• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Accelerator

The One Who Wields the Power of God
I would imagine that death isn't a lovely prospect for many people, and I'm very much inclined to agree. The fact that this thread even exists points to that.
Now I've been an avid follower of CGP Grey and Kurzgesagt (the former led me to the latter), and as of recently they've posted a series of 3 videos about aging, what causes it, how we can stop or even reverse it, and why we should care about it. This topic has been something in the back of my mind since I first learned the concept of death and old age, and now they've given me something to start with, something that might just be what I was looking for: a possible path to biological immortality in my lifetime, hopefully soon enough to use it for myself and the other people I actually care about too.
If you've watched the videos the biggest issue is obvious: we can't do much about it if it doesn't get funded. I'm not quite sure where to go if I were to help fund it, though it does get mentioned in at least one of the videos, so check the Youtube videos and their descriptions if you want to find where to fund the research.
Now a reflex of mine would be to immediately dismiss it as fantasy; that people won't fund it and that the mega-corporations that run much of the world (not really sure where I came up with this, I suppose all that John Oliver has taught me that if things are weirder than they need to be then people are probably making money off it) would ignore it, or even block funding or restrict it to the very rich, but I'm fighting the impulse because there has to be just one thing I can hope about without getting all pessimistic about it.
Now, I'll admit I'm a little morbidly curious about anyone's thoughts about this. If you'd care to post at all, it would be very much appreciated.

Videos here:

Edit: Fixed the positions of the videos, didn't think it'd be the actual video.

I just turn to the bible to find out why we die and grow old.

That is all I will say, but you can imbox me in you want to know more, because I do not wish to go against rules and preach.

I just turn to the bible to find out why we die and grow old.

That is all I will say, but you can imbox me in you want to know more, because I do not wish to go against rules and preach.
Well, as a student in a school dedicated to the sciences aiming to become a scientist, I must point out that there is solid research on the topic of aging and why we die of it, but I imagine that you wouldn't appreciate it either, so I propose we agree to disagree. Thank you for your time however.

Perhaps, going against the grain of history, we could consider the moral/ethical implications of biologically "immortality" BEFORE we set about doing it?

But let us, for a moment, consider that this technology/medicine, would extend human life to 200 years or 300. How does that change human population dynamics, generational changes, pace of living, resource consumption, emotional/mental health, etc.

I would also suggest reading the science fiction shorts that consider this topic on an individual basis, or at least a viewing of the Twilight Zone episodes.

Perhaps, going against the grain of history, we could consider the moral/ethical implications of biologically "immortality" BEFORE we set about doing it?

But let us, for a moment, consider that this technology/medicine, would extend human life to 200 years or 300. How does that change human population dynamics, generational changes, pace of living, resource consumption, emotional/mental health, etc.

I would also suggest reading the science fiction shorts that consider this topic on an individual basis, or at least a viewing of the Twilight Zone episodes.

Elon Musk, Bezos are investing. Amortality not immortality.

Meaning a significantly lengthened length of life. And imagine them living to 200 flying up and down in their hyperloops with their condos on the moon.

Mou~, having to formulate replies to all your posts is taxing and taking a while; dealing with the unexpected traffic is tiring. Time to make replies please? I dunno...

Oh, and hello again Streetwise.

Elon Musk, Bezos are investing. Amortality not immortality.

Meaning a significantly lengthened length of life. And imagine them living to 200 flying up and down in their hyperloops with their condos on the moon.

Well, I would first like to point out that in the time that it would take to develop and make available the means to this "forever middle-agedness" (because that seems most likely in the near future), technology in other fields will also have developed past their current states (optimistically, and realistically), so maybe by then robots will have completed their takeover of the workforce, leaving humans to do whatever, because they're obsolete (See CGP Grey's "Humans Need Not Apply" video). Now hopefully by then money is meaningless, or at least optional to living a full life, so even the "poorest" can live in higher standards than most people today; we get more for less, and technology will continue on this trend as long as Moore's Law holds true, even if it's just until we develop the medical technology to be biologically immortal.
Now, if you're concerned about overpopulation, that's mainly happening in developing countries where they're still transitioning into the 4th stage of demographic transition, much like how the 1st world countries before them did (See the video below), so in time they will also slow down population growth-wise (also, in all likelihood given that the current plausible method of extending life would be through 3 processes meant to complement each other needs infrastructure such as hospitals, healthcare and etc. that comes with a developed or 1st world country like say... Germany or France or Canada, so by then the people will likely be better educated, and apparently that correlates with lower birth rates according some studies I can't quite remember).
Now if by generational changes you mean how parents feel and interact about their kids and their generation and vice versa, and how grandparents feel and interact with their grandkids and their generation and vice versa, and so on and so forth, I would imagine that that would be far less of an evil than having those parents and grandparents die of their body breaking down due to physics (refer to the 2nd video in my original post). Besides, we're already going through a similar problem today due to older generations not being on level with the kids (often due to problems related to their age and the diseases and problems caused by it), so I think that eventually having everyone look and be able to act the way they always did would do wonders for relations between generations, as both the older generations and the current adult generation would be facing similar problems and experiences, and ergo, a point of commonality.
As for emotional and mental health, I would think that if their long lives a cause for distress, then it'd probably be a common thing to go to counseling for, so by then I'd hope that we'll have prepared for that. I also imagine that if it truly were too much or if they were content to die already, then euthanasia would likely be an option for them.
Now, "pace of living" sounds a little vague, but I would imagine that with more time on our hands, we'd be free to take our time in things, maybe not stress so much over them (like requirements, god, requirements, why~?), pursue our interests and discover new ones, and spend more time with family and friends. I imagine that those things in particular are what many people (including myself), hope to gain from it.

The video:

I'm a Christian so like Suzanne what I would quote from would be the bible .
Hi Streetwise. Now much like my reply to Suzanne I would propose that we agree to disagree. Unless you'd like to talk about this some more, in which case I would be perfectly willing. Thank you for your time regardless of your choice.

So, if people didn't die of old age, there'd be no problem
with losing teeth? That's the awkward situation in the old
fairy tale: somebody traps Death, Death can't do his job,
and people discover that while they do continue to live,
regeneration isn't part of that, so they just become older
and older....losing strength, eyesight, and teeth.

Finally Death is released from captivity and people are saved.

Well, that story is just a story, and one from the ancient Greeks, so I doubt that their knowledge on the processes behind aging is better than our modern understanding (given that whole business with the 4 humors, though in this story it's actually basically describing what happens when people continue to live with no treatment nor medicine). Also, "death by old age" is really "Death by the breakdown in our body's ability to repair and replace the cells that make up critical organs." It's all physics apparently.

PS: I will admit that I'm a little light in the head so my reply might not make sense to me later.

Well, I would first like to point out that in the time that it would take to develop and make available the means to this "forever middle-agedness" (because that seems most likely in the near future), technology in other fields will also have developed past their current states (optimistically, and realistically), so maybe by then robots will have completed their takeover of the workforce, leaving humans to do whatever, because they're obsolete (See CGP Grey's "Humans Need Not Apply" video). Now hopefully by then money is meaningless, or at least optional to living a full life, so even the "poorest" can live in higher standards than most people today; we get more for less, and technology will continue on this trend as long as Moore's Law holds true, even if it's just until we develop the medical technology to be biologically immortal.
Now, if you're concerned about overpopulation, that's mainly happening in developing countries where they're still transitioning into the 4th stage of demographic transition, much like how the 1st world countries before them did (See the video below), so in time they will also slow down population growth-wise (also, in all likelihood given that the current plausible method of extending life would be through 3 processes meant to complement each other needs infrastructure such as hospitals, healthcare and etc. that comes with a developed or 1st world country like say... Germany or France or Canada, so by then the people will likely be better educated, and apparently that correlates with lower birth rates according some studies I can't quite remember).
Now if by generational changes you mean how parents feel and interact about their kids and their generation and vice versa, and how grandparents feel and interact with their grandkids and their generation and vice versa, and so on and so forth, I would imagine that that would be far less of an evil than having those parents and grandparents die of their body breaking down due to physics (refer to the 2nd video in my original post). Besides, we're already going through a similar problem today due to older generations not being on level with the kids (often due to problems related to their age and the diseases and problems caused by it), so I think that eventually having everyone look and be able to act the way they always did would do wonders for relations between generations, as both the older generations and the current adult generation would be facing similar problems and experiences, and ergo, a point of commonality.
As for emotional and mental health, I would think that if their long lives a cause for distress, then it'd probably be a common thing to go to counseling for, so by then I'd hope that we'll have prepared for that. I also imagine that if it truly were too much or if they were content to die already, then euthanasia would likely be an option for them.
Now, "pace of living" sounds a little vague, but I would imagine that with more time on our hands, we'd be free to take our time in things, maybe not stress so much over them (like requirements, god, requirements, why~?), pursue our interests and discover new ones, and spend more time with family and friends. I imagine that those things in particular are what many people (including myself), hope to gain from it.

The video:

Great reply, have to get back to you in the larger content.

Its hard to imagine the world without money, as it is the means that the average joes wealth is transferred to the rich, in myriad ways.

If you can monetise something then you own the something.

The immortal midas.....

Gets hungry.

Im more with aragorn

The immortal midas.....

Gets hungry.

Im more with aragorn
I'm sorry, I can't quite make sense of this post. Would you care to eloborate please? It's been a while since I saw the movies (never read the books, watched the movies while I was younger than 10, also can't remember when I ever watched it, but I did), so I can't remember what happened to Aragorn. Also, if I remember correctly, Midas gets cured of his golden touch at some point in some text, can't remember where though.

We lost my Mum's Mother last September, the official reason for her death was that she died of old age even though she had Alzheimer's, the poor woman was only just turned 97, I wanted her to live at least another 3 years to get a letter off the Queen at 100.

I've also decided that if I ever get a Daughter I want to call her Alice now, after both my Grans.

Foxes, spruce trees, and salmon all age and transition from their current forms, as do we, is my thinking.

To me, the more valued task would be to gradually develop, learn, and grow one’s inner strength and understanding....
So that old age is seen as a gift of inner strength, solidity, increased skills, and understanding of our interconnectedness with all life.

Perhaps when young, many of us are inclined to think that we are only this body. We may wish to somehow defeat old age and death. When we are older, perhaps we can better perceive our interconnectedness, and embrace the natural gifts within our life cycle before we transition.

We lost my Mum's Mother last September, the official reason for her death was that she died of old age even though she had Alzheimer's, the poor woman was only just turned 97, I wanted her to live at least another 3 years to get a letter off the Queen at 100.

I've also decided that if I ever get a Daughter I want to call her Alice now, after both my Grans.
My condolences. Though there is hope that perhaps, in the future that daughter of yours may live long enough to never have to suffer Alzheimer's as her namesake did (assuming that you do eventually have her, and that medical technology advances far enough).

Foxes, spruce trees, and salmon all age and transition from their current forms, as do we, is my thinking.

To me, the more valued task would be to gradually develop, learn, and grow one’s inner strength and understanding....
So that old age is seen as a gift of inner strength, solidity, increased skills, and understanding of our interconnectedness with all life.

Perhaps when young, many of us are inclined to think that we are only this body. We may wish to somehow defeat old age and death. When we are older, perhaps we can better perceive our interconnectedness, and embrace the natural gifts within our life cycle before we transition.
But one can also argue that one can have the wisdom that comes with age and experience, as well as embrace their interconnection with the rest of humanity while having the body of a person younger than their years; it's all a choice really. I'm also curious as to what you mean by "transition," do you mean dying?

Also, if you did mean death, then euthanasia when they finally decide their time is over would likely be an option.

Great reply, have to get back to you in the larger content.

Its hard to imagine the world without money, as it is the means that the average joes wealth is transferred to the rich, in myriad ways.

If you can monetise something then you own the something.
Thanks for the compliment.

Now, with regards to having a hard time imagining a world without money, I'm of the belief that people will have to discuss this sooner or later; the world is becoming more and more automated, so the demand for human labor is decreasing, with new jobs not being made fast enough and in enough quantities to employ the people who lost their old jobs, or the younger "millenials"(because I've never been able to make sense of that term) who are looking for them. Humans will, eventually, got the way of the horse; unemployed through no fault of their own (See CGP Grey's "Humans Need Not Apply" video, I'll post a link below). Now, I'll admit that the transition period will be the most dangerous, as those in power and those looking to profit will likely stubbornly stick to the past and deny the rest of the people access to these products, but that only means that the government and the citizens under it need to have proper discussion about it; it's something we need to need to prepare and educate ourselves about, something to take action about to mitigate the potential damage and exploitation when it finally happens. In America (based on what I've seen from John Oliver), many things that would be simple are otherwise made ridiculous all in the "nonprofit"(because some are actually just hiding under the label of"nonprofit") and "for-profit" companies efforts to make a buck. Their lobbying powers are a clear sign of this.
Marx's criticism of capitalism comes to mind readily; I don't believe capitalism will be sustainable in the near future, where only a handful will be able to afford the things we (or rather, the machines and their owners) produce so much. Rather, the transition to socialism in the face of ever cheaper and more available resources and products will be paramount to allowing the citizens life in a world where their labor is no longer needed.

The video:

New Threads

Top Bottom