• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Star Trek Fans

I like Trek. I have enjoyed watching all of TNG, DS9, Voyager, and the First season of Enterprise (it went south as the seasons went on, in my opinion). I have a collection of the old hallmark TNG Christmas tree ornaments.

My first exposure to Star Trek was a VHS copy of Star Trek Generations when I was four years old. There was a warmth to it that drew me in even though I didn't really understand why at the time. I remember being confused when I saw my dad watching the original Star Trek series around the same time not realizing that it was a franchise. I had a panic attack when I first saw a Ferengi in a TNG re-run. As I got older, I started watching the Star Trek films as well as Star Trek: Enterprise when it was in its quite compelling third season. Eventually, I started watching TNG and DS9 re-runs in my teenage years. I played the Star Trek Online MMO for a few years.

As for my current leanings on Star Trek as a whole:

• I find the original series to be cheesy but sometimes entertaining in a quaint way.
  • Out of the Kirk movies, I LOVE The Undiscovered Country. It's perfect.
  • TNG is bland but I appreciate the philosophy behind it. It makes me think.
  • The TNG movies are better than what most people seem to think. Generations was amazing and Whoopi Goldberg's performance is soothing.
  • DS9 is the best. Sisko is the best captain. The shades of grey (the uniforms and morality) are fascinating and the character development is incredible. It's a shame that it turned into a soap opera in some aspects in its later seasons.
  • I say no to Voyager. Even as a child, I was never interested in it.
  • ST:E is actually hilariously bad. There's a few good episodes here and there but, in hindsight, it didn't really work until the third season. The fourth season was hit and miss as well. Scott Bakula isn't a convincing captain. The best acting came from John Billingsley (Phlox) and surprisingly Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) before they had T'Pol go on that drug bender in Season 3.
  • JJTrek? Replacing the philosophy with CGI isn't very bold. Not a fan.
  • I haven't bothered with Discovery and probably will ignore the new Picard series as well.
  • STO is a crappy MMO but I kinda like what they did with the story. It's an interesting mix between fan service, tying up loose ends, and expanding upon existing canon.
My favorite characters are Barclay, Benjamin Sisko, the Doctor, Garak, Guinan, Phlox, Quark, and T'Pol.

EDIT: On a side note, I unironically love William Shatner's cover of Pulp's "Common People" because I feel that Shatner captures an anger and disgust that the original can't match.

I love Star Trek. I grew up with the original series on TV. But TNG was being screened when I was a kid. It was a big part of my childhood. I got to see First Contact in the cinema and that totally blew me away.

Enterprise remains one of my favourites as I like the time setting. I wasn't as keen on the captain compared to TNG. Although, since watching other ST series I've gone back and looked at Picard and found him to be less appealing as I've gotten older. The theme tune of Enterprise makes me furious though.

Voyager and DS9 are good. I tried Discovery but gave up after the 2nd episode. I'm not a big fan of the heavy reliance of CGI in modern films and TV shows and Discovery was unashamedly over the top with it's use of special effects. I might give it a go some other time.

Right now I'm waiting for the entire first season of Picard to be released before I watch it. I never watch 1 episode every week of release. I binge a season in a day. If it's over 10 episodes long then I'll get it finished in a weekend.

Ed

7777c083952e4f68ccdcf4d689731cbad15a4c0c32371c770eee1d53a352cb25.gif

I'm re-watching the episode 'Skin of Evil' from TNG. Riker says to Armus that we have injured crewmen, since 'where no man has gone before ...' got changed to 'where no one has gone before', I'm wondering why Riker instead of saying 'crewmen' didn't say crew personnel.

I was watching a YouTube clip of James Doohan recalling saving a suicidal woman ,oh for the days when everybody wrote letters

Was a fan way before it was popular. "Trekie" wasn't even a word yet. Saw each episode so many times that I could hear 5 seconds from any episode and describe the full story. Freaked out my friends. They called me Spock, which was the highest praise they could have given me.

Been a fan since I was a teenager, cannot believe how popular this has gotten over multiple generations and how much influence it has had in our community.

I'm a certified Trekkie. I've been collecting Trek autographs for about four years. Granted, I only have three currently: Brent Spiner, Jonathan Frakes, and William Shatner. Though I never quite know what to say when I meet a Trek actor, it's always a special experience. Spiner in particular was a total gentleman and very gracious with his time. I am hoping to get some Enterprise or Voyager autographs someday to balance out the collection.

I'm a certified Trekkie. I've been collecting Trek autographs for about four years. Granted, I only have three currently: Brent Spiner, Jonathan Frakes, and William Shatner. Though I never quite know what to say when I meet a Trek actor, it's always a special experience. Spiner in particular was a total gentleman and very gracious with his time. I am hoping to get some Enterprise or Voyager autographs someday to balance out the collection.
Had I ever met any of them in person, I would heartily thank them for not only entertaining so many, but endearing fictional characters to so many. Something not even the best actors are necessarily capable of.

Had I ever met any of them in person, I would heartily thank them for not only entertaining so many, but endearing fictional characters to so many. Something not even the best actors are necessarily capable of.

It sounds ridiculous, but meeting Trek actors feels nearly spiritual to me. I can barely put forward a "Hi" when actually faced with them though. It's incredibly intimidating. Thankfully, they're pros at creating conversation out of nowhere. It must be pretty cool for them to know they are part of something so important to so many people.

It sounds ridiculous, but meeting Trek actors feels nearly spiritual to me. I can barely put forward a "Hi" when actually faced with them though. It's incredibly intimidating. Thankfully, they're pros at creating conversation out of nowhere. It must be pretty cool for them to know they are part of something so important to so many people.
Nope. I totally get that. Good word use- spiritual.

Something I never had with Star Wars or any other form of entertainment, with one incredible exception- those four lads from Liverpool. John, Paul, George and Ringo. Ok, I'm now out of any entertainers on my personal pedestal. So sue me....;)

Wouldnt say I`m really a trekkie. But I have completely watch TOS, TNG, Voyager, Enterprise, Picard 2 or 3 seasons of discovery, and 2 seasons of strange new worlds. Plus all the movies.

New Threads

Top Bottom