• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Speech As Stim

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
Speech As Stim (Psychology Today Article)
Source:
Speech As Stim | Psychology Today

The other day, I felt strange phenomenon come over me. Suddenly, I felt a need to speak another language: Spanish. Experiences just like this are not at all unusual for me, but the reason for them might be surprising.

image.jpg
I have always liked language. I can remember my first exposure to a language other than English— in kindergarten. My teacher taught me a very simple phrase "Mi casa es su casa.” My house is your house. It stuck.

In the years since, language has remained the love of mine, and has carried me through a lot of difficult times. Berlitz books kept me company when, in the throes of severe social anxiety, I'd hide from my overzealous fifth grade teacher in a far corner of the schoolyard. I'd sit on the swings, the books on my lap, practicing unfamiliar phrases that delighted my tongue.

By the time I was in high school, language was a full-fledged special-interest. There are a lot of reasons for this, but there's one that I've only just begun to realize. Sometimes, for me, language is a form of self-stimulatory behavior.

What is that? As fellow autistic adult Ben Forshaw defines it, “It is a repetitive action that stimulates —provides—sensory input.” That sensory input serves as, “a form of negative feedback that allows me to regulate my senses. Negative in the sense that it modulates other sensory input and makes it easier for me to process: the input might be sound, touch — even emotion, which as I’ve described before has a large component of physical sensation.”

For Gavin Bollard, another adult on the spectrum stimming “allows you to concentrate on sensitivity and relax the thinking parts of the brain. In an Aspie, being able to stop thinking, even for a short while, is bliss.” For me, reasons for stimming can be complex and I don't always know why I do it, or when I do it.

When I go back and look at my growing up years, it sometimes hard to find examples of stimming in the traditional sense. While commonly known stims such as rocking could be observed in many of my family members, for me it took less obvious forms. I don't know if that has anything to do with gender or just my specific neurology.

One particular form that stimming took for me was in mimicry, noisemaking and speech-like sounds—what Gavin refers to as “vocal stims.” I was fascinated by the way my voice could be made to sound so many different ways, and how different sounds generated different tactile feelings in my lips, mouth and tongue. I remember, for example spending hours in my backyard singing variations of the tune, “You Are My Sunshine”—replacing the first letter of each word with a particular letter of the alphabet.

As I slowly progressed through the alphabet, I would marvel how each change would change the way the song sounded to my ears, and how it felt to say. When it got two letters like “X” and “Z,” I’d get caught up in the vibrations pronouncing the words created. And, of course I got a bit of childish amusement from variations that resulted in words that were borderline naughty. Singing “Boo Bar By Bunshine” sent me into paroxysms of laughter.

Every bit of my environment seem to require in me a reaction. If we got on the elevator, I'd feel prompted to mimic its bell. If the neighborhood dog barked at me, I felt compelled to bark right back. And after living on a boat, I learned to call ducks with my mimicry of their “language”—a skill that benefited me socially more than you would think. I was the Dr. Dolittle of the first and second grade.

But the stim that sneaks up on me—but I didn't really think about as much—is the compulsion to repeat certain familiar words, phrases, and performances. It dovetailed a bit into my later interest in theater. But it began for me early, with my father's special interest in music.

Other kids would often get into Disney storybook records and the like, and I had a few of those…but for me, their appeal quickly paled. What did I need with them when I had my father’s concept albums? He'd bring them home and play them for me, acting out the stories as we went. The earliest one that I remember in the one that's stuck with me since, is the second side of the Small Faces album, “Ogden's Nut Gone Flake.”

The story, entitled “Happiness Stan,” is the story of a man who notices that half of the moon has disappeared and goes in search of it. A goofy little story, but one that managed to touch a couple of themes that resonated with the younger me—making sense of the phenomena of the world, being an outcast in the world that judges you as “not quite right,”and the simple pleasures of simply “twisting for awhile.”

But what made it fascinating to me was the fact that the story was not delivered in any English that was familiar to me, but rather what came to be known as “Unwinese”—courtesy of British comedian Stanley Unwin. Unwin was known for his particular brand of playfully corrupted speech, which feels to me at times almost to be Shakespearean. It was irresistible to me, and to some degree still is. Others find it near incomprehensible.

Nonetheless to this day, especially on a stressful day, I can often find repeating the story under my breath, Unwinese and all. And on very, very stressful days—there’s nothing that calms me more than just turning it on and spinning. Like many stims, it may be incomprehensible to others, but it's one of very few things that will calm the stress neurological system. It serves a purpose.

It's one of many strings of language or environmental sounds that I can find myself repeating—and I pick up new ones as time goes on. Ken Burns’ discovery of the Sullivan Ballou letter as part of his research for the Civil War series gave me a new one, and the various trabalenguastaught to me in Spanish classes make their appearances to. Nearly anything can be a source for a verbal stim.

We tend to look at repetitive speech is something slightly different than what is typically seen as a stim, but when you look at Forshaw’s description—for me speech sure fills the bill. The word “nada” feels physically very different to say than the word “nothing.” And how something feels to say is frequently what drives me to say it.

Fortunately for me, the words that feel good are frequently nonoffensive words. What is it like for people with a speech compulsion for whom that isn't the truth? How many people on the spectrum, especially kids, are caught by this phenomenon I wonder, and how does it affect them? And I also wonder how common it is…it's an aspect of the experience on the spectrum which is little talked about.

What I do know is that as odd as this particular brand of stim may be to some, it's given me a lot of comfort over the years. So, I'll share a little of it with you, with a little bit of legos, too. And, I’ll ask you—what’s your stim?

Wow, what an amazing post Vanilla. It's taken me some time to process, and I read through the links you provided too.

I repeat certain phrases to myself over and over. Some are just words that catch my attention, or that I like the sound of. I once watched a cartoon and it had a phrase in it when a character was caught by surprise. I found myself saying that for the next five years or so, every time I got in the shower when it was too hot or too cold. For some reason it was only ever related to the shower, not any other kind of surprise.

I also like to repeat foreign language words. I find Finnish particularly soothing. In fact, last time I had to fly, I listened to a Finnish language story and repeated the words out of it through most of the flight, even though it was far more advanced than my level so I hardly understood any of it.

When I'm stressed I also repeat nonsense phrases (made up words) quietly.

Certain phrases in movies or books just resonate with me, and I will read or repeat them over and over again. I have a book where I write those down, because once something has resonated like that, I need to hang on to it. Once my husband took a book back to the library before I had copied down a sentence I wanted. I had to order the book again, as I couldn't rest until I had it.

Thank you for posting, it is interesting to hear from someone who seems to experience some similar verbal stims to me, although I had never thought of them as that before.

Sometimes I regret introducing my son to Dr Suess.
"There's a wocket in my pocket, and a urtain behind the curtain. There's a wocket in my pocket, and a ...."
Arghhhhhhh!

Q: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood ?

A: If a woodchuck could chuck wood, it would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck !

Wow, what an amazing post Vanilla. It's taken me some time to process, and I read through the links you provided too.

I repeat certain phrases to myself over and over. Some are just words that catch my attention, or that I like the sound of. I once watched a cartoon and it had a phrase in it when a character was caught by surprise. I found myself saying that for the next five years or so, every time I got in the shower when it was too hot or too cold. For some reason it was only ever related to the shower, not any other kind of surprise.

I also like to repeat foreign language words. I find Finnish particularly soothing. In fact, last time I had to fly, I listened to a Finnish language story and repeated the words out of it through most of the flight, even though it was far more advanced than my level so I hardly understood any of it.

When I'm stressed I also repeat nonsense phrases (made up words) quietly.

Certain phrases in movies or books just resonate with me, and I will read or repeat them over and over again. I have a book where I write those down, because once something has resonated like that, I need to hang on to it. Once my husband took a book back to the library before I had copied down a sentence I wanted. I had to order the book again, as I couldn't rest until I had it.

Thank you for posting, it is interesting to hear from someone who seems to experience some similar verbal stims to me, although I had never thought of them as that before.
I'm glad you found it helpful; though it's an article I found interesting, and had to share; I didn't write it myself. In saying that, I can relate to making up sounds too :p

Very awesome. I like your stim! It is incredibly hard not to respond to animals calls, it feels downright impolite even. I even taught a few of my pets a variation of their sounds I couldn't imitate but that they could still understand the same message of. Although I'm much more embarrassed by non-human conversations now, I don't even talk about them to my family these days and they were pretty accepting of it when I was doing it. :oops: It's just a very happy memory that I probably won't get to indulge in again unless there are no humans around. Animal movements and their sounds have provided great comfort to me over the years, and thankfully I have stopped walking like a bird, although the most bizarre mimicry yet was one time I stepped on a bee and whinnied. Horses are not really a part of my vocalizings, I usually yip or hiss. Especially when hot grease is involved when I'm cooking, I hiss at the skillet pretty regularly and it hisses right back. When I'm getting pretty stressed, my husband has caught me growling at him or whoever is pushing my buttons. Some things are just subconscious by this point, I guess.

My main language love is German, I love how growly it is. I'm developing an interest in learning some Spanish since there has been a massive influx from Central and South America to our city in the last decade and we often have "Latino Town" neighborhoods. I'm mostly enjoying all the new ethnic foods I've never seen before at the grocery store, for I am a glutton and as a glutton I must enjoy them. And I get easily distracted reading all the shops and labels and stuff, I think I'm slowly learning them. One of my main passions are accents, not just in how the words sound, but also how the choice of words change.

I'm still figuring out my unconventional stims. I don't really rock, spin, jump, or flap like most stimmers, but I had a great adoration for our swingset when the majority of my autism hit me like a ton of bricks. I wore the chains in two on many occasions and I got pretty good at landing on my feet. If it broke up high. If it broke close the ground I got to land on my butt pretty hard.

I have conversations and jokes with myself, which I repeat over and over; the more anxious or burned out I am, the longer this goes on for.. 5-6 hours sometimes. I guess there is an element of like/comfort in the repetition, although my main stim is rocking, I just never thought of it that way before, it was just a shameful thing to hide from the world.
Interesting addition to my list of weirdness :p

New Threads

Top Bottom