• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Smarter than You

Sportster

Aged to Perfection
V.I.P Member
Have you ever encountered a supervisor, teacher, or someone in higher authority that thought they knew more or were smarter than you even though it was obvious they didn't have a clue what they were talking about or even knew how to do their job?

Let me cite a personal example. I maintain university dorms; I do more than change light bulbs and plunge toilets, as I also rebuild air-conditioners and repair boilers. The Associate Director of Operations told us to "paint the toilet seats" in order to save money. That ranked up there in my top ten list of imbecilic orders. Fortunately she didn't push the issue even though we never made her understand why it wasn't feasible.

So, if you've had a similar problem, how did you handle it? Share your story.

Last edited:
This situation is one where tact is called for, which can be a real challenge for Aspies. I would try to make a joke out of it, like "What would you like me to do when the epidemic of (paint color) ass breaks out?

When I was in the Corps, I had an incident with my platoon commander. He decided to walk up to me and brag about how he was so tough he never had to make head calls. I looked him in the eye and said "Well sir, I guess that means you're full of ----!" He stood there for a second with a puzzled look and walked away. My section mates who had seen this encounter were looking at me in amazement that I had been so bold. I told them that any officer worth his salt that wanted to go around talking smack, should expect to get smack in return!

My internship supervisor of my last year of teacher bachelors... That woman... She had a superiority attitude and was a downright horrible person. She would constantly tell my she doubted I'd make a good teacher, but in the meantime she'd grab a copy of every assignment and project I made for the kids and keep it for future use. I didn't do everything right of course, but this woman drove me to tears on numerous occasions. She was the reason I went in pursuit of my diagnosis, cause I knew she was going to fail me even though my performance was good enough to pass. Then when I told her I was officially diagnosed with Aspergers and showed her the paperwork she went 'Oh you poor kid, here's a passing grade, you're not planning on being a teacher anyways'. I took it and made sure I never saw her again.

Have you ever encountered a supervisor, teacher, or someone in higher authority that thought they knew more or were smarter than you even though it was obvious they didn't have a clue what they were talking about or even knew how to do their job?

Let me cite a personal example. I maintain university dorms; I do more than change light bulbs and plunge toilets, as I also rebuild air-conditioners and repair boilers. The Associate Director of Operations told us to "paint the toilet seats" in order to save money. That ranked up there in my top ten list of imbecilic orders. Fortunately she didn't push the issue even though we never made her understand why it wasn't feasible.

So, if you've had a similar problem, how did you handle it? Share your story.

Yes and I handled it very poorly. I really hate it when imbeciles try to convince you that they are somehow smarter than you are.

I wonder why when I tell someone what they need to be told and I say it so nice I always feel very very bad. So I will tell someone something they really need to hear. Why do I feel so bad giving someone constructive criticism ? It that being my autistic self vey uncomfortable telling anyone not just a boss but anyone what they really need to hear

At my first job one of my supervisors wanted me to help him move a change machine by basically walking it across the floor. I asked him if he had a dolly or something because wasn't his method a bit dangerous? He assured me that he knew what he was doing, and I figgured that as my "superior" I would take his word for it. Well, as we were moving the machine the change inside began to shift, changing the machines center of gravity, and sending it crashing down on top of me. My injuries were minor, but I learned that just because somebody is in a higher position it does not mean they know better than I do.

Sadly, those above you often take a paternal attitude. I notice this all of the time with politicians thinking they know what's best for us.

Story of my life, lol... the amount of supervisors and such that did stupid things and acted like they knew what they were doing is astounding.

However, when it comes to work and all, I try not to make a fuss out of it in general and just let him live in that bubble. Unless;it starts affecting me of course. One time I had a boss who was such a terrible supervisor and department leader that his failure lead to declining production rates and as a result we had to come in a 6th or sometimes 7th day to catch up what we let behind. Since supply chain just said "we want X units by the end of the week". If that's the case and I'm being coerced to working overtime and giving up sparetime (or have to tell him I'm not coming for overtime and thus risking my job) that's where it starts affecting me directly and personally. (obviously, we butted heads plenty of times, up until the point where he dreaded even asking me to come in for the weekend; but he just had to ask everyone in the department by upper management)

Yeah, as some pointed out, politicians are similar. Often more indirect... not a fan of those either, especially when they have a hidden agenda. But unlike supervisors I can't tell them, face to face, I'm not playing their game. As much as I like to, I can't just do a no show in society, lol.

Oh yes, had a tutor who thought he knew everything IT wise. He wouldn't accept I knew how to do what he wanted to do so I sat down and waited while he tried over and over again to perform his task.
Finally he had to back down and ask me how I would do it, two minutes later it was fixed by me. :)

Math teacher, English teacher, one or two guys during my army training... I've met a few, and sometimes made my point of view known. Guess what? They didn't like it, though my English teacher was smart enough to understand she was wrong and called for a truce.

God yes. Practically every job I've ever had (and I've had quite a few) entailed having to put up with someone like this, and when I was in college I often had to correct the teachers in class because they just kept getting things wrong (ex. one dimwit thought the U.S. Civil War began in 1865 and ended in 1871. He also thought that the expression casus belli meant 'just war' when it actually means 'reason for going to war'). Unbelievably frustrating! :mad:

God yes. Practically every job I've ever had (and I've had quite a few) entailed having to put up with someone like this, and when I was in college I often had to correct the teachers in class because they just kept getting things wrong (ex. one dimwit thought the U.S. Civil War began in 1865 and ended in 1871. He also thought that the expression casus belli meant 'just war' when it actually means 'reason for going to war'). Unbelievably frustrating! :mad:
OMG that hilarious and quite sad, if you only learn a few things in high school history class or really any 3rd grade and up history class. Know U.S. Civil war started 1861-1865 then reconstruction from 1865-1870. President Lincoln took office in 1861 killed 1865, then johnson took office witch started reconstruction of the Union... I could go on I think you get my point. Why was this dimwit teaching a college class? I would pissed off beyond belief if this guy was teaching my class. College at least here in U.S. Is too simply just too damn expensive for that kinda B.S.

My internship supervisor of my last year of teacher bachelors... That woman... She had a superiority attitude and was a downright horrible person. . . . even though my performance was good enough to pass. Then when I told her I was officially diagnosed with Aspergers and showed her the paperwork she went 'Oh you poor kid, here's a passing grade, you're not planning on being a teacher anyways'. I took it and made sure I never saw her again.

Where are you teaching now, or are you looking? What state are you in if I may ask? I have taught before, so I might be able to help a bit. I hope you are doing well.

Where are you teaching now, or are you looking? What state are you in if I may ask? I have taught before, so I might be able to help a bit. I hope you are doing well.
Thanks, but I'm not teaching anymore. I work at a local county department as a project assistant in Economical Affairs in Europe. :) The only thing that woman was right about was that I wasn't going to be a teacher anyways, but I knew that when I started the degree. I only did the degree because it was the only way for me to get access to a Masters I wanted. No teachers degree, no 'higher level' in debt masters. I graduated my masters 3 years ago on the 11th of this month :D

Yeah, while I at university, the 'professor' who was the head of the degree program was a mean person and a sloppy show-off. She made mistakes left and right while supposedly teaching. I called her on it, in class, in my own defense and in other's too. (My mistake, I was not yet diagnosed and still thought teachers wanted to be told when they made mistakes). She attacked me and marked me wrong on right answers, etc.
so, I organized the other students, we wrote up a formal complaint of her detailing with examples how she was not doing her job as a prof and/or an advisor to those of us looking to graduate. We presented it to the head of the Humanities Dep't.
As a consequence, she was fired.

OMG that hilarious and quite sad, if you only learn a few things in high school history class or really any 3rd grade and up history class. Know U.S. Civil war started 1861-1865 then reconstruction from 1865-1870. President Lincoln took office in 1861 killed 1865, then johnson took office witch started reconstruction of the Union... I could go on I think you get my point. Why was this dimwit teaching a college class? I would pissed off beyond belief if this guy was teaching my class. College at least here in U.S. Is too simply just too damn expensive for that kinda B.S.

I suppose in his defense I should say that both he and I live in Australia. On second thoughts, no, even that is no excuse really, not for a teacher. He was utterly incompetent, completely clueless, and what made it even worse was the fact that it was always ME who challenged him (the other students would just sit there, like sheep, taking it all in).

I suppose in his defense I should say that both he and I live in Australia. On second thoughts, no, even that is no excuse really, not for a teacher. He was utterly incompetent, completely clueless, and what made it even worse was the fact that it was always ME who challenged him (the other students would just sit there, like sheep, taking it all in).
Oh I forgot that there are people from around the world on here on aspiecenteral, It's one thing to misspeak, or simply not know something if you never been taught. How ever a teacher should know their material, especially a college professor. Again college is simply too expensive for that kinda B.S. My cousin spent 6 years at Texas A&M and now has over 100,000 dollars in student loans too pay off that's before interest. I work in the trades... So i guess bias but college is/ can be overrated.

New Threads

Top Bottom