• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

That's My Type Of Book!

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
What cant you read enough of? What do you always come back to reading?

Now I realize that probably every reader reads a lot of stuff but, I am curious to see what other readers read most.
While I have such diverse tastes when it comes to books, I do find that I can?t pass up the opportunity to read the older styles of science fiction.

H. G Wells, John Maddox Roberts, Frank Herbert, Jules Verne, A.E. Van Vogt, John Wyndham, Harlan Ellison, J.G. Ballard. <---That?s My Type Of Book

What cant you read enough of?
I love to read over and over again:
the Harry Potter books
Lord of the Rings
DragonLance
The Mortal Instruments Series
Anything By Stephen King

What do you always come back to reading?

I've read Harry Potter over 20 times, Lord of the rings like 30times, I think those are always the best to just read over and over again. Ohhh one of my most fav books is Rose Madder by Stephen King. All time Fav. Book of them all.

I've never read a 'story' book more then once, once I've read something it's in my brain and I cannot get enjoyment from reading it again. I tend to buy alot of real life stories, things about mistreated kids, victorian households,asylums, prisons that kind of thing. I also really enjoy having something lighthearted for inbetween, books such as 'dear coca cola'. I've read alot of vampire novels as well, true blood, morganville vampires, vampire diaries, twilight (utter trash but I wanted to see what the hype was about), Anne Rice of course.

Oh wait I have read 2 books more then once, my own book series(because I have to edit and go over and over it) and my husband's book for the same reason and once it was published I read it again.

My favourites would be Anne Of Green Gables, Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. Any books that make me laugh, I prefer this than dark or heavy stuff because of being prone to anxiety and depression.

Catch-22, by Joseph Heller is one of the few books I read more than once. There's something about reading satirical and Absurdist literature that keeps me reading. Other books I have read more than once are usually more difficult books such as Godel, Escher, Bach, which explores many topics including physics, logic, metalogic, artificial intelligence, and how they all relate to consciousness. Generally, I don't read books more than once.

As for myself, it would be any book that deal with computer programming concepts or computer science in general. Also, any book that deals with mythology or epic storytelling (in the literal sense of 'epic'). I also enjoy books with a Medieval setting...though, I think my interest in fiction books is far less than the interest I have in books that teach and discuss a subject or skill.

I LOVE to read!!! I read everywhere! On the train, in bed, at the dinner table...even walking down the road! My favourite books are classic fiction. Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights etc. I like history too. Currently, I'm creating my home library.

There's just something about the feel, smell and texture of a book. I have to read everyday or else I get moody. I could never get a kindle though. I love to be surrounded by literature. I can just look at the title of a book and remember the story. Each one has been a friend to me over the years. The 'Discovery of Witches', written by Deborah Harkness has been, by FAR the BEST fictional book I've read in years. I fell in love with Matthew's character.
The author is currently in the process of completing the 3rd book of the trilogy! It's also being made into a movie too. I'm hoping to be able to attend one of her book signings. Books transport me to an entirely different dimension. With a book in my hand, I'm home.

H. G Wells, John Maddox Roberts, Frank Herbert, Jules Verne, A.E. Van Vogt, John Wyndham, Harlan Ellison, J.G. Ballard. <---That?s My Type Of Book

I'm exactly the same! Finally, I come across someone who maybe understands where I'm coming from. I hate modern North American fiction, but I am particularly disappointed in modern science fiction. It is much too extroverted. I don't care about the sexual affairs the scientists are having. Good science fiction centers science and concomitant adventure; modern science fiction is just drama set in space. It's politics and sociology and endless dialogue. The aliens or lasers or cloning are too often just a backdrop. It's largely about relationships between people...and so many people! Old-school science fiction generally has a rather limited cast of characters, but modern sci-fi is overflowing with people! Especially the meandering, multi-volume space operas. I find myself unable to keep track of all of the characters. My favorite novel of all time is The Time Machine, and I've only come to appreciate it more after slogging through modern sci-fi novels — one man and his wits up against one, unified adventure. Elegant simplicity.

I don't do story books. Can't understand fiction. I failed miserably at creative writing and novels in school no matter how hard I tried.

I've got nonfiction books on almost everything... math, astronomy, bikes, cars, houses, appliances, music, organization, maps, electronics, self help books... The passenger side of my bed always has a huge pile that I pick from and fall asleep to (and under or on).

But the books that I can't seem to get enough of reading and looking through are the ones about maximizing use of space in homes and outbuildings. Either how to remodel and organize a house, or ideas for new house construction. This one called "not so big house" is the latest one I can't get enough of. It's my mom's book and I always look at it when I am there.

And of course map books. I pore over maps for hours. I especially like looking at older maps and the old roads and railroads that don't exist anymore except as trails or seasonal roads, then taking the little 4x4 out to explore them. Sometimes finding remnants of old railroad bridges and things. I have this falling apart Michigan county map book from 1980 that is my holy grail.

I'm a sucker for anything by Salman Rushdie, probably because of the intensity of feeling I get from his lyrical style of writing. I was trying to explain the way I read to the psych a while ago, and I told her it was like the words are pictures (I have trouble imagining what characters would look like etc). This is especially true for me with Mr Rushdie's books. In terms of re-reading, I almost never re-read a book, but there a few that I can always go back to: The Great Gatsby, The Catcher in the Rye, and maybe a couple of others...

I mainly read Autobiographies and Biographies of musicians and other interesting people. In between these I take a break by reading a thriller, usually a military based thriller by an ex-SAS author. I do love reading Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels as well. At the moment I am reading a text book on the history and developments of the bass guitar.

I love books & have been collecting since I was young. Unfortunately I am not a good reader, speed is my main problem. It was suggested recently that I could be dyslexic. Most of my books are animal books, a lot of ID books for all sort of types of animals. Quite a few keeping and maintenance, ecology. I have many plant ID books, music, art (mainly Monet, I have about 5 on just his painting) & a few fiction. Arthur Connan Doyle, Gaston Leroux, Bram Stoker & HG Wells.

I remember reading the dictionary for fun when I was 7. I still read the dictionary for fun now, only it's Websters integrated dictionary 'and' thesaurus! :)

I remember reading the dictionary for fun when I was 7. I still read the dictionary for fun now, only it's Websters integrated dictionary 'and' thesaurus! :)

I used to do that too. I still have my American Heritage dictionary that I got when I won the school spelling bee in 1988.

I would also get up before everyone else on the weekends, lay on the heat register, and read the TV guide. To see what was on all the channels, even though we only got 4 channels. I was fascinated by the schedules, channel abbreviations, all of it. That was back when TV signed off and I'd always stay up for that, yes before getting up 4 hours later to read.

New Threads

Top Bottom