• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

SSi and Aspergers

matt000333

Hi I have been denied 5 times for ssi and have a hearing coming up soon I have Aspergers and major depression and I live in Missouri I have yet to get offical testing for aspergers but have an appoinment but the wait list is long 9 to 12 months anyways any advice for me to help my case?

On the applications/daily activities sort of forms, be explicit.
Write about yourself so that the person reading gets a PICTURE,
not a generalized vague 'sense,' of what it means to be you, in
your life.

This sounds kind of dumb to say, since you have already applied
five times. I have been helping a neighbor with her social security
application for over a year. I have to remind her to not sabotage
herself. She thinks that if she is "ok" sitting on the couch, motionless,
that means she is "ok." Then she gets discouraged and confused
about what to say on papers that come from SS.

I remind her to say on the papers what she says to me. And to tell
doctors the same way, too, so they have a clear image of her
situation.

Hi I am going through the same thing I was denied 3 times for ssdi but my lawyer filed for a hearing also I was diagnosed last year at age 43 I have a fairly good work history but have difficulty working with others but they claim my condition is not severe enough hopefully I will finally get approved. I wish you luck in your situation. Todd

Do you have an attorney, Matt000333? I got rejected twice, but then I hired a lawyer and had a hearing and I was approved on my third time.

Get as many medical records as you can. Obviously, don't lie, but you need to give them a picture of how you are at your absolute worst. My lawyer did most of the talking, but the judge asked me questions like "Why can't you work janitorial positions?" and things like that, so be prepared.

Do you have an attorney, Matt000333? I got rejected twice, but then I hired a lawyer and had a hearing and I was approved on my third time.

Get as many medical records as you can. Obviously, don't lie, but you need to give them a picture of how you are at your absolute worst. My lawyer did most of the talking, but the judge asked me questions like "Why can't you work janitorial positions?" and things like that, so be prepared.
Yes I have a lawyer.

how much does a lawyer set you back? I've considered finding one for various problems but I have zero income to entice them with...

Well I just figured I would tell everyone I think my hearing went good the judge was nice and the voctional expert said I could do one job in my past work and three other jobs I have never done but the judge asked hypotheticals and voc expert said no to all of them that if that situation happened I could not work and no to my lawyers counter questions.

i hate being on it..... but when i got a lawyer all i had to do was fill out the standard paperwork and the lawyer did the rest. i never spoke to anybody. i just recently had a re-evaluation where i had to speak to someone but 1 time and the lawyer did it for me (well, 2-3 of me getting nowhere, then once for the lawyer)

and because somebody asked.. mine took like 50% of the retroactive amount.

basically.. the SSI people will always say you can work some job. and, in some way, yes they're correct.... if all these magical conditions are met you probably can do some job. but realistically, no employer would mee those conditions for you to be able to cope with the stress of working at that position. and as time goes on (i'm 31 now) employers will see you have no current work experience so the "best" job you'll (well, me..) end up with would be a minimum wage job. which would be fine, but they won't put up with having to do anything special so you can work there.. they'll just say "sorry we just hired somebody" and hire the next highschool kid who strolls in. i tried part time cashier work.... my psych wouldn't give me medication at that time... so i would take half a clonapin when walking into work (i took dads.. he had extra.. i've had them before, same MG, but every time they switch psychs on me they would stop my meds and waited about 6 months to start back up) and still before i could drive back home i sat in the car shaking and crying for about 10 minutes because i tried as hard as i could to not break down while in the store. but according to SSI.. i could still work.

sorry, bit of a rant there...... underlying unrelated issues forcing me to babble about anything else

My lawyer took 25%, which (at least in my state) is the legal maximum. In general, lawyers are horrendously expensive!

I have the same reservations with ChrisC1983. I haven't worked in six years, and I couldn't hold a job even back then so my experience is shoddy. It's depressing.

Matt, you said the hearing went well, but you didn't say for sure that you got it? I was told at my hearing, but I don't know if that's the norm.

I expected to be denied 3 times because that seems pretty typical.
Instead, SSI started Presumptive Payments before I was 'officially' approved.

What ChrisC1983 says: "... if all these magical conditions are met you probably can do some job. but realistically, no employer would meet those conditions..." seems true. I could work, if conditions were right for me. Instead, I am at home----where the conditions ARE right for me.

I did not have a lawyer. I applied to SS partly to quiet my cousin who insisted that because of my allergy/sensitivities I was
'disabled' and because I couldn't think of anything else to do. I figured there was no way I would be approved. I didn't like
the idea of being considered 'disabled. It feels 2nd class. At best...

Hi Tree,
I joined a while back but never wrote or chatted on here. I have recently been diagnosed with it. I worked hard and had a disability lawyer, but it stressed my physical limitations, reasons I can't work in an office computer desk job and with people / customer service anymore. I lost many jobs. I was diagnosed with Asperger's a year after the initial hearing. My appeal was denied and I am not quitting. I will have to see an doctor for an evaluation and focus on my emotional issues, Asperger's and social anxiety problems. Maybe my focusing on the Asperger's I will have better chance of approval. Open to your advice. Thanx.

Hi I have been denied 5 times for ssi and have a hearing coming up soon I have Aspergers and major depression and I live in Missouri I have yet to get offical testing for aspergers but have an appoinment but the wait list is long 9 to 12 months anyways any advice for me to help my case?

Hi Matt, I have denied, appealed and was denied again. That was before I was diagnosed with Asperger's. I had a lawyer in the past and don't know whether to ask them to take my case and focus solely on my new diagnosis. Did you pay out of pocket for a one time doctor evaluation and what did you have to do?? Thanks and I will not give up the fight. I did not try hard enough before and focused on social anxiety, OCD issues and my inability to work in offices with customers, phones and data entry as I did in the past. After years, I was denied. Thanks any advice.

Hi Tree,
I joined a while back but never wrote or chatted on here. I have recently been diagnosed with it. I worked hard and had a disability lawyer, but it stressed my physical limitations, reasons I can't work in an office computer desk job and with people / customer service anymore. I lost many jobs. I was diagnosed with Asperger's a year after the initial hearing. My appeal was denied and I am not quitting. I will have to see an doctor for an evaluation and focus on my emotional issues, Asperger's and social anxiety problems. Maybe my focusing on the Asperger's I will have better chance of approval. Open to your advice. Thanx.

What reasons did they give for denial?
Did they say what sort of employment they recommend?

"I will have to see an doctor for an evaluation and focus on my emotional issues, Asperger's and social anxiety problems.
Maybe my focusing on the Asperger's I will have better chance of approval. " If the first application and appeal didn't deal
with those issues, this seems like a useful approach now.

Describing the circumstance of each job loss also would be useful.
Specifically, not in general terms.

Any paperwork that SS gives you, fill out, in detail.
The details may require using additional pages, beyond those
few blanks the SS forms allow.

Carrying an outline with you to your doctor appointment is
a good idea.

Anytime you have to write or tell a person about your experience,
make the description as vivid as you can, so that the picture is
real in the other person's mind. Use words that show what it is to be
you.
:evergreen:

New Threads

Top Bottom