• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stir crazy because I have the flu.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I am staying home from work currently, and I am very sick. I feel tons of resentment because I am very sick right now. Adding insult to injury, it also feels like every legitimate resentment I ever had in my life is being freshly remembered as I lie down on my couch today.

I am too sick to smoke weed, obviously. And NyQuil stopped knocking me out after I slept almost nonstop for 24 hours yesterday. So, I am feeling sorry for myself because this is damn miserable. I know it will pass eventually, but it still very much sucks in the present moment.

Sorry to hear you're unwell. Have you got medication that helps? I like lemsips when I have a cold, I haven't had flu for many years, but it was very draining I remember. Is watching TV any good or are you too poorly? You are right that it will pass, but take care of yourself well meanwhile.

I have codeine cough syrup and antibiotics because of bad respiratory symptoms. I am wondering how I am going to pay my bills this month because I am missing a lot of work over this. This is stressful for me.

I had a stomach virus or food poisoning or something a few days ago. I used "ocean sounds" on my Echo Dot to create a soothing ambient noise, and just tried to sleep as much as I could.

The point is, you're not the only sufferer, it's no fun having the flu, it sucks in fact, but eventually you will re-join the living. Try to keep from mulling over things to be resentful about, because I'm fairly sure that would just add to your misery.

Edit: P.S. keep drinking fluids, a lot more than you think you need to. I was getting dehydrated, as judged by the darker color of my urine. Drinking enough fluid will help you recover faster.

Hopefully you don't have the coronavirus, I think you live in Seattle where the local public health dept has admitted that corona is running wild. It's pointless to get tested due to the fact that they're refusing to test people to keep the numbers down. Dunno what to say, especially to somebody who has endured all the crap you have, best wishes seems hollow.

Hopefully you don't have the coronavirus, I think you live in Seattle where the local public health dept has admitted that corona is running wild. It's pointless to get tested due to the fact that they're refusing to test people to keep the numbers down. Dunno what to say, especially to somebody who has endured all the crap you have, best wishes seems hollow.

Confirmed it is just standard flu with secondary pneumonia symptoms. Not coronavirus, thankfully, but it still sucks.

I am sorta of relieved but l hope you kick it fast to get back to the grind. I quit my job to make a long move, maybe l shouldn't work until it hits our area and subsidies a bit. Not sure what to do,l need to stay healthy. Pot cookies? Your doctor called me- he says just stay calm, you will be back up again bringing it!!☺

Last edited:
Confirmed it is just standard flu with secondary pneumonia symptoms. Not coronavirus, thankfully, but it still sucks.

It does suck, I had the flu as well last winter. It's mostly that you don't feel like doing anything. Was never hungry, really lost my appetite. Lived on soup and oatmeal so I could function a little. Yet somehow nothing seemed the same for awhile. I hope you get better Kagamine, and start enjoying stuff again.

That sounds... exactly as bad as the coronavirus though.. the major complications of coronavirus that kill are pneumonia and kidney failure.
Flu with pneumonia complication is just as concerning imo...

Take extra special care of yourself!

Dealing with that whole feeling of "stir crazy" is difficult.

As a rule, I dont really get sick. Heck if I know why. But what I do get at times is debilitating pain. In the past I have had days where I could barely walk, if at all. Still remember the first time that hit, I ended up just on the floor for like 20 minutes before dragging myself up the stairs somehow to get to the phone. I tell ya, that was just the start of the fun.

And days like that, they mean I cant use my car (if I can barely walk, how can I use the pedals?). And being stuck in this house for too long, well.... not long before I go mad. I need to get out of the accursed house once per day even if it is just me going down to the gas station.

And you're right, it is really easy to mentally focus on negative things while you're in that sort of mental state. It's like the mind goes "Bah, this sucks.... JUST LIKE THAT THING OVER THERE, AND THAT OTHER THING, AND...." I dunno about you but I tend to have anger issues at times like that.

It could be worse though. Back when I was a kid I didnt have allergy meds, and I'm allergic to EVERYTHING. Allergies? Cold? Flu? It was impossible to tell and frankly it didnt really matter. I'd be a walking snot tornado in all 3 cases. And school doesnt let you off the hook just for allergies... I tell ya, being at home when that's happening is bad enough. Being stuck in bloody highschool classes with that going on... *shudder*.

Aaaaaanyway that's enough rambling out of me. I hope you feel better soon and are able to get out of the house and do stuff, work or otherwise!

One other piece of advice. Following a serious viral illness such as flu or viral pneumonia, and also following a heart attack or heart surgery, depression is statistically more likely to occur. If you can keep this in mind, you can perhaps view any depression in context, rather than allowing it to take you over.

Just as education helps new mothers recognize symptoms of postpartum depression and deal with it appropriately, remembering these mood effects of illness can help us recognize a symptom but not give in to it.

Hope this helps!

Well, I just woke up fifteen minutes ago to realize I was in bed in a massive puddle of sweat, and I am feeling a bit better. Not nearly good enough to go back to work, but slightly better. I still feel like hibernating until this is over, but I have been sleeping most of the last three days and my body is rebelling by insisting upon staying awake for a while now.

I hope you feel better soon. Thanks for not furthering the coronavirus mass hysteria. Yes, people still do get the flu, and it sucks.

I'm going through something this week too.
Started out with an inner ear infection last Friday and then Monday I suddenly started having
stomach sickness and pain in my right side. Food just runs through me.
I don't feel nausea, but, no appetite and intestinal spasms constantly.
It isn't the flu. The doctor doesn't know what it is. The painful area is in the liver he said.
He ordered an ultra sound today. I'm taking loperimide and an anticholinergic for the spasms.

I just try to sleep most of the day until maybe tomorrow the test will show something.
It might just be the antibiotics too. Don't know.
But, I am getting tired of just sleeping too. I want to do things, but, just don't feel well enough to
do them.

Rest, stay hydrated and eat a little. All you can do for now.

Seems like we're all falling apart here.

Not exactly in perfect condition myself. I'm not all "locked up" but still, everything hurts randomly. And I cant deal with the lack of moisture in the air. Should see what my hands look like right now, all desiccated and cracked (think papercuts, except they appear at random for no reason... I've had a couple of instances before where I'm playing a game or something and look down and the controller is all bloody just because). And that's WITH lotion and drinking water. I'm really not made for this accursed climate.

Just.... ugh.

So! Is anyone here NOT coming apart at the seams or on fire or something?

I'm going through something this week too.
Started out with an inner ear infection last Friday and then Monday I suddenly started having
stomach sickness and pain in my right side. Food just runs through me.
I don't feel nausea, but, no appetite and intestinal spasms constantly.
It isn't the flu. The doctor doesn't know what it is. The painful area is in the liver he said.
He ordered an ultra sound today. I'm taking loperimide and an anticholinergic for the spasms.

I just try to sleep most of the day until maybe tomorrow the test will show something.
It might just be the antibiotics too. Don't know.
But, I am getting tired of just sleeping too. I want to do things, but, just don't feel well enough to
do them.

Rest, stay hydrated and eat a little. All you can do for now.

I hope you feel better soon Susan. Antibiotics can wreak Havok on your system, hopefully that's the cause.

Seems like we're all falling apart here.

Not exactly in perfect condition myself. I'm not all "locked up" but still, everything hurts randomly. And I cant deal with the lack of moisture in the air. Should see what my hands look like right now, all desiccated and cracked (think papercuts, except they appear at random for no reason... I've had a couple of instances before where I'm playing a game or something and look down and the controller is all bloody just because). And that's WITH lotion and drinking water. I'm really not made for this accursed climate.

Just.... ugh.

So! Is anyone here NOT coming apart at the seams or on fire or something?

I just have a persistent backache, so that's normal. Schools are shut down and I continue working and watching my son. I'm worn down, but otherwise healthy.

Make sure whatever moisturizer you are using on your hands does not contain petroleum products because that will make your skin feel better for a while, but then dry out even further. You become dependent on them. For example Chapstick. You can have some of my humidity any day, I think it's the reason my back aches.

Last edited:
Not the flu, but I came down with a hefty cold about a week ago. Could have been worse, but I was proactive in taking care of it. It always sucks be it a cold or full blown flu, so I hear you on that.

Be sure to take good care of yourself for now. Get plenty of rest, fluids and what not and you should be good to go eventually.

@KagamineLen Hope you get to feeling better soon. Sounds like your fever broke (reasons for sweat), but it may return later. Watch those pneumonia symptoms. I hope the worst is over - I know how bad that worst can be.

I'm finally almost back to baseline myself, 2 wks after the first symptoms hit. Pretty sure it was the flu. There is a type A and a type B flu around. 'A' Is way worse. Secondary bronchitis, sinus infection and earache after a week. Antibiotic, ear drops, and still not 100%. But i have long been aware that being physically sick (for me) mimics serious depression. You know, lack of energy, sleeping a lot, not bothering to get dressed, not leaving the house, things in disarray, dishes piled in sink. Its a counterfeit for classic depression. I keep telling myself "Im sick, not depressed. Its ok to be sick." Well that helps my head some, but still, i usually wind up depressed AND sick, and then sick of being sick and depressed. This too shall pass!

New Threads

Top Bottom