• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Spiders!! :D

Rudy Schmidt

Electric Child
Spiders are my latest obsession. I've always been afraid of bugs, and terrified of spiders, but somewhat interested in them.

Recently there was an infestation of large (several inches across) wolf spiders in my workplace. Coming into contact with them was unavoidable, so I decided to get over my fear. I did this by burying myself in facts about spiders, researching the local ones, looking at photos, etc.

It worked.

Now, as well as not being afraid of them, I've developed this enormous fascination with spiders and everything about them. I've learned that they're not nearly as dangerous as you think, and I've learned a lot about identifying webs (I learned a lot about black widows because we get those), and bunches of other facts. I find myself talking about them a lot, even to my poor arachnophobic wife. I caught an orb weaver spider indoors this week and spent a while looking closely at it inside the clear glass before releasing it outside.

Orb weavers are definitely my favourite spiders, but they all fascinate me endlessly.

EDIT: There's an orb weaver outside my workplace - a big orange one - that spins the biggest webs I've ever seen. One today was about six feet at its longest side, and was spun between three small trees, with herself sat right in the center.

My question - does anybody else here have this particular obsession?

Alternatively, does anybody have any personal experiences about spiders they'd be willing to share with me?

Some what scared of spiders and other time like them too. Focusing on the web with a camera is hard cause of the transparency. I seen web before on railroad tracks. I include a photo when I am home.

Here is the photo I was talking about. It might be hard to tell it a spider web with all the rain drops but it is.

IMG_3289.jpg

Thanks. I have videos and other things I captured that day. Some point in the future I share it online.

Did you know the daddy long legs spider has a venom that can kill a blue whale with a single bite? But the fangs are so small they can not bite anything larger than an insect. It is a rather nasty neuro toxin.

Apparently
My garage / paint area is a diverse spider habitat :eek:. I am not happy about this. They seem seem be everywhere.
Feel free to come collect a few hundred samples anytime you like :)
They bite a lot though. I have brown recluse, black widow, jumpy spiders, daddy long leggs, and multitudes of others tiny to terrifying.
I've only had one severe bite that required hospitalization, didn't hurt that much but the red vein growing up my arm was scary. :anguished:

I used to be terrified of spiders, couldn't see a picture of one or anything... Then I forced myself to look, watch and find their interesting points. Once you know how they move it becomes easier.

I keep them now as pets :p
ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1410253836.009847.jpg

I used to be terrified of spiders, couldn't see a picture of one or anything... Then I forced myself to look, watch and find their interesting points. Once you know how they move it becomes easier.

I keep them now as pets :p View attachment 12572
Ughjfgjjfhu heck no. Omg no. Spiders are terrifying. I don't think I'll ever get over that fear. Btw, that's a terrifying picture... D:

Ughjfgjjfhu heck no. Omg no. Spiders are terrifying. I don't think I'll ever get over that fear. Btw, that's a terrifying picture... D:

She's a pretty little Togo Starburst! Granted not the best spider to show to people wanting to get over a fear as they're pretty mean xD definitely avoid mean spiders if you want to get over your fear!

She's a pretty little Togo Starburst! Granted not the best spider to show to people wanting to get over a fear as they're pretty mean xD definitely avoid mean spiders if you want to get over your fear!
Can't it kill you? D:

Tarantulas cannot kill humans ^_^ their bites also cannot cause an allergic reaction! They're venomous but only in the way that it'll hurt for a bit (depending on the spider, P.'s will cause your muscles to cramp)

But really we don't handle them, so it's not a problem!

Tarantulas cannot kill humans ^_^ their bites also cannot cause an allergic reaction! They're venomous but only in the way that it'll hurt for a bit (depending on the spider, P.'s will cause your muscles to cramp)

But really we don't handle them, so it's not a problem!
I have a cousin who is a Tarantula whisperer. He just picks them up and holds them. Crazy boy lol

I let spiders live in my home...they kills a lot of nasty bugs and act like friends... I tolerate a bit of their webs inside as a tradeoff ;)

As a kid I liked insects and spiders. Used to collect the occasional spider egg sack, but the babies always escaped :) Actually, I liked praying mantises more than spiders.
Now I have a bit more fear of spiders, especially the poisonous varieties. I'd rather have geckos in my house than spiders.

New Threads

Top Bottom