• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Starting the path of diagnosis

Hi All

My young son has been identified as having certain traits and developmental issues that could be indicators of Aspergers. In researching his potential condition I have started to also question whether I may have a degree of Aspergers traits.

I hold down a senior IT job, have a great wife and family but have always struggled socially with:

-people who i do not know or have not bonded with. This process takes a Looong time

-hearing people talk in situations where other people are also talking

-zoning out of conversations

-eye contact although I'm getting better. It feels very awkward looking some people in the eye and is not a natural thing for me to
Do

-I suck at small talk

I have always put this down to being self conscious, and have worked hard over the years to try and work round and hide these issues.

I took the AQ test and got a score of 31.

My parents also reminded me of some of my issues growing up. I was convinced for a while that everyone was trying to poison me (as an example)

My question is what do I do next. I function well enough to be successful but wonder if a diagnosis and some guidance could help me get more out of life and work, and help my son if he does indeed have Aspergers.

Welcome :)

First of all, I hope that you can feel right at home here. You may find that our community may offer several relatable people.

In terms of whether you have it; it's possible, as it is a generally accepted belief that AS may in fact be genetic; though this is yet to be confirmed. If you are able to function in society with your AS, it isn't really necessary for a disgnoses, but some people feel that this may offer them some peace of mind.

What should you do now? You could opt for a diagnoses, or you can hang around here, and learn more about the spectrum. We are an excellent resource, so you should learn much here. Feel free to join in on our many discussions. I also recommend taking a look at our resources section (and look up a brilliant man named Dr.Tony Attwood too).

Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Home

Welcome aboard! Diagnosis, can help justify therapy and related help,
Educational accommodations if necessary, ADA act protections but otherwise, at least, in my experience, having a diagnosis only helped me understand myself better. Late diagnosis can have a disruptive effect, it's been a strange trip since my March diagnosis this year.
Best wishes to you

Greetings. I'm self-diagnosed currently. I'd like to get an official diagnosis just to have it on record in case I need any accommodations in the future for work and such. Otherwise, I don't think it would make a lot of difference. In your case, though, with a child having the diagnosis, it might be helpful for your son to know you have the same diagnosis and that you have been able to make a successful life for yourself and your family.

Thanks for the welcome and the thoughts. I think I will book an appointment with my GP next week to discuss diagnosis. I already feel better for knowing there may be a reason I am the way I am.

And that is an awesome picture Rocco. Like a door to space

Welcome, Gringosteve.

Vanilla and Cali Cat summed things up very well. Getting to know a friendly and helpful community could go a long way toward helping you self-diagnose. The resources here are priceless...much more current and insightful than older information one might find at many libraries, or even from some doctors. Getting a diagnosis for yourself in support of your son could be helpful to you both in numerous ways, but be prepared to make a strong case for testing if you go this route, so as not to be dismissed. That can happen, unfortunately.

You've made a great start by coming here. I hope you get what you need from AC, and more.

New Threads

Top Bottom