• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Simplistic language use

kenaij

AQ score: 38, Aspie Score: asp 142/200 nt 58/200
First of, I`m Dutch so things I say below are based on my native language.
I was wondering if anyone here can relate to this.
My use of language is very simplistic. What I mean is the words I use in my spoken language do not match my IQ level. At least that is the best way to describe it.
On the average IQ test I score around 125. I go up to 135 if there are more logic, math type questions, and 120 when there are more language based questions.
This also generally means people assume I am less smart than I actually am. They do not think I`m dumb (or at least I don`t think they do) but they do often mistakenly assume I am dumber then I am. And thus are often surprised when I come up with solutions to problems when they can`t.

I work with teachers and people of roughly the same educational level. And in conversations my use of words does not match that of their vocabulary. I mostly know the meaning of the words they use, but can never seem to understand why they use certain words when there is a much simpler word that perfectly replaces the 'interesting' word.
Whenever I do try to mix in these words I get 'stuck' mid sentence I have to think how to go on with the conversation.

Can any of you relate to this?

Fortunately, I Was brought up in the Dutch language read a lot so managed to get a large vocabulary in the English
language notice now I can sord of read other languages.as they have similar roots Canada being bilingual helps as all labels are in both languages. The only language I speak is English and sort of Dutch as my parents practiced their own English so we spoke English back. mathematics is just another language with each branch different dialects, just learn the rules and you have it. I do not talk enough to worry too much what others think they just think I'M really introverted. IT would be fun your simple Dutch and my broken Dutch.

I don't know, I feel it's the other way around for me. I have trouble using and understanding 'big words', but I've found that offline NTs use simple words like I do, while online autistics usually use big words that I'm often finding myself googling the meaning of. I read people's posts and I think "how do they know all these words?" I try to study the words but when it comes to actually using them I suddenly can't think how to use them in the context of the sentence.

I am articulate and good at writing, but I don't often use big words that most other autistic people use on internet forums. Usually the 'bigger' words you use the more chance you have of winning an online argument. I have to "go round all the houses" to explain my point in an argument, which makes the post too long and then nobody reads it.

I can't win!

I have always looked up words Reading scientific articles here the authors want to be specific with word choice. English is bad for this so many words mean the same thing but with subtle differences.my issue is spelling.

First of, I`m Dutch so things I say below are based on my native language.
I was wondering if anyone here can relate to this.
My use of language is very simplistic. What I mean is the words I use in my spoken language do not match my IQ level. At least that is the best way to describe it.
On the average IQ test I score around 125. I go up to 135 if there are more logic, math type questions, and 120 when there are more language based questions.
This also generally means people assume I am less smart than I actually am. They do not think I`m dumb (or at least I don`t think they do) but they do often mistakenly assume I am dumber then I am. And thus are often surprised when I come up with solutions to problems when they can`t.

I work with teachers and people of roughly the same educational level. And in conversations my use of words does not match that of their vocabulary. I mostly know the meaning of the words they use, but can never seem to understand why they use certain words when there is a much simpler word that perfectly replaces the 'interesting' word.
Whenever I do try to mix in these words I get 'stuck' mid sentence I have to think how to go on with the conversation.

Can any of you relate to this?
As a medical professional, and educator, and an autistic, I can relate.

On one hand, having a broad, working vocabulary is generally thought of as desirable. If anyone is writing anything lengthy, using the same simple words, over and over becomes almost distracting. I learned early on, say, 12-18 years of age, how to use a thesaurus. Many school writing assignments were often critiqued on one's use of vocabulary. If you enjoy reading books, especially creative works, the use of descriptive vocabulary is often used. Over time, we gain a vocabulary.

Working in the medical field there are a lot of competing egos and if you've read scientific literature you know there is a specific vocabulary. Some insecure people associate the use of "big words" with intelligence. The reality is that most intelligent people see through that facade pretty easily. However, the other part of working in the medical field is interacting with patients and family members who do not share that vocabulary. It's often not a matter of "dumbing things down" per se, but rather using "common language" to describe and inform.

Even as an educator, I have learned early on, that even folks in the medical field, when they are new to a topic, learning things for the first time, you have to use common language. Then, later on, once they have that basic foundation, you can start introducing more medical terminology. I would make PowerPoint lectures, and then, when my kids were 10-13 years old, or so, I would have them view the lectures. If they could understand it, then it was a good PowerPoint. If they didn't understand it, I had to do some editing. Obviously, my children are now pushing 30 years old, but the point being, if a child can understand it, then it's a good, beginner's lecture. I often will use similar language when interacting with parents, and it seems to work well.

If I have difficulties with lectures or interacting with my physicians, it's more in the realm of the "tip-of-the-tongue" aphasia, perhaps my mind racing ahead of my mouth, and/or not fully understanding that I have a level of expertise in a specific area in which they are not trained, and vice-versa. Then, there is autistic speech apraxia/dyspraxia and prosody (see the video below) which I do struggle with.

One of the reasons I love to write is that I can get my thoughts out properly, as I can edit. Verbally, in real life, my tone, my prosody, and my dyspraxia may be interpreted as a lack of intelligence. I've seen videos of myself speaking, and upon viewing these videos, it is quite obvious. I can understand how others may misunderstand or misinterpret me.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider. -Basic human prejudice.

Where a difference in both what and how words are used, and the tempo (or lack thereof) in which they are said can come across as being inferior to that of others. A social dynamic I've observed from one end of the US to the other for many years. Where one's accent, dialect..."patois" or whatever else you want to call it will more likely bring various levels of scorn towards you.

And that's not even getting into the issue of speech pathology, let alone neurological and intellectual differences, regardless of IQ scores. That in essence, if you sound "different" from everyone's perceived peers for any reason at all, it can potentially downgrade you in an instant.

Just try to show up at a furniture retailer asking for a chifforobe when all they understand is an armoire. ;)

Spoke little as a child, almost non-verbal, read incessantly. At 12, stumbled into speech and debate. There, my emphasis was on selecting the correct word, conveying my meaning as precisely as possible. That discipline led to competitive success and I began talking more irl. However, my speech patterns cemented into those formal ways and the pattern stuck with me throughout life, even though I knew it caused problems. It was the only way I knew, and I never saw a reason to use vague language.

In the army, lots of corn-fed farm boys took offense, to my imminent danger. I began struggling overtime to make my patterns more regular guy-like, to everyone's dissatisfaction. Hard to drop a hard-earned vocabulary, but that's what was called for. After the army, I longed after my previous patterns, the more so because the new ones were no more effective.

In all my life since, I've staggered between one and the other, most comfortable when I get in a situation where more precise language is called for, and I get into that groove. Outside those situations, I find most people don't really want me to be all that precise in my communications. Oh well; rough on them.

I find most people don't really want me to be all that precise in my communications. Oh well; rough on them.
YES! What's with that!!??

WHY would anyone want to use imprecise, abiguous language? Do they not want to communicate?
Even using simple vocabulary, you can be precise in your speech.

I have always felt that communication was what the receiver understands, not what the sender means. So I have always taken pains to be precise and unambiguous in my communication.

And my wife always complained about my being "Mr Literal".

I find language use very interesting but limited in my case to English with a smattering of German.

Besides individual variation there is also regional styles. I especially notice how different areas have some specific words and phrases only or mostly used there. Even within regions you have variation based on cultural groups.

But it sounds like one of the things you are talking about is the use of '5 Dollar Words'

It's annoying if used in a pretentious way, to appear very intelligent. And often the person using the word doesn't really understand it and uses it incorrectly.

But if used correctly these rarer words have very specific nuances that can really narrow in on better expressing the thought.

As a medical professional, and educator, and an autistic, I can relate.

On one hand, having a broad, working vocabulary is generally thought of as desirable. If anyone is writing anything lengthy, using the same simple words, over and over becomes almost distracting. I learned early on, say, 12-18 years of age, how to use a thesaurus. Many school writing assignments were often critiqued on one's use of vocabulary. If you enjoy reading books, especially creative works, the use of descriptive vocabulary is often used. Over time, we gain a vocabulary.

Working in the medical field there are a lot of competing egos and if you've read scientific literature you know there is a specific vocabulary. Some insecure people associate the use of "big words" with intelligence. The reality is that most intelligent people see through that facade pretty easily. However, the other part of working in the medical field is interacting with patients and family members who do not share that vocabulary. It's often not a matter of "dumbing things down" per se, but rather using "common language" to describe and inform.

Even as an educator, I have learned early on, that even folks in the medical field, when they are new to a topic, learning things for the first time, you have to use common language. Then, later on, once they have that basic foundation, you can start introducing more medical terminology. I would make PowerPoint lectures, and then, when my kids were 10-13 years old, or so, I would have them view the lectures. If they could understand it, then it was a good PowerPoint. If they didn't understand it, I had to do some editing. Obviously, my children are now pushing 30 years old, but the point being, if a child can understand it, then it's a good, beginner's lecture. I often will use similar language when interacting with parents, and it seems to work well.

If I have difficulties with lectures or interacting with my physicians, it's more in the realm of the "tip-of-the-tongue" aphasia, perhaps my mind racing ahead of my mouth, and/or not fully understanding that I have a level of expertise in a specific area in which they are not trained, and vice-versa.
My formal lecturing was mostly in the church, but in the workplace I trained rather than taught. What you say makes tons of sense, but my approach was different. I often used the vocabulary as the focal point of teaching.

Examples:
You can tell a computer tech about the use of a WCS, or you can ask what a control store is. Once they piece together an answer, you ask why anyone would want a writable control store. Their brains are then in a mode to understand why we incorporate a WCS and how we use it. Same with a BIC; of all the sorts of I/O controllers, why did the engineers chose a buffered controller, and what is unique about the interlacing sort?

I often used the same technique teaching the Bible. There are a thousand theological terms that scare off people who have the building blocks to understand them. 'Progressive revelation' glazes over eyes, but it's easy to explain that it's God doing the revealing, it's himself that he's revealing, and he has revealed himself more and more over time. One less scary term for them to be wary of.

Anyway, it's an approach that worked for me. Can't say I didn't get my share of snores.

I speak in somewhat of a childlike manner. It rarely conveys the thoughts that I'm trying to express. It's very frustrating.

And then if I'm feeling shy and I really want someone to like what I say, I get quiet.

IQ tests are always up in the 130s, but with dyslexia and speech difficulties, people often think I'm a bubblehead.

I don't understand IQ tests. I'm good at punctuation and spelling but I am laughingly poor at math and anything technical or scientific. In find it hard to retain new knowledge such as facts, and can take longer than the average person to learn things (it took me 3 years to learn how to drive, while for most people it takes less than a year). This was because during my driving lessons the more new things I learnt the more basic things I learnt first I kept forgetting. But it might have been due to lacking confidence, as that has always been my problem. The reason why I've only ever been in cleaning jobs is because I find it hard to learn more complicated stuff that involves more skills, logic and thinking. I'd like to be an engineer or a bus-driver but it involves a lot of training, learning, patience, passing tests, focus, and extra work such as paperwork and calculating mileage and other complicated stuff like that.
So, cleaning a garage it is for me. Cleaning is basic, a skill anyone can master. But I do like a challenge, as in I don't like repetitive tasks, so sometimes I can become bored and frustrated that I can't do a more 'stressful' job.

But I've always been articulate and different professional people have said I have a good EQ, but I'm not sure what my IQ would add up to.

I don't understand IQ tests. I'm good at punctuation and spelling but I am laughingly poor at math and anything technical or scientific. In find it hard to retain new knowledge such as facts, and can take longer than the average person to learn things (it took me 3 years to learn how to drive, while for most people it takes less than a year). This was because during my driving lessons the more new things I learnt the more basic things I learnt first I kept forgetting. But it might have been due to lacking confidence, as that has always been my problem. The reason why I've only ever been in cleaning jobs is because I find it hard to learn more complicated stuff that involves more skills, logic and thinking. I'd like to be an engineer or a bus-driver but it involves a lot of training, learning, patience, passing tests, focus, and extra work such as paperwork and calculating mileage and other complicated stuff like that.
So, cleaning a garage it is for me. Cleaning is basic, a skill anyone can master. But I do like a challenge, as in I don't like repetitive tasks, so sometimes I can become bored and frustrated that I can't do a more 'stressful' job.

But I've always been articulate and different professional people have said I have a good EQ, but I'm not sure what my IQ would add up to.
I would like to correst you on one thing. Cleaning surely is not a skill anyone can master. Can anyone do cleaning? Yeah, I would say pretty much anyone that is not severly mentally or physically handicapped can. But master? No way. There are not many people who are so good at cleaning that you could say they mastered it. Don`t sell yourself short.

@Neonatal RRT thnx for the video link. I will watch it when I get home from work.

Everyone else, I would also like to thank you for your input.

I find myself loathing simple terms to mean bigger things. Not to hard on 'kids these days' because I'm one of them, but I dislike it when folks will use umbrella terms and words which mean less than the experience. Words like 'lit' or 'fire' when something might really be...awe-inducing or powerful or magical. Maybe I'm just particularly irked when I see it on classical music videos...?....because I'm elitist? *shrugs* Oh gosh, or 'vibe.'

Not to go on another rant but the word 'literally' used as a filler makes me more than more than irate. How can something be 'literally' what it already is? You're telling me you literally went to the grocery store as opposed to figuratively? No, I don't 'correct' people when they use it in real life--that'd be obnoxious, but...oh, the urge...

sorry to hijack the thread and go on a 'words I don't like' rant :/

I find myself loathing simple terms to mean bigger things. Not to hard on 'kids these days' because I'm one of them, but I dislike it when folks will use umbrella terms and words which mean less than the experience. Words like 'lit' or 'fire' when something might really be...awe-inducing or powerful or magical. Maybe I'm just particularly irked when I see it on classical music videos...?....because I'm elitist? *shrugs* Oh gosh, or 'vibe.'

Not to go on another rant but the word 'literally' used as a filler makes me more than more than irate. How can something be 'literally' what it already is? You're telling me you literally went to the grocery store as opposed to figuratively? No, I don't 'correct' people when they use it in real life--that'd be obnoxious, but...oh, the urge...

I agree with you 100%.

Which brings me too the next one that triggers me. When someone says they agree 120%, or they are going to give it 200%. Uhm... That is not possible. Because then the 200% would be your 100%. Something you do or give can never be more than 100%.

Ah yes, I hate that 'literally' has become a non-literal word, so if you do mean something literally literally people may still think you're exaggerating.

"I'm literally dying" when someone just feels tired.

So whenever I'm explaining something, I have to put a lot of emphasis on 'literally' by saying "I LITERALLY literally, like, really truly do..." but even that sounds exaggerating like it's just as false as the "I'm literally dying" one.

So yes, the word 'literally' has lost its meaning.

So yes, the word 'literally' has lost its meaning.
This is one of my pet peeves! Misusing language this way frequently gets picked up by people ignorant or apathetic enough to repeat it the same way until so many are using it wrongly that the perceived meaning changes.
"Politically Correct" speech frequently declares valid descriptive words as offensive, even when nothing in the word's actual meaning implies offense. For example, the word "normal" simply means [according to merriam-webster.com]:

1 a: conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern : characterized by that which is considered usual, typical, or routine
b: according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, procedure, or principle 2 : occurring naturally

But we have the bulk of humanity referred to as "Neurotypical" instead of just "normal". Normal does not imply that things outside of normal are bad. Sometimes they are bad, sometimes they are good, and sometimes they are simply different with no advantages or disadvantages.

By avoiding simple descriptive terms and replacing them with contrived terms to describe the same thing, the impression is given that the simple descriptive terms are somehow offensive. Nearly everyone in an industrial society knows what a Garbage Man is. It's not a man made of garbage. It's not a man worth garbage. It's a man who deals with disposing garbage. Calling that person a "Sanitation Engineer" is fundamentally inaccurate. A Garbage Man does not perform engineering. They dispose garbage.

Ok, enough rant.

New Threads

Top Bottom