism. Yet, because autism seems to be a more popular label to throw around people assume that this is the correct label even if it heavily exaggerates a stereotype, who operates in a world that accomodates him as much as scriptwriters allow it.

Sheldon as smart as he is, would have a presumably harder time in "the real world" since I don't know if people would keep up with his antics. I once jokingly told my girlfriend "If Sheldon was he get beaten up on a pretty regular basis. His antics are probably too much for most.". This in turn reflects how even that tough guy ex-boyfriend of Penny is written off as a nice guy and not as the overly violent "shoot first, ask questions later" type of person. Afterall, it's still a sitcom. When was the last time a sitcom got violent and graphic? It would lose viewers since it would do a full 180. Not to mention that CBS wouldn't stand for it since they most likely want reliable content that will not alienated viewers. And this actually adds to the tone of any tv show; they don't want to blindside the audience.

While I agree it is not helpful for all aspies to be considered in light of this one character, I also consider why we would be immune to these stereotypical comedies any more than anyone else. It's a stereotype, that's what makes it funny, in my opinion.

So in essence are you saying overt stereotyping effectively removes any real social stigma which should be rejected? I suspect that is the intent of the production and their writers as well. A clever way to sidestep real controversy.

Yet along the same lines, film and television now has certain taboos of the present that were pervasive stereotypes of the past.

Last edited:
I am a fan of the show. Sometimes it is smart and funny, and other times it is annoying stupid. But I enjoy it. I still prefer Community though. If you want a great comedy with an admitted aspie character, watch it. There are more authentic moments in it.

The real flaw of the show is how Penny can afford a huge apartment with no roommates on a waitress salary, while Sheldon and Leonard are roommates in a similar apartment on PH.D professor and researcher salaries. But on to the topic of discussion..

I remember when it first started out the show had been recommended to me, and I watched all of 5 minutes before denouncing it as "making fun of autistic people" and decided not to watch. Of course when I shared this opinion no-one really agreed with me, and since I still to this day keep my autism a secret from people I know I couldn't just come out and say "Yea well I know what real autism is you've been friends with such a person for years!". As time went on though, I realized its just meant to be funny, just like 2 and a half men is meant to exploit divorced men and middle-aged boozers through caricatures of such men in real life. Still, it would be nice to actually acknowledge a character with autism who is liked instead of beating around the bush, such as Curb, House (I think House had mild autism.. could be wrong on that though), NCIS, etc.

PS:

If anyone reads this and agrees, let's be friends. Not like the show Friends though.

Good distinction sir

New Threads

Top Bottom