• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It seems to me, Accelerator, that you are equating old age with suffering and death. Newsflash: Doesn't always occur! My dad is 93 years young and could probably out hike most people; his doc tells him he has a heart of a 60-year-old. Yes, he is slowing down but uses the "downtime" exercising his incredible mind with reading, Scrabble and other activities that stimulate his brain. I am 61 years old and life has never been better; my kids are grown (and doing well), I have a grandson and plenty of time to do what I enjoy. I have never been at a better place in life, and believe me, I've been down some pretty dark roads. As for not wanting people to not have the advantage of this fountain of youth that has yet to be found; of course not, I would take advantage myself for the physical benefits---I'm not totally nuts! But I don't think it's going to happen in my lifetime and if it happens in yours most likely it will be only for the rich and powerful who will be living on the moon for the earth will no longer be as it once was if things continue going the way they are going now.
As for "the random suffering that happens for no reason" I, of course, cannot answer but can only say maybe there is a reason. Yes, I grapple with that one too and it seems so unfair and brutal that suffering exists that could be irradicated if only society would put it's priorities straight, id est, stop wars and use all that money and man/woman power to help those in need! But realistically that is not going to happen.
I'm not necessarily "equating old age with suffering and death"; of course they're not always the case. I'm just pointing out that at this point in time the number of people who do manage to live their lives healthy enough (or got lucky with the genetic lottery, because after the period of reproduction there's a shadow cast that means that while natural selection may influence up until then, it doesn't optimize or select for anything past reproduction) to live as happy as you do now isn't quite so high. Often they get hit by diseases because their body inevitably breaks down (and often genetics plays a role in healthspans. Not to say that lifestyle doesn't play a part, but even the healthiest of people at this point in time can't control their genes, or at least, not yet) as they age; basically, I'm saying that it might not be the case for you right now (because who knows about the future, but hopefully it all goes alright), but a majority of people in their older years spend a lot of money and time on medications and treatments for things like atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease, cancer, arthritis, cataracts, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and Alzheimer's disease. The incidence of all of these diseases increases rapidly with aging, and increases exponentially with age, in the case of cancer (found this off the Wikipedia page for age related diseases).
Also, nice to know you're fine with rejuvenation (as confusing as that might be given that you just said you were against, and I quote, "science interfering"), but I think this article (here: Anxieties over Individual and Societal Stasis are a Displacement Activity) has something that may alleviate your concerns over a rich and powerful elite.
Now, the random suffering that happens for no reason can be attributed to a combination of many factors, and yes much of it wouldn't be a problem if people just got along and weren't such pricks, but that's a problem that can only be addressed if our leaders thought it was a problem worth taking (many do, but often politics comes into play and they change to stay in power). The people can make that change, but it's a bit of a numbers game that also involves politics, so it's quite the complicated problem (too change from the inside; if someone with a huge amount of power decides "hey, let's change all this," then this would be much, much easier, but many in power still want to keep that power, and unless helping people has an incentive then they likely won't do it). It's all frustrating to me too.

I always pondered why this physical mortal life had to be to begin with. Birth, decay, death.
But we're in it like it or not so why not enjoy it to the fullest while here.
It's like saying you must eat hamburger when you can have steak. Of course that is a matter of taste.
But why would being healthy and feeling good physically not be wanted during your stay in the form of body?

I don't think I will see it in my life either, but, I see advances in health happening more and more as time goes on.
I do believe we will see bionic integration, cellular regeneration, and long lives without cell breakdowns.
Selective genetic breeding and freedom of choice when euthanasia is desired.
There is so much study and work in these areas now
for it not to happen.
Science on.

And I'd imagine that it'd be perfectly fine to request euthanasia at your own pace. I also hear that it's quite painless.
professional euthanasia is painless by design. but hard for most americans to obtain, so they must resort to more painful methods.

professional euthanasia is painless by design. but hard for most americans to obtain, so they must resort to more painful methods.
That's often because policy hasn't changed to make it easier, often denying it entirely. I'd imagine in a future where people live as long and healthy as they want to it'd be a situation that would warrant a change in policy.

It seems to me, Accelerator, that you are equating old age with suffering and death. Newsflash: Doesn't always occur! My dad is 93 years young and could probably out hike most people; his doc tells him he has a heart of a 60-year-old. Yes, he is slowing down but uses the "downtime" exercising his incredible mind with reading, Scrabble and other activities that stimulate his brain. I am 61 years old and life has never been better; my kids are grown (and doing well), I have a grandson and plenty of time to do what I enjoy. I have never been at a better place in life, and believe me, I've been down some pretty dark roads. As for not wanting people to not have the advantage of this fountain of youth that has yet to be found; of course not, I would take advantage myself for the physical benefits---I'm not totally nuts! But I don't think it's going to happen in my lifetime and if it happens in yours most likely it will be only for the rich and powerful who will be living on the moon for the earth will no longer be as it once was if things continue going the way they are going now.
As for "the random suffering that happens for no reason" I, of course, cannot answer but can only say maybe there is a reason. Yes, I grapple with that one too and it seems so unfair and brutal that suffering exists that could be irradicated if only society would put it's priorities straight, id est, stop wars and use all that money and man/woman power to help those in need! But realistically that is not going to happen.
Wwj
What's all thos got to do with asper9?
I am neither Christian or Jewish, however, the Bible does contain much beauty and wisdom. The crap is mostly due to how people have misinterpreted it over the centuries along with forcing people to live according to their misconstrued rules.
Whpji
One issue is also that the brain has a biological capacity for memory, and unless we come up with a way of installing more, we are going to be "living in the past" whether we want to or not.

Homes for dementia patients do well when they set up the living quarters in a way patients who can't manage new memories can handle. Music from their younger years, environment cues to help them get to common areas, and tricks to keep them from danger areas (placing a black mat in front of the elevator can be interpreted by these brain as a "hole" and keeps them safely away) are all ways of accommodating an elderly person with mental deterioration, but to do this forever seems counterproductive.
Whats all this got to do with aspergers?

Wwj

What's all thos got to do with asper9?

Whpji

Whats all this got to do with aspergers?
That's because this is a thread about senescence and treatments for it that may be possible in the near future that may prolong human lives, maybe even indefinitely. I made this thread to ask what people thought about it, and maybe discuss it a bit, like why people may be against it and stuff.

That's because this is a thread about senescence and treatments for it that may be possible in the near future that may prolong human lives, maybe even indefinitely. I made this thread to ask what people thought about it, and maybe discuss it a bit, like why people may be against it and stuff.
What is senesense?

I do not understand this site it is to complicated for me, so i am giving it the erebos....goodbye.
It's a site about Asperger's and Autism, and it's also a site for people with Asperger's and Autism. Now since we all have our fixations, naturally there has to be sections dedicated to what those fixations are. Mine just so happens to include the science of senescence. I may even decide to chose it as my specialization in the future and research more about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom