• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Still new to this...

Wokndead

Hi all! As the title says, I'm still new to all this. I learned of my "aspie-ness" last August, when I finally looked up Asperger's to find out what it was all about. It was actually a friend of mine, who is also an aspie, who had told me over and over to look it up. And now I know why. the more I read up about it, the more it sounded like me. I took both of the available online tests (the AQ Test and the Aspie Quiz) and both pointed to me being an aspie. I never bothered with an official diagnosis, because there seems to be no point at this stage in my life. I've made it this far: 34 years old, wife and 5 kids, and a good steady job (FINALLY!). Since I'm no longer in school, there's really nothing an official dx would do for me. My AS is mild, so I can make it through life with only minor/moderate issues.

Since realizing that I have AS, I've become aware of behaviors and sensitivities that I had previously ignored, just thinking I was weird. I'm sensitive to light and sound. I walk on my toes whenever I'm not wearing shoes or slippers. I rock, sway, and have other stims (visual stims, like squinting or staring at glittery things, and various other physical stims, like "leg flapping" and finger drumming.) I like people, as a rule, but I don't really like being around them. I'm pretty quiet in social settings, until I've been drinking a bit. ;) I do enjoy being social at times, but I feel drained pretty quickly.

Music is a big obsession of mine, and has been since birth. It helps me concentrate at work, and blocks out unwanted distractions when I'm out grocery shopping (something I do only on Sundays, and one hour before closing, and always with my ipod.) Puzzles are another obsession. My mom tells me of how I used to amaze her with the way I would solve a Rubik's cube when I was a kid. Jigsaw puzzles are especially bad for me. If I start one, it's pretty much all I can think about until it's finished. Luckily, I finish them pretty quickly. :lol: I also try not to pick one up too often. ;) Computers are also a big one (hence my career choice), as are video games. You will completely lose me in front of a computer puzzle game.

I did well in school, academically, as long as it was within my special interests. I aced those classes, while barely skimming through with C's and D's in others. Some of my teachers wanted to put me in advanced classes, but I refused. Socially, however, I was teased quite a bit. I was one of those "nerdy" types, which was a bad thing back then. I didn't have many friends, and had no problems playing alone. I enjoyed reading, and I still do, but I never read story books as a kid. It was always encyclopedias and other informative things. I didn't get into story books until junior high, when I picked up my first Dean Koontz horror novel. Been hooked ever since.

I guess I'll stop there. This is supposed to be an introduction, after all, not my life story. :lol: I've been on other forums before, but this one seemed different, somehow, so I thought I'd join in. Thanks for having me!

New Threads

Top Bottom