• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Confidence

Elem

I am looking to learn how many of you have experienced confidence issues with your social skills.

Specifically, I would like to learn what problems and challenges you have related to your issues with confidence.

What remedies you have tried?

What has worked for you and what hasn't worked?

What you have found the most frustrating?

Where you currently are with your confidence?

And what type of support you have received so far?

Thanks in advance.

I use the "fake it until you make it" method. Some stuff I won't put myself through though, like boozy parties, noisy restaurants, social interaction with people that stress me out.

But for work, and everyday interaction, I've worked on standing tall, looking at people, picking up conversational skills. Not all at once, that would be exhausting and worthy of a meltdown!

Little by little: My mother used to say "Walk as if you are wearing a Crown", and I still think of that imaginary crown I'm wearing when walking.

I set baby step goals and work towards them: Look at people when talking to them. I start by looking at their chest - after a while (weeks/months of practice), I'm comfortable enough to move up to looking at their neck, then the chin, etc, until I can look at them eye level. Still can't look anyone IN the eyes, but I think just looking at them full face, eye-level, nobody knows any different.

Watched TV shows and play-roled interactions to teach myself normal intonation, conversation rhythms, timing etc. Still struggle a lot with that, but most people wouldn't pick up that I'm autistic.

New Threads

Top Bottom