• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Suggested rule change: Prohibition of "cure peddling"

I am not advocating that thing, just trying to think of structure how to pull it apart

I know you’re not I’m sorry I didn’t mean to imply you were, it was just a silly attempt at a joke. It’s just that every time it comes up things get heated quickly, people hold very strong views on ABA one way or the other and there rarely seems to be any common ground between the two sides.

Again however IMO, if we want to change the minds of parents especially, criticising,
attacking, judging, belittling, upsetting, etc etc is not the way to do it. We need to engage with them in a respectful and nonjudgmental way for them to stick around, listen and absorb what we are telling them. If they feel under attack they will leave and not come back then feel justified in what they are doing.

No one ever changed their mind because they got a kicking, that’s when you dig in more and deeper, people change their mind when presented with facts and testimonials in a calm and respectful fashion.

I get the joke, totally.
That's the thing when words become toxic, you can't make a point without covering your head from a 'ton of bricks', lol :D

So indeed, pouring a ton of bricks on the word 'cure' might stop the important discussion to be had

I agree for the most part. Promoting anything as a cure without substantial medical science evidence is most likely useless, disappointing or perhaps dangerous. They come in different forms: Peddlers, with a profit motive, Promoters who think they know the answer (which isn't recognized by the medical field) and Sharers who think it might be an answer, to name a few.

Although I am not unsympathetic to the last sort I mentioned, who just genuinely feel they are on to something, it's tiring to try and sort them all out and repeat the same arguments over and over about lacking evidence and wasting effort and perhaps funds on unproven therapies.

So in the end I think it would be best to have a prohibition against posts promoting cures or therapies outside of established medical practices.

That doesn't mean people can't share activities or methods they use to handle various situations or seem to help in a general mood or outlook sort of way. Things like 'I usually feel more relaxed after exercise' etc. These do not claim to be cures, just various sorts of coping mechanisms.

I recall the thread in question, recently viewed, and I didn't like it. I was glad to see many people challenging the message with vigor. I wrote nothing in the thread because I wanted to say something very harsh, but I refrained because I try to hold respect for people whose views are in the extreme. In this case, the message was useless, and I don't like people playing tricks on others. I think that most of us are able to see through such a message, but it highlights the vulnerability of those on a forum such as this. It's public, and people can pretend to be anything. With that come trolls and trouble-makers who don't respect the nature of this group. I take the exchanges on this forum very seriously, and I do resent interference from people who mock us or treat the forum as a source of adolescent entertainment. There is little that can be done about this except to say "Let the buyer beware".

Sometimes, the best ideas come out of chaos. Alternative thinking can produce benefits for people seeking the advice they need to deal with their problems. Allowing all view points is very beneficial. Young people who feel lost and confused can get advice from peers and adults whose experiences offer some kind of support. We've all been there, so we understand the value. It's rough to try to find any way to determine what advice is correct or potentially harmful for any individual looking for guidance. For the most part, this is a very responsible group. Most of us acknowledge that we are not doctors, nor psychiatrists, nor recovery program facilitators. We function as people who experience the troubles of ASD, and who have learned ways of coping. We speak each other's language while we address complicated problems. Keeping the flavor of this forum is important because it is helping people. For many of us it is the connection we sorely miss in our real worlds. I don't like it being ruined by charlatans. I value the good that comes from this forum and I've learned not to expect a perfect world.

If somebody says, "Eat healthy or a demon will eat your soul," they are right in the implication that you should eat healthy.

If somebody says, "Eat healthy or a demon will eat your soul," they are right in the implication that you should eat healthy.

As long as the demon doesn't use MSG in their soul recipe, of course.

I refrained from commenting, because I couldn't say anything nice.

I read through the rules here, and that was not only in there, but in bold text. So that's how I would say a thread like that should be handled.

I don't believe threads should be censored unless they're strictly against the rules. And then the thread should be locked with an explanation available to the OP. Don't ban right away, give the person a chance to do things right. It's a lot to take in for someone new to the forum.

I also did not see anything about vaccines in the rules. I've heard of this a time or two here. If it's off limits, it should be posted in the thread with the rest of the rules.

I'll just say this: all members here represent the community as a whole.

Nobody's obligated to play a certain role and it's not a tragedy if you can't change a mind that doesn't want to be changed. So you gave your input and someone wants to persist in their train of (flawed) thought anyways? Fine, let them do just that and go about whatever you were doing beforehand.

I also don't know what part of "don't feed the trolls" isn't clear enough (not implying anyone is a troll or the like), but some people just have to stick their hand in the cage to see what happens. I retired from troll handling a while back with the scars to prove it, so those of you who want to go against classic internet wisdom: best of luck to you!

Last thought: if someone spreads the word that they've been treated poorly here, how does that reflect on this forum? Sound familiar? I'm not innocent either as far as being unsavory goes (feel free to verify), but everyone here gets to make choices and reap the consequences and/or rewards that go with those choices. The only person I can change with any guarantee is myself, so I'll start there instead rather than putting all my energy and focus on someone else.

That's my loose change for now. Take it, leave it, do what you will.

Last edited:
ATTENTION MEMBERS THAT ARE NOT AUTISTIC:

THERE IS NO CURE FOR AUTISM AND THERE NEVER WILL BE. IT IS NOT AN ILLNESS LIKE THE FLU; IT IS A MENTAL DISABILITY THAT STAYS WITH YOU.

Somebody put this somewhere where everyone can see it.

New Threads

Top Bottom