• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Star Wars Canon and legends

Which do you prefer?

• Canon

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Legends

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

SL JediKnight

So when Disney bought Star Wars the expanded universe novels comic books and video games that were published before Disney bought it became what you call Legends which means it's no longer Canon they did that so Disney can make room for their stuff but anyway which do you like better Canon or Legends

I'm divided on the issue. I read a lot of the stuff that became Legends. A lot of it was OK, some of it was quite good, some of it was pretty awful. When it was announced that Disney was canning the old EU I was pretty upset because I had invested already in numerous books (many in HB because I'm a book snob & love how HBs feel & look on my shelf!) as well as my time & effort to know the setting inside & out (as many on here would appreciate). But OTOH it did effectively purge the elements from the EU I thought were just stupid or poorly done (like the Yuushan Vong, Luke's evil clone Luuke, most of the Dark Horse early comics), but it also put into question the elements I did like, especially the KotoR era.

Still, elements are making it back into the official canon. Darth Bane exists, & IIRC the Solo movie canonized Exar Kun to a certain extent. Those plus the worldbuilding elements I miss from the EU are creeping back in. So it's not like Disney is completely unsympathetic to the old EU, especially if they cherrypick the best elements from it...

I don't care either way, I just watch the movies, unlike all those butt hurt Star Wars geeks on Facebook who hate Disney and spend their days complaining about the franchise.

For me it seems like an odd question over acknowledged fictional material. Compounded by the Hollywood system that deals with film and television as a commodity far more than an art.

Where input from fans is and will always be a very limited consideration. Simply not worth fretting about.

I don't think that is correct. Lucas's rules were that he allowed expanded universe (it had to meet some basic criteria) but it was definately not canon. He reserved the right to adopt something if he really liked it, but that almost never happened. Taking on Aayla Secura (because he liked the picture on the cover art) is the only exception I know of.

I haven't seen Disney's formal position.

New Threads

Top Bottom