• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

'Techophobes' with interest in TECH.

MROSS

Anybody in that hard-to-define zone somewhere between 'techophobe' and 'technophile?'

I still use a ten-year old PC, I use smart-phones mainly for emergencies, prefer old-school Internet Forums to social media, and view 'Artificial Intelligence' (AI) TECH. with interest.

When will A.I. yield TECH. to put an end to those aggravating user experiences furthering 'tehcnophobia?

As a retired systems analyst, I am hardly a "technophobe," but I have no desire to own the "latest and the greatest."
I just use what I have until
  1. it breaks,
  2. it is no longer supported or
  3. a less expensive option becomes available.

It ain't broke and there's nothing to fix. Yet Microsoft insists I give up my ten year old computer.

So I'm using Linux these days....nuff said! Problem solved. :cool:

With an added bonus- support to 2027 on both Linux distros.

Last edited:
Is that an XP machine...?
It was a Windows 10 machine, until I switched to Linux Mint 21.2 and Pop!OS22.04.

My other "legacy" PC runs Windows XP, though it's totally disconnected from the Internet. That machine is well over 20 years old. Runs as well as it did when I first built it.

I'm generally closer to the side of "technophile". To a point.

The one exception for the longest time was smartphones. I dont use social media ever, and those devices tended to seem mostly useless aside from that. Though, I was also stuck with Apple devices, which... they're far too restricted for me. It's either on Apple's Profit Store- er, I mean, App Store, or it cant get onto the device without a jailbreak. Bloody useless gizmos. I always had one, but it usually sat forgotten in a corner somewhere. Basically acted purely as a safety device, where I could call for help if I found myself in trouble when outside of the house. Other than that, the stupid thing was just a flashlight and a magical talking map. I had no apps for the thing, because it couldnt DO things.

I dumped that nonsense very recently and got myself a Galaxy S23+. MUCH better. It actually, you know, DOES things. I mean good grief the sheer amount of features the thing has, compared to the iPhones "here's a camera and a map and a bad store and that's it".

Other than that, I'm primarily a PC user, with gaming being my main hobby/interest. I use WIndows devices. There's no choice there. Indie gaming is my thing and 99% of them dont work on Linux, so that's a big nope right there.

With AI, well, you name an AI, and I've probably used it. I've been dealing with GPT in general for a couple of years now, so ChatGPT wasnt exactly new to me.

But yeah, my "technophobe" side is mostly just how darned erratic I can be with all of it. I'll use these things, but not efficiently, and often not "properly". Think of like, a car mechanic, right, fixing things and working with careful efficiency with great mastery. Then think of someone who sorta just duct-tapes a car back together and it works for some inexplicable reason... that's me.

And I usually couldnt care less what the popular things are and what is considered bad. Like browsers for instance, I loathe Chrome with the blazing passion of a thousand exploding stars. Used to use it, couldnt stand it. I use Edge now, which for me is better to the point where the comparison isnt even fair. I know many dont like it, but... feh, dont care. I'm like that with most things. Provided I even know what's popular and what isnt. And I simply dont follow new developments or science or whatever. I use what I stumble into. My PC being the one exception to that rule since it is also used for fractal rendering. It's a hyper-expensive thing. However, I dont actually buy new PCs until my previous one falls apart. My current one is very recent.

And I'll never, ever understand the appeal of social media. Wont touch that nonsense with a 2000-foot pole. Particularly after seeing what it does to people. Methinks I'm fine with being old-fashioned about internet usage. I'll always stick with forums instead, and I really miss AOL and AIM.

I recently upgraded to a 5G cell phone. It was not because I was dissatisfied with 4G.* My previous carrier did not have coverage in a nearby county where I frequently do business and the new carrier only charges $5 more. But the new carrier's system did not work with my current phone.

*All local coverage (both carriers) are in 4G LTE anyway.

Last edited:
Based on what people say about me, I'm pretty good with making technology do it's thing. But I'm certainly not interested in the latest or greatest either. I will wring every last drop of usefulness I can out of my phone or computer or laptop etc.

The corporations are pretty good at persuading people that the new iteration of their product is vastly superior to the previous one. This happens often with cars. They shoehorn things like devices that allow you to tweet or post to Facebook into cars. I'm probably old fashioned but I don't think that sort of thing is necessary.

In terms of the bits that make up the "business ends" of cars, there's not really that much that has changed in perhaps 40 years when you are talking internal combustion. There may be some improvements in terms of efficiency and emissions, but fundamentally they work the same way.

Then there's phones, I don't intend on replacing mine until it literally can't be used anymore. My phone cost about £90 about 3 years ago. Some of the updates have caused some funky behaviour but I can live with it. It looks just as fancy as any other flagship nondescript rectangle out there and there's no way I'm paying several hundreds of pounds on a phone.

So I'm a bit of a luddite. I have a lot of vintage computers, over 90 at the last count (yay! Special interests!) I would quite happily use any of them to post on forums or browse the internet if I could. But sadly the over use of Java Script has more or less ruled that out, at least until some genius figures out a solution.

So in some ways I'm a bit of a technophobe ironically, insofar as I just don't see a need to obtain the latest thing and keep up. My MacBook is nearing 12 years old and I've persuaded it to run a recent version of MacOS and may well put the latest version on there soon. But there's no rush for me, it works fine and I can do everything I need to with it. But there are people who would tell me my MacBook must be useless because of it's age, possibly because they want to justify the £1600 they spent on theirs lol! :smilecat:

I do find the latest tech interesting to read about or see demonstrated, but I don't feel a huge motivation to buy it.

Regular social media is just a senseless dopamine machine 99% of the time. People taking the power back into their own hands definitely don't sound like 'techophobes' to me, but that's just my opinion!

Not a technophobe, but don't fix unbroken stuff either.
It was a Windows 10 machine, until I switched to Linux Mint 21.2 and Pop!OS22.04.

My other "legacy" PC runs Windows XP, though it's totally disconnected from the Internet. That machine is well over 20 years old. Runs as well as it did when I first built it.
I have an XP laptop I use to program radios. I have other laptops with various flavors of Linux. I also have several Raspberry Pis running a few versions of Linux. I even have a working Sinclair ZX81 in working order - it ain't broke.
Windows lost me long before they switched to a rental model. I don't mind buying software. I won't rent it. No more than I would lease a landline phone from "Ma Bell".

Windows lost me long before they switched to a rental model. I don't mind buying software. I won't rent it.
Before subscriptions, MS-Office was out of reach for me.
And Norton Anti-Virus has always been a subscription item, but it does not make sense for most apps.

For me personally, AI is the cause technophobia, lol.
I do not like how people are pushing the boundaries of what they AI can do on its own.

I've seen iRobot and Minority Report..

However my laptop has AI for running the graphics processors and it is useful.

As far as I'm concerned, I basically never pay for software. I'm not a pirate though. I just use open source software like Open Office. If you look in the right places you will nearly always find an open source alternative to the big bucks software.

Where are the right places to look? Google for the kind of app you are looking for and append "open source" to your search. Then when the results come up, simply skip the first 4-5 as they will be Ads for commercial software. Then check the remaining links until you find what you are looking for.

I have video transcoding for free through Handbrake, CD/DVD burning through Image Burn, Audio editing through Audacity (older version to avoid spyware), Open Office, Virtual machines through Virtual Box. There's almost always a free alternative to paid software and often they're just as good, if not better than the commercial versions.

Anybody in that hard-to-define zone somewhere between 'techophobe' and 'technophile?'

I still use a ten-year old PC, I use smart-phones mainly for emergencies, prefer old-school Internet Forums to social media, and view 'Artificial Intelligence' (AI) TECH. with interest.

When will A.I. yield TECH. to put an end to those aggravating user experiences furthering 'tehcnophobia?

10's pretty good. I have a 30 year old IBM Aptiva c.1993 that still runs last time I checked it out a few years ago. :D

Anyway, I think yeah. A type of tech was my job in military but I show my aspie in wanting to stay with what I know rather then learn something new (technology wise, in other subjects I am opposite).

I'm not a technophobe, but I tend not to buy new things until the old one broke, mainly for financial reasons, and also I don't get this thing where some people feel compelled to buy the latest phone model as soon as it comes out, when their old one is working just fine.

...I don't get this thing where some people feel compelled to buy the latest phone model as soon as it comes out, when their old one is working just fine.
They used to do that with PCs, too.
I called it Keeping Up With The Cloneses.
full

Last edited:
I don't get this thing where some people feel compelled to buy the latest phone model as soon as it comes out, when their old one is working just fine.

Yeah, this is another thing I've never been able to understand.

Like, I did switch to my current phone while my previous is still working, BUT, that was an exception to the rule... basically my patience with Apple just broke and I wanted to give these gizmos a chance WITHOUT Apple being present.

Previously though, I'd not upgrade phones until the old one fell apart. Been the same with most devices.

But people seem to get exceptionally fanatical about phones in particular. I dont get that. It's like they tie half of their personality to the concept of "has a new phone". Even more ridiculous when the upgrade from the previous one to the new one is hard to even notice. Oh boy, it has FIVE MORE MEGAPIXELS, wowsers! And it takes TWO drops before it shatters instead of one! Gee whiz, time to dump $5000 on it!

I have and use an updated smartphone, I'm on Facebook and take part in the social interests that go on there. My smartphone is everything to me and has my whole life on it basically. It helps me with depression, loneliness and disorganisation (except the grief I sometimes get on social media including internet forums but at the same time I'll be lost without them).

But I like having DVDs and I don't have Netflix or Disney+, and I think it sucks that a lot of box sets have stopped being produced like it's a way of forcing everyone to get Netflix and Disney+, and not everyone can afford the extra cost of it each month even if it is only £10. I've had to cancel my audiobook subscription for the same reason. I know DVDs cost but you only buy those once, sometimes only for like £6, and then it's your's to keep forever. Also it's like a treat, and if you're collecting a whole series on DVD like I was with The Simpsons, it's a disappointment to have that suddenly stopped. I have seasons 1-20 on DVD, but I want to have seasons 21+ on DVD too, even know those newer seasons aren't supposed to be as good but that's not the point, I still want to watch them.

Same. When my carrier pushes absolutely free upgrade for my phone, that's when I will give in and get whatever new one. I will say that I am more interested of late, though because the cameras in phones have caught up to cinematic quality, they film in low light extremely well and the in-phone editing options are top notch. I've been sitting on a web series concept for a while (where everything is specifically people filming experiences with their phone), and it may be time to finally make it happen.

New Threads

Top Bottom