• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Swearing

C

Chris

Starting this topic (inspired by Michael H) to try and understand people's views on swearing and what are classed as swear words.

I was always brought up not to swear and that swearing was wrong etc, I know a lot of people are taught this and in the eyes of the law or formal authoritive figures, it is offensive. I swear comfortably from time to time in general conversation - both online and off, without meaning to cause offense and usually its accepted. If I'm talking to, or in the prescence of someone who is sensitive to language, i'll refrain from using it. It's obvious as time has progressed these words have lost a considerable amount of their weight - In the 1930's you could probably have been hung (Okay, hanged, but I hate that bit of grammar) for it.

To me, swear words are just words. I don't understand how someone can attach an offensive value to a word. All words are just tools of sound, I can't grasp the concept of a certain string of letters having such an impact on someone. Although they're never usually used in the definitively correct context, they're often used as a form of emphasis on the point at hand - I won't give any examples for obvious reasons. Another thing I don't understand is when words become 'offensive', when they are used in the right context - okay, for example ****. It's poo. We all know that, it means the same thing... why does the latter carry less offensive value?

The outcome of this thread may result in me imposing censorship filters on the forums for certain words.

Thats another thing I'd like to quickly discuss - do people that take offensive to profanity find any words that are censored any less offensive, is it pointless? (I.e, i'm sure you all know what I mean by f**k). Or is it better to censor words by a means of replacement, I.e. instead of.. s**t, to have crap, or another variation.

:ball:

It's not that I find swearing offensive...I swear quite a lot at home. But I only usually swear when I am angry, frustrated or really sad. Or if I am especially happy.

Even though I do swear at home, I don't think it's advisable to swear repeatedly ONLINE. You don't know who's browsing. My 8 year old neice goes online. It's just not nice. And some people do find it offensive. And even if it isn't offensive (and I have said to my mum that they're just words) you don't need to say that something's **** when you can say it's rubbish or crap.

Lol. I agree with you for the most-part, but as for younger viewers... did you consider the... much worse things that are within reach online? If anything, swearing is something they will eventually come to have to live with. Maybe it isn't the moral highground, but it's true.

Meh. This is subjective.
If I have kids(which I don't plan on doing so), I'd swear around them, but inform them of how swearing is interpreted etc.
I'll admit, I go to Ireland a lot 'cause a lot of my family's there, and swearing is a lot more socially accepted there, and it just is sad when I see 5 year olds swearing. Even though it's stupid when they are just words.
TBH, in the end of the day it's up to the parent to enforce their views regarding swearing.
You should see my next door neighbours, they don't let their kids mingle with people who swear, they're not allowed to watch TV, home schooled, not allowed to watch radio, etc. That's simply not the right way to do it. You can't stop children being exposed to issues like sex and swearing because to do that you're also not allowing them to be exposed to basic social rules etc.(they don't know anything about social standards).
EMZ=]

People who shelter their kids will find that they will struggle more and more as they mature due to them trying to find a footing.

As far as swearing goes, the meaning behind the words may change over time. I swear more than some people in my family, but when I do it's to carry emphasis. Racist words should definitely be censored, and I also think that flaming (fag, idiot, etc) towards a member of the site should result in the full post being deleted and a MOD note inserted indicating why, with a maximum number of warnings before the person is disalowed to post for a few days. For opinions regarding people in general I think that the word/phrase in particular could be either changed by a MOD if it's overly offensive, and a few warnings at least to try to use different words since there's no reason to refer to a neurotypical as an idiot or anything like that. After a certain amount of warnings perhaps the person could be disallowed to post for a few days so that they get the point. These warnings should at least expire after a certain amount of time, since I'm sure very few will be able to refrain from abusing the rules from time to time.
Anyway, those are just a few opinions to be considered, and we all know that a website will need structure if it is to become successful.

I would think this link, although satirical, carries an excelent point:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-words-you-cant-say-on-the-internet-without-starting-a-flame-war

I don't know what makes certain words more offensive than ones that mean the same thing, but all the same I don't like swearing and never swear myself. I'll use some minor words, like crap (since I don't consider that an actual swearword), but I won't use anything like the F word, S word or B word.

I swear occasionally but it's usually when I feel really strongly about something, like say if I get annoyed or upset. I draw the line at the C word though. I really don't like that word.

When it's people I don't know and they are swearing execcivly (sp), I get very uncomfortable.

For some reason lot of swear words bother me because it tells me they are very angry and I think they are angry all the time.

I also don't like it when people curse at me. That is if it's directed at me.

It's different when my husband says he is ****ing his wife or ****ing an aspie because he says it during sex. **** is another word for sex.

I swear to express my frustrations and I say "crap."

I must be the only person who'd prefer swear words to the 'polite' names! Not that I swear, unless very wound up or annoyed but that's just my choice.

I hardly ever swear. Maybe shit from time to time, like if I drop my change at the counter or something. My parents have always sworn around me. They are well educated, cultured people, it's just that English swear words don't mean much to them because they're not English. So I knew those words when I was little, but I don't really use them. The occasion doesn't come up and they don't really get my frustration out because they're not very meaningful to me. However, if someone swears at me, I don't take it well. I think it's very rude to swear in the company of someone you don't know well (i.e. peers at school).

i do when im mad ,frustrated or confused but never around my mom because i know she does not like it.

I have always seen swearing as wrong but used to have a bad temper and around males I would swear. I tend to be calm and lovey dovey as can be around females and return to my normal form. Around guys my patience level goes down and I may swear. But it doesn't mean I want to :)

I use biological vulgarity, but I don't
swear. Not damn or God Damn...etc.
That seems silly to me, to carry on
calling out for God to damn a thing.

I read that in the early Pilgrim type
days, it was ok to say 'Curse the owl,'
for instance. But not ok to holler
out "G*d damn [or curse] the owl."

Apparently that was considered
over reaching oneself. That's how I
feel/think about it, although I am not
a pilgrim/puritan.

I do swear and curse, mostly under my breath, and out of frustration and anger, and almost never directed at a particular person. I am not offended by the language, but I am by the sentiment or the intent behind it. I am especially effected by someone swearing AT me or someone else, or swearing when they are mad at me or someone else.

I swear all the time, and i hate it. I picked it up when i worked on the docks where every second word uttered was a swearword, like people couldn't really understand what you were talking about unless you punctuated everything with swearwords, and it actually really helped to understand how someone felt about whatever they were talking about lol.

I don't swear much unless it's to make a point about swearing. The result is that when I do swear, people notice.

I swear more as a part of my image and, thus career than I do privately. Just an example here, so don't ream me a new one here Mods. :)

On Stage me : Are you &#$%()& ready to rock? I can't !@#$!& %^$#&() hear you! Hey, use that mouth on your boyfriend's @#$%^&( ^&*% not your ^&$$()*& phone!"

Private me: (same message) Are you ready to rock? I can't hear you! Hey, get off your phone and pay attention!"

I do occasionally swear privately, no big deal. they are just words and, society has decided that they are vulgar, obscene or otherwise offensive for some odd reason. Many words that are considers swear words have legitimate uses that are actually proper and should not be offensive at all yet, we rarely hear those uses today. Proper term for a female canine, name for a donkey for example.

I have wondered about this. Let's take for example the F word. It is a coarse euphemism to mean to have sexual intercourse.
If we know that and we design to say "jingle" instead of "F**k" isn't that as coarse given that they refer to the same thing.

Jingle off, I would really like to jing her, I am having a jingling bad time right now.

I am guessing it wouldn't be censored but I don't know why ?

New Threads

Top Bottom