• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tackling bullying could help reduce depression in autistic teens

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Teenagers with difficulties in social communication, including autism have higher rates of depressive symptoms, especially if they are being bullied.

Researchers at the University of Bristol, using questionnaire, clinic and genetic information on 6091 young people from the Children of the 90s longitudinal study, found that children with autism and those with autistic traits had more symptoms of depression when they were 10 years old than their peers and that this continued at least up to the age of 18.

Children with difficulties in social communication were also more likely to have a diagnosis of depression at 18 and the findings suggest an increased risk for those who suffered from bullying. The researchers did not find any link between having higher genetic tendencies towards autism and depressive symptoms.

Dr. Dheeraj Rai, Consultant Senior Lecturer in Psychiatry at the Centre for Academic Mental Health said: "We still know very little about why mental health problems are common in autism and what could be done to address them.

"Thanks to the wealth of data collected within the Children of the 90s study, we tracked the development of depressive symptoms in children with autism and autistic features up to the age of 18 years.

"We found that these children have more depressive symptoms than their peers at age 10 and these continue through adolescence to age 18, especially in children who reported being bullied.

"More research needs to be done to understand other pathways contributing to the risk of depression in autism across the life course, but these findings suggest that focusing on the role of traumatic experiences such as bullying and interventions targeting these, could be important and may have the potential to make a real difference to the wellbeing of autistic people."

Alan Emond, Professor of Child Health at the Centre for Child and Adolescent Health at the University of Bristol added: "Bullying can be detrimental to anyone's mental health, but young people with social communication difficulties and other autistic traits seem to be particularly vulnerable. To protect autistic children and young people a whole school approach is needed to prevent bullying, coupled with targeted support for vulnerable individuals."

Dr. James Cusack, Director of Science at Autistica, the charity for autism research, said: "Autistic people and families have told us that mental health is their top priority for research. This is not surprising as we know autistic people experience high rates of chronic mental health problems which lead to tragically high rates of suicide. Yet, our knowledge of autism and depression has remained poor.

"This excellent study tells us that symptoms of depression are elevated in autistic adolescents. The authors found that it was bullying rather than genetic differences which drove an increase in depressive symptoms in autistic people.

"We now urgently need to carefully understand bullying and other traumatic experiences in autistic people as we're now finding they can have a devastating impact.

"As the UK's autism research charity, we will be working hard to ensure that further research on priority areas like this is supported. If we can improve the mental health of autistic people we can go a long way to ensuring they can live the long, healthy, happy life they deserve."

Source: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-06-tackling-bullying-depression-autistic-teens.html

This is all well and good, but how on earth are they going to do this? I cannot think of ways to stop the bullys which seem to start appearing in first grade and grow in power as they go through the grades. Even though measures are already taken by teachers (my stepsister taught 1 & 3 rd grade), you cannot follow the little bullying monsters around 24/7. They are everywhere, and feed on the weak to join their masses, and as a collective group create misery in the lives of the uniquely different.

What? The conclusion I'm drawing from this is that these yahoos believe that a basic sense of security is integral to the happiness of people with autism, and that such could be achieved by preventing them from being targeted and ripped apart on a daily basis by social predators.

I dunno, seems a little far-fetched to me; more pills and useless therapy or GTFO

What? The conclusion I'm drawing from this is that these yahoos believe that a basic sense of security is integral to the happiness of people with autism, and that such could be achieved by preventing them from being targeted and ripped apart on a daily basis by social predators.

I dunno, seems a little far-fetched to me; more pills and useless therapy or GTFO

It’s not about “pills and useless therapy” for autistics, but about stopping bullies from THEIR actions. You were so quick to make an error in assumptions.

A basic sense of security is neccessary for ALL children to grow up healthily and thrive- both physically, and emotionally. What are you saying??? They have found that PTSD in young children leads to all sorts of permanent problems as they grow up, and live as adults. Any child that somehow how stands out can be subject to bullying. Red hair caused a teen to commit suicide due to being bullied. My curly hair caused me to be severely bullied at a time when all white girls were supposed to look like Marsha Brady (widely popular 60s tv show “The Brady Bunch” and iron one’s hair flat and straight. Bullies prey in those with physical and cognitive challenges, or having freckles, or being too tall, or for a million other reasons.

Yes, children / adults with autism suffer greatly, and to target them out for studies is because there is funding and grants available, for this severely bullied, severely suicidal population. It makes perfect sense.
I am all for it! These aspie threads are filled with repeated posts from young suicidal, depressed young people (Teens and in 20s), who were and still are continually bullied.). Let’s stop bullying it, or try to have more public awareness campaigns of stopping bullying, and increasing awareness ness of diversity, in the early grades on up.

It’s not about “pills and useless therapy” for autistics, but about stopping bullies from THEIR actions. You were so quick to make an error in assumptions.

A basic sense of security is neccessary for ALL children to grow up healthily and thrive- both physically, and emotionally. What are you saying??? They have found that PTSD in young children leads to all sorts of permanent problems as they grow up, and live as adults. Any child that somehow how stands out can be subject to bullying. Red hair caused a teen to commit suicide due to being bullied. My curly hair caused me to be severely bullied at a time when all white girls were supposed to look like Marsha Brady (widely popular 60s tv show “The Brady Bunch” and iron one’s hair flat and straight. Bullies prey in those with physical and cognitive challenges, or having freckles, or being too tall, or for a million other reasons.

Yes, children / adults with autism suffer greatly, and to target them out for studies is because there is funding and grants available, for this severely bullied, severely suicidal population. It makes perfect sense.
I am all for it! These aspie threads are filled with repeated posts from young suicidal, depressed young people (Teens and in 20s), who were and still are continually bullied.). Let’s stop bullying it, or try to have more public awareness campaigns of stopping bullying, and increasing awareness ness of diversity, in the early grades on up.
@Gritches' comment was "tongue-in-cheek".

No, I reread his comments carefully. He believes that. Why else would he disparage others so intently? Calling them “yahoos,” etc.
I think it's in a "well, duh, obviously" way. Calling something obvious "far-fetched" with an "X or GTFO" statement made it clear to me. I really don't know what to tell you.

No, I reread his comments carefully. He believes that. Why else would he disparage others so intently? Calling them “yahoos,” etc.

I wish this forum didn't have a "show ignored content" button; sometimes my curiosity gets the better of me and I click it - instant regret.

But yes, @55853 is correct, as is anyone with half a brain who reads what I wrote: my comments were tongue in cheek. I didn't even read the three paragraphs you wrote in response, I'm sure they can be summarized with the words "derp" and "durr". Okie doke, back to ignore with you.

I wish this forum didn't have a "show ignored content" button; sometimes my curiosity gets the better of me and I click it - instant regret.

But yes, @55853 is correct, as is anyone with half a brain who reads what I wrote: my comments were tongue in cheek. I didn't even read the three paragraphs you wrote in response, I'm sure they can be summarized with the words "derp" and "durr". Okie doke, back to ignore with you.

“Half a brain?” Many aspies take what they see, read, hear at face value. So you just criticized and bullied a huge portion of us forum users. Maybe you should read and not be so cruel to other aspies. Bullies also “ ignore” others. So actually, YOU are whom the article is talking about.

Bullying is older than humanity and it's not going anywhere. These entire, "stop bullying" campaigns always fail to even identify what bullying actually is. They always make sure the definition is broad enough that they can exclude their own kids from the label. In reality there are more bullies than non-bullies in every classroom.

It's rarely the 1 big bad kid in the class who steals your lunch money. It's all about exclusion and hierarchy. Until these are not part of society in general then they will be part of school and growing up. This is an unavoidable truth. You can't force everyone to be friends. In any social setting a hierarchy is constructed. It's human nature to try to have a high status within this. Some, many, are going to see one way of securing their place is to subject a possible rival to the bottom.

People, in general, exist in the short term and within a very basic reward system. This behavior in not something that will be "aware'd" out of the juvenile Homo sapiens or the adult for that matter.

Most adults still need a bullying outlet and often find them vicariously on TV or by talking trash about "friends"; often doing this in front of their children and then they turn around and tell them they are horrified by bullying.

Finding faults in other people to make one's self feel better is a timeless pick-me-up that transcends age and cultural boundaries. I was brutally bullied in school with an intensity that is hard to put into words.

“Half a brain?” Many aspies take what they see, read, hear at face value. So you just criticized and bullied a huge portion of us forum users. Maybe you should read and not be so cruel to other aspies. Bullies also “ ignore” others. So actually, YOU are whom the article is talking about.

Maybe the article is talking about people who are on my ignore list because they try to pick fights with me.

Maybe the article is about people who can't handle it when someone throws shade back at them.

There's being Aspie and then there's being an idiot and then a jerk about it. You should've kept your mouth shut both here and in other threads but you didn't. Now you're getting a rather mild response from me and you're crying about me bullying you? Stop picking fights if you can't handle a fight.

Personal bickering has no place in a thread.

The article proposes the concept that
individuals with communication difficulties may be
prone to depression when they are being bullied.

To quote:
"Teenagers with difficulties in social communication,
including autism have higher rates of depressive symptoms,
especially if they are being bullied."

Please direct any further posts in this thread toward that idea.

ac75 civil.png

Instead of getting someone else to stop ‘the bullies’ (teachers, authorities, parents etc)
Which, I.m.h.o doesn’t really work,

How about building the child up?
Self esteem?
Self confidence?
Ability to handle themselves in a physical situation should it ever be required?

Build them up to a place where taunts are water off a ducks back?

Instead of getting someone else to stop ‘the bullies’ (teachers, authorities, parents etc)
Which, I.m.h.o doesn’t really work,

How about building the child up?
Self esteem?
Self confidence?
Ability to handle themselves in a physical situation should it ever be required?

Build them up to a place where taunts are water off a ducks back?

Arm the children!

Arm the children!

Not weapons Mr F,

Self defence?
Law?

A belief in themselves,
Just because another child judges and labels, doesn’t automatically make it true.

There are probably techie terms for all of this but my memory thinks it’s a uk bank holiday and hasn’t come into work today.

New Threads

Top Bottom