• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I quit my job and become a NEET?

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
This morning, I found myself having to leave half an hour earlier than usual because my ankle is swollen and painful and I needed that extra time to limp a mile to the nearest bus stop so I could make it to the office today. My boss recently told me that she needs me in the office five days a week and if my ankle makes it impossible, I would be unemployed very quickly.

I am thinking of quitting my job and living off my SSDI check alone. Being a NEET and focusing on my film criticism hobby instead of working for a boss who clearly hates me.

Risky business in this economy at the present, given so much uncertainty. IMO, of course. Many of us have had to hang onto a job we loathed for longer than we like. Sometimes it's just unavoidable. And I too can recall a few times when I had to go to work while being just plain sick. It happens. Where an employer is more likely to show you the door than express any compassion.

In your case, such a reduction in your living circumstances might just potentially make you more reliant on family. Which under the circumstances you have elaborated on previously, sounds precarious at the very least.

Last edited:
Yeah, both my boss and my mother want me to die. There is no winning here, only degrees of losing.

Yeah, both my boss and my mother want me to die. There is no winning here, only degrees of losing.
Yep...another case of "robbing Peter to pay Paul". -Kobyashi Maru. But on occasion, those "no-win" scenarios happen...can't deny that. When all you can really do is to "soldier on" the best you can. Just don't stay there indefinitely.

Think of it in terms of "timing is everything". Where at that right time, you bolt and KNOW that you did the right thing. Something that took me far too long to figure out in my own case of staying with a rotten job.

Last edited:
Yeah, I need to find a different job ASAP. Currently, I feel like self-destructing instead, and that's not good.

Have you thought of a sport brace to help? It sounds like you did well for so long. So consider yourself a success. You have worked. Despite a crappy boss. Don't beat yourself up now. Just work on your next solution. Your ankle and your boss are the issues. So they both require work, new job and a way to relieve stress on your ankle. Can you look online for remote part-time work or full-time. You also can tell your boss your are fighting an ankle issue, and it may cause you to quit. If you go NEET- then maybe you tell us the good the bad and the other. :)

Last edited:
I am what I'd call a succesful NEET and this is only feasible if you have supportive/wealthy family or luxurious government accomodation. Usually the support friends and family can provide is only temporary (when faced with longer or more intensive need the relationship can go sour). Remember that going NEET for a period puts your future hirability in jeopardy too.
That said, always be on the look out for the most comfortable way to sustain yourself and don't put up with worse because of the fear of change.

I wonder how much of what I am feeling right now is clinical depression. I feel like quitting my job and isolating, watching movies and essentially wasting away.

I wonder how much of what I am feeling right now is clinical depression. I feel like quitting my job and isolating, watching movies and essentially wasting away.
Hey. I feel you. If need you need to go NEET to recalibrate yourself and find your joy , maybe some therapy? Sometimes a break is the best thing for us to do.

You can search for some remote works you can do from Home Office.

Its not presential work or nothing else choice.
I could go back to doing what I was doing 15 years ago - spending the bulk of my time focusing on making myself a big name in the online film criticism circles. My mother did everything she could to sabotage that 15 years ago and attacked it from every angle, and then she literally praised me when I shut down that website because bourbon became more important to me at that time. That does not have to happen a second time.

12 hours a day are a lot of time. You can get a partial job to get some extra money, learn new things and being conected with the working world. And you can get your big name in online film. And you can do some outdoors activity. And more things.

Depression comes when we have nothing to do.

Depression comes when we have nothing to do.
Too many pros and cons for me all around to think about here, but what @Atrapa Almas points out, I agree with for sure.

I have had the opportunity to not work for an extended period of time and it did not go well for me at all. Having the structure and fulfillment of a job is extremely important to my mental health and especially if I want any chance at sobriety. However, even just a part time job is providing me that structure and satisfaction at the moment.

For someone like myself, without the structure of paid employment, I must find artificial structure elsewhere that is built out of more than just my motivation toward my interests and hobbies.

YaY! My umbrella just got destroyed by strong winds. Today is a lovely day for me! Bloody hell, does this ever end?

Stay centered. Think of some goals. Think how far you have come. This isn't connected to you. There are just a lot of screwed up people called bosses. My last boss was so great. I retired when she quit. She was autistic and l really got along with her. I know l don't really relate well to a lot of my bosses. But I just caught up with my boss from the liquor store. She seemed very pleasant.

Last edited:
The one thing I have learned over the years with chronic clinical depression is twofold:

1) To be very aware when your cycle of depression "flows". And to cut yourself slack accordingly.
2) Make no life-altering decisions until you sense that your cycle of depression is ebbing rather than flowing.

Depression is like bad weather. Where most of the time you must simply weather it as a storm until the sun shines again. Knowing that another storm is inevitable. Where you just learn to live with its cyclical nature the best you can. Hopefully with a minimum of pharmaceutical options.

Last edited:
Should I contact my psychiatrist and admit to him that I have had thoughts of self destruction the last couple of days? Thoughts of isolating and becoming the ultimate video gamer at the expense of everything else in my life?

Should I contact my psychiatrist and admit to him that I have had thoughts of self destruction the last couple of days? Thoughts of isolating and becoming the ultimate video gamer at the expense of everything else in my life?
Yes.
1667614292517.jpeg

New Threads

Top Bottom