• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sleeping WAYYY too much

ErrolEast

Hi Everyone,
Since you were all so incredibly helpful with my last dilemma, I figured I would turn to you again.

Despite my best efforts to keep my daughter on a proper sleep schedule, she is awake multiple times through the night , and occasionally has night terrors and sleep walks. Generally, I put her to bed around 730pm and wake her up at 7am. But I have tracked her sleep for the past two years using a fitbit and she averages about 4-6 hrs of sleep a night, in one-hour blocks. If she is sick or going through a growth spurt, She tends to sleep more, but typically she gets about as much sleep as a college student.

This past week has been completely different and out of the norm. All weekend, she slept in (for literally the first time in her life). On Monday, she fell asleep at the dinner table and stayed asleep all night (and it took a lot of effort to get her up in the morning. On Tuesday, I had to pick her up from school around noon because she fell asleep in her egg chair and her snoring was disrupting the rest of the class. Yesterday, she fell asleep at school twice, and then at home on the living room floor while I was making dinner.

When I tried to get her ready for school this morning (after 15 hours of straight sleep!) she was falling asleep while I put her socks on.

She looks exhausted, has dark circles under her eyes and looks like she hasn't slept in days.

I've never seen her like this before, should I be concerned? I already called her doctor (I'm paranoid that it could be a thyroid issue) but he can't see her until next week.

She normally gets around 35 hrs of sleep a week and this past week it's closer to 90 hrs. But, I am also aware that I panic at the slightest disruptions in her routine because I know how much it can throw her off (I call it my second-hand anxiety) and this is more than just slight.

Yeah this sounds a bit concerning especially since she's gone from a light sleeper to a very heavy sleeper. This isn't right. I'd be interested to find out what the doctor makes of this.

In truth, I reckon you need to actually take her physically to your dr or a hospital and so they can see her in action, so to speak ( conversily), because indeed, that is just not right at all and thus, something is going on.

This is a medical alert.

I would be concerned, too -- especially given that she doesn't look well and it sounds like she is not refreshed by all the sleep.

I 2nd the idea of seeing a doctor. If they cant find anything wrong ask for a sleep study if possible. I have had narcolepsy all my life. And your story sounds just like me. I slept walked till I was 15 or so. I get real sleepy in the day even if I had a good nights sleep. Especially after eating. I remember many mornings getting ready for school and falling asleep on the toilet. :oops: Also sleep paralysis. Your body naturally paralyses you to keep you from sleep walking, and acting out your dreams. But with someone with narcolepsy it can continue right to the edge of waking up. you can barely breath, can't move your body and when you scream nothing comes out. One trick to get out of it that works for me, is to try wiggling my toes.
I hope you can get the help you need.:)

Hi Everyone,
Since you were all so incredibly helpful with my last dilemma, I figured I would turn to you again.

Despite my best efforts to keep my daughter on a proper sleep schedule, she is awake multiple times through the night , and occasionally has night terrors and sleep walks. Generally, I put her to bed around 730pm and wake her up at 7am. But I have tracked her sleep for the past two years using a fitbit and she averages about 4-6 hrs of sleep a night, in one-hour blocks. If she is sick or going through a growth spurt, She tends to sleep more, but typically she gets about as much sleep as a college student.

This past week has been completely different and out of the norm. All weekend, she slept in (for literally the first time in her life). On Monday, she fell asleep at the dinner table and stayed asleep all night (and it took a lot of effort to get her up in the morning. On Tuesday, I had to pick her up from school around noon because she fell asleep in her egg chair and her snoring was disrupting the rest of the class. Yesterday, she fell asleep at school twice, and then at home on the living room floor while I was making dinner.

When I tried to get her ready for school this morning (after 15 hours of straight sleep!) she was falling asleep while I put her socks on.

She looks exhausted, has dark circles under her eyes and looks like she hasn't slept in days.

I've never seen her like this before, should I be concerned? I already called her doctor (I'm paranoid that it could be a thyroid issue) but he can't see her until next week.

She normally gets around 35 hrs of sleep a week and this past week it's closer to 90 hrs. But, I am also aware that I panic at the slightest disruptions in her routine because I know how much it can throw her off (I call it my second-hand anxiety) and this is more than just slight.
Perhaps the dr. will suggest a sleep study for apnea or other related things. This would be concerning to me too. Good luck!

If the doctor cant figure it out with bloodtests, you could take her to a functional medicine doctor
I have had a similar issue, I took bloodtests but havnt heard back yet (testing hormones, thyroid, iron..). Ive had this issue intermittently for years, just having periods where I am exhausted, and need bed. I wake every hour or so in the night due to dreams/noises/bathroom and I never feel rested
Diet/gut health plays a huge role for me, and any slip-ups I have with gluten I notice that night with nightmares. So I would make sure her health and sensitive system is being supported with lots of probiotics: apple cider vinegar/coconut yoghurt/saukraut. I generally dont eat meat, dairy, grains, sugar or wheat. It sounds extreme to some people, but its a massive difference to me - I recently started adding in slowcooked bonebroth to help seal my leaky gut, although im not a fan of animal products (was convinced my GAPS diet & Dr axe & the are a lot of legitimate studies in support of it as a therapeutic intervention in autism). When your body/physiology is aggravated I think its harder to rest. For me, im returning to really easily digested foods - smoothies and vege soups. When I veer off its not worth it, its a completely different level of functioning/coping, and like a totally different person.
I have had viral infections - glandular fever/mono, and reoccurring fatigue has been attributed to this. Doctors cant really do anything for this. You just have to try get your immune system more capable of defending itself.
I would say, let her have any amount of rest she needs and dont give her any heavy foods that will slow down her recovery/true rest, and hopefully get some tests done. Good luck

Late update (it's been a crazy couple of weeks). the doctors couldn't find anything to explain the excessive sleeping. She is sleeping more still, but not quite to that excess now (averaging around 12-14hrs now). She did gain a couple of inches, though, so it really could have just been a growth spurt, I guess?

New Threads

Top Bottom