• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

System error: Japan cybersecurity minister admits he has never used a computer

Aeolienne

Yoshitaka Sakurada also seemed confused by the concept of a USB drive when asked in parliament

A Japanese minister in charge of cybersecurity has provoked astonishment by admitting he has never used a computer in his professional life, and appearing confused by the concept of a USB drive.

Yoshitaka Sakurada, 68, is the deputy chief of the government’s cybersecurity strategy office and also the minister in charge of the Olympic and Paralympic Games that Tokyo will host in 2020.

In parliament on Wednesday however, he admitted he doesn’t use computers.

“Since the age of 25, I have instructed my employees and secretaries, so I don’t use computers myself,” he said in a response to an opposition question in a lower house session, local media reported.

He also appeared confused by the question when asked about whether USB drives were in use at Japanese nuclear facilities.

His comments were met with incredulity by opposition lawmakers.

And his comments provoked a firestorm online.

“Doesn’t he feel ashamed?” wrote one Twitter user.

“Today any company president uses a PC. He doesn’t even know what a USB is. Holy cow.”

Another joked that perhaps Sakurada was simply engaged in his own kind of cybersecurity.

“If a hacker targets this Minister Sakurada, they wouldn’t be able to steal any information. Indeed it might be the strongest kind of security!”

Sakurada has been in office just over a month, after being appointed in a cabinet reshuffle following Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s reelection as head of his political party.

His Luddite tendencies aside, Sakurada has also struggled to master his Olympic brief, less than two years before the Games open in Tokyo.

Earlier this month he claimed to know nothing about plans for North Korea’s sports minister to attend a meeting in Tokyo at the end of the month, in violation of a ban on the regime’s officials entering Japan.

After Sakurada told a news conference that he was “unaware” of the report, an aide intervened and he quickly corrected himself, claiming that officials had indeed briefed him.

He also suggested that he did not know that Thomas Bach, the president of the International Olympic Committee, had asked the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in March to allow his country’s athletes to take part in the 2020 Games.

“This is not something I should be meddling in in my capacity,” he said, according to the Asahi newspaper. “It’s beyond my jurisdiction.”

Sakurada blamed one particularly unimpressive performance in parliament on the opposition MP Renho Murata, complaining that she had not given him her questions in advance.

“Since there was no prior notice about the questions, I had no idea what would be asked at the session,” the Asahi quoted him as saying.

When Renho asked him how much funding the central government would contribute to the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics, he responded: “1,500 yen”, which works out at just over $13, some way below the actual sum of 150 billion yen.

Source: Guardian

It has a great deal do with cultural inheritance and traditions. It's likely that as a minister within this hierarchy he's the nominal head of this 'nepotism' portfolio.
Giving orders and structure as a leader. With this loss of face, this hatchet job by the opposition, it's likely that he'll retire.

To add to what @Mia posted, just I wish I had a dollar for every administrator who in earnest perceived their job only to boil down to telling other people how to do their jobs and never the work itself. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately at times even the US Congress may appear as inept when it comes to an understanding of criminal intent and espionage when it comes to high technology.

Encouraging to see a former computer programmer elected to the Senate, although it will only be such benefit provided she's placed on the proper subcommittees relative to such concerns.

Well, still seems better than for example what the NSA has been up to.
Also look for the belgian health minister.

At 68 years old I could see how a career administrative bureaucrat might have successfully avoided the use of a computer. Though I must admit that for future generations this would be highly unlikely.

I still recall around 1980 when the office I worked in started to become automated. Only specific people like myself had access to and were expected to use computers. A time when supervisors and managers
wouldn't go near them. A few years later and most people had computers at their workstations. Though I suspect some of them seldom touched their keyboards as they didn't have to use them. It happened.

When your job is to delegate work, it's a given that they are likely to delegate what they don't understand. After all, there's no reason to validate the "Peter Principle" any more than a manager has to. ;) :eek:

Last edited:
its all part of the new 'culture' in business in politics and business

subject expertise doesn't matter anymore, been replaced by selfies and motivational tweets

its all part of the new 'culture' in business in politics and business

subject expertise doesn't matter anymore, been replaced by selfies and motivational tweets

Rest assured, there's nothing "new" about such a dynamic in the workplace. Whereupon that which you don't know, you delegate. Without giving any though to actually having to learn something on the job! :rolleyes:

Better known as "CYA".

Tweeting and selfies just allow someone to "talk the talk" rather than "walk the walk".

Rest assured, there's nothing "new" about such a dynamic in the workplace. Whereupon that which you don't know, you delegate. Without giving any though to actually having to learn something on the job! :rolleyes:

Better known as "CYA".

Tweeting and selfies just allow someone to "talk the talk" rather than "walk the walk".

i was just having a fond memory of when i was younger and able to talk to my boss, rather than having to explain my job to him along with explaining almost every word that i need to describe said job :)

somehow the balance has switched, i used to respect my bosses because, through experience and knowledge, they were often just more competent than me, so i could learn

now i look at my younger bosses and can't help from thinking 'what a moron'

i was just having a fond memory of when i was younger and able to talk to my boss, rather than having to explain my job to him along with explaining almost every word that i need to describe said job :)

somehow the balance has switched, i used to respect my bosses because, through experience and knowledge, they were often just more competent than me, so i could learn

now i look at my younger bosses and can't help from thinking 'what a moron'

Oh yeah. I can recall such brief discussions with our Branch Manager along such lines. Where the guy didn't have a clue of what I was trying to do, but just wanted to make it clear that he was still in charge of it all. But then that was some thirty-five years ago.

The only skill I ever perceived him to have was the ability to tell people to do something because he was the boss, and for no other reason. o_O

Oh yeah. I can recall such brief discussions with our Branch Manager along such lines. Where the guy didn't have a clue of what I was trying to do, but just wanted to make it clear that he was still in charge of it all. But then that was some thirty-five years ago.

The only skill I ever perceived him to have was the ability to tell people to do something because he was the boss, and for no other reason. o_O

sorry, just looking through my 'good old days' glasses,
i was let go last year during sick leave'
during one of my last team meetings with my boss,
he suggested that we don't meet our targets, as a colleague was maternity leave and the higher ups may think we were overstaffed (yes, really)
i looked at him, asked him if he was stupid, and then proceeded to explain to him that either we are overstaffed or we aren't, figure it out, sort it with management
i don't think he appreciated it much

he once called me in with the senior manager,
he started criticising me and i basically undermined his data and logically tore apart every point he tried to make against me,
at the end of it i smiled at him and suggested we go out to lunch more often so he could keep tabs on me,
he declined :)

sorry, just looking through my 'good old days' glasses,
i was let go last year during sick leave'
during one of my last team meetings with my boss,
he suggested that we don't meet our targets, as a colleague was maternity leave and the higher ups may think we were overstaffed (yes, really)
i looked at him, asked him if he was stupid, and then proceeded to explain to him that either we are overstaffed or we aren't, figure it out, sort it with management
i don't think he appreciated it much

he once called me in with the senior manager,
he started criticising me and i basically undermined his data and logically tore apart every point he tried to make against me,
at the end of it i smiled at him and suggested we go out to lunch more often so he could keep tabs on me,
he declined :)

Well, you do bring up a pertinent point to it all. That such dynamics in the workplace have not gotten any better. Perhaps even worse.

You'd think in any highly technical work environment that the last thing managers would want would be to run an office like a feudal environment. Where if you aren't a "lord", you're a "serf". Bad scene, baby. :rolleyes:

I still recall an incident in the same office in 1981 when I asked my supervisor as to why he requested something, and his only response was,"Because I'm the boss!" Big mistake for him, as his boss the Operations Manager was standing right behind him. She then asked him to step into her office and we could all hear her yelling at him even through her plate-glass corner office.

The irony though was that while she called him out on what he said, she didn't have an answer to my question either, and didn't want to admit it. Go figure. :p

Last edited:
I still recall around 1980 when the office I worked in started to become automated. Only specific people like myself had access to and were expected to use computers. A time when supervisors and managers
wouldn't go near them.

Recall a sibling telling me in the eighties that she would never learn to type, while I and two others were taking a typing class. As she would have secretaries and clerks to do that for her. When there was a downturn in the business world and she lost her last assistant in an office purge, she was forced to learn to type in her fifties.

Recall a sibling telling me in the eighties that she would never learn to type, while I and two others were taking a typing class. As she would have secretaries and clerks to do that for her. When there was a downturn in the business world and she lost her last assistant in an office purge, she was forced to learn to type in her fifties.

Indeed, those wonderful eighties. :eek:

Where someone discovered that deliberately reducing resources (downsizing) was a perfectly legitimate way to cut costs and deliver a better bottom line to shareholders. Even in the event there wasn't any real "economic downturn". Causing a whole lot of grief up and down the chain of command.

Funny to recall the typing department back in the eighties. It didn't fold until 1990 when the branch moved out of San Francisco. At times they even farmed out work for outside typists. Seems like a million years ago now. o_O

But those basic keyboarding skills...they are here to stay!

Last edited:

Yoshitaka Sakurada also seemed confused by the concept of a USB drive when asked in parliament

A Japanese minister in charge of cybersecurity has provoked astonishment by admitting he has never used a computer in his professional life, and appearing confused by the concept of a USB drive.

Yoshitaka Sakurada, 68, is the deputy chief of the government’s cybersecurity strategy office and also the minister in charge of the Olympic and Paralympic Games that Tokyo will host in 2020.

In parliament on Wednesday however, he admitted he doesn’t use computers.

“Since the age of 25, I have instructed my employees and secretaries, so I don’t use computers myself,” he said in a response to an opposition question in a lower house session, local media reported.

He also appeared confused by the question when asked about whether USB drives were in use at Japanese nuclear facilities.

His comments were met with incredulity by opposition lawmakers.

And his comments provoked a firestorm online.

“Doesn’t he feel ashamed?” wrote one Twitter user.

“Today any company president uses a PC. He doesn’t even know what a USB is. Holy cow.”

Another joked that perhaps Sakurada was simply engaged in his own kind of cybersecurity.

“If a hacker targets this Minister Sakurada, they wouldn’t be able to steal any information. Indeed it might be the strongest kind of security!”

Sakurada has been in office just over a month, after being appointed in a cabinet reshuffle following Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s reelection as head of his political party.

His Luddite tendencies aside, Sakurada has also struggled to master his Olympic brief, less than two years before the Games open in Tokyo.

Earlier this month he claimed to know nothing about plans for North Korea’s sports minister to attend a meeting in Tokyo at the end of the month, in violation of a ban on the regime’s officials entering Japan.

After Sakurada told a news conference that he was “unaware” of the report, an aide intervened and he quickly corrected himself, claiming that officials had indeed briefed him.

He also suggested that he did not know that Thomas Bach, the president of the International Olympic Committee, had asked the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in March to allow his country’s athletes to take part in the 2020 Games.

“This is not something I should be meddling in in my capacity,” he said, according to the Asahi newspaper. “It’s beyond my jurisdiction.”

Sakurada blamed one particularly unimpressive performance in parliament on the opposition MP Renho Murata, complaining that she had not given him her questions in advance.

“Since there was no prior notice about the questions, I had no idea what would be asked at the session,” the Asahi quoted him as saying.

When Renho asked him how much funding the central government would contribute to the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics, he responded: “1,500 yen”, which works out at just over $13, some way below the actual sum of 150 billion yen.

Source: Guardian
Ironically, since he doesn't use a computer he is actually pretty cyber secure because there isn't really anything anybody could glean from his browsing habits or computer usage. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom