• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Something that had completed my week.

Dillon

i had something that had happened this week which is actually better than getting to know I’ll be doing shark research. I gotten involved last semester in a church group on campus called Coastal College where we just learn and follow Jesus and also have some fun. I came in late when it was near the end of last semester but this semester I’ve gotten more attached to it and gotten to know quite a few people. We usually have worship for an hour and we break up into what is called our family groups (consisting of 12 or less students out of 136 that are currently attending).

Now let me get to the point. When we went to our family groups, which these are people I’m good friends with, we were discussing our life story only if we wanted to share. Only a couple people their story one talking but when there was a moment of scilence I decided to speak up. I first talked about the people I live with a mom, a sister who just started college and a brother who has severe autism and just talking about them. I go on by saying that how our life wasn’t that easy from living with an abusive alcoholic father who was verbally abusive. and always hated me because I had a disability

Before I said anything else I choked up a little and started explained what Aspergers was and describing what it was like to be bullied and having no friends in middle school and part of high school and not feeling accepted . In the middle of it I lost my train of thought and started crying. I had a guy come up from his seat and gave me a hug which was unexpected and some other were tearing up and also gave me hugs Being told by one of my friends that day that I was brave enough to say that was something he could never do. They just think it’s so awesome of the things I’m doing such as shark research and telling me I should not let a problem define who I am. I can’t descibe the feeling that day. I’ve never had anyone who was so accepting of me my whole life besides my family until I started A&M (even though it was rough last year it’s getting better)

Like someone said in our worship message that day “don’t let your past affect of who you are today, make that pain turn it into something great” and that’s what’s been happening these past few months which is amazing.

Great message! I used to be in a small group at my church, but recently have been having trouble finding one that meets at a time I can make it, or isn't too far from home either... It's a small church so options are a little limited...

That's why I like the smaller churches. We're taught to love and how can that be accomplished somewhere that there are so many people you can never get to know one.

New Threads

Top Bottom