• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I go to this?

Owliet

The Hidden One.
In the next few weeks, a big …carnival (I think that’s the best way to describe it) usually take place in February to early March here. Called faschnacht. I’m currently looking for ways to be more socially involved and I know that faschnacht is one of them that I could go to but in the evening there are always a big party. I have to book a ticket if i am going but I dont really have anyone to go with, so I’m worried that I may be overwhelmed but it may be worthwhile?

Go for it! Can’t you always just attend for as long as you like and leave when you are done?

Do you want to, or do you feel like it's something you should do (even though it doesn't feel true to yourself)?
That’s a good question. I feel like it’s something that I should do and it could be fun and there’s a lot of benefits as to why I should go BUT, saying that there are things that I would not find fun there such as drinking a lot of alcohol and it gets really loud, you can hear it from across the road. I’d feel like id be in a high high social environment that I dont really know fully how I’d cope in it. Cons are a bit difference because even tough it is a high social environment, there isn’t really too much loud noises or excessive drinking…I guess I could go in the afternoon festivals since they seem to be more calmer and still have some experience and fun there.

That's what I tend to do: go places early or late, so I can enjoy as much as possible. Then I don't feel like it's a huge endurance test where I'm trying to tell myself I'm happy because I "should" be doing this.

And, as Rodafina said, you can always leave when you want. Good luck :)

I’d also point out that faschnacht is quite loud. There’s a lot going on, so I’m worried that I may be too overwhelmed by it all…But saying that I could also wear a costume (like some others do) and that way I can “mask” myself into i….like I do at comic con and its not like I am lacking in costume options…I dont think I’d be drinking since I dont like alcohol but I do find it challenging to be in a room with all too many stimulants — it’s why I dont like the idea of attending nightclubs and leave bars if it gets too much. Then again, because it is not too far away from home, I can always escape if it’s too much.

That's what I tend to do: go places early or late, so I can enjoy as much as possible. Then I don't feel like it's a huge endurance test where I'm trying to tell myself I'm happy because I "should" be doing this.

And, as Rodafina said, you can always leave when you want. Good luck :)
That’s very helpful. I think I will go and just do that and try to enjoy it.=). I dont have many opportunities with socializing although I am trying to change it, so I think it would be a good challenge. I am trying to challenge myself much this year to do things that may be a bit…difficult.

I googled Faschnacht Switzerland and this came up. Now I want to go. :D I think you should go but I do also know well how overwhelming things like that can be. It's a little tricky.

iu

I googled Faschnacht Switzerland and this came up. Now I want to go. :D I think you should go but I do also know well how overwhelming things like that can be. It's a little tricky.

iu
Yeah, that’s ..usually how they go. I mean, me being in costume wouldn’t be out of place either but it is very loud, very ….drinking alcohol and theres a lot of loud noises like poppers and whistles. At a certain point, I can deal with some crowds, maybe some alcohol but not the louder noises like popper or whistles but I could always leave if it gets too much and go somewhere quieter or shut sound out with my own music -- I used to do that when I had to go to crowded areas like going to the supermarket. Might work for this too…But I’d probably would do the day time thing and not the night time party part.

I would find options without BUTs or with as little of them as possible. And not alone.

I dont know about you, but I find difficult to know when Its too much untill its too late.

Its a no for me. Boundaries first.

I would find options without BUTs or with as little of them as possible. And not alone.

I dont know about you, but I find difficult to know when Its too much untill its too late.

Its a no for me. Boundaries first.
That‘s true. I could see if my sibling would like to go with me. that way I am not on my own. Hopefully she will…

Tomorrow, I will be going to the museum on my own and I think that’s more of my “jam”.

If it is something that you can be in the frame of mind to enjoy, by all means, go. One thing that helped me break through my shyness was to do things that I liked, even if alone. Whether plays or festivals, getting out gave me the confidence to move through the world.

If it is something that you can be in the frame of mind to enjoy, by all means, go. One thing that helped me break through my shyness was to do things that I liked, even if alone. Whether plays or festivals, getting out gave me the confidence to move through the world.
Yes, I understand. It’s why I am going to the museum tomorrow Because that at least is something that I like doing. Maybe, I am pushing myself a bit too much with having the idea to go to Faschnacht but I do need the confidence. I will eventually be on my own and will have to do a great many things on my own.

Yes, I understand. It’s why I am going to the museum tomorrow Because that at least is something that I like doing. Maybe, I am pushing myself a bit too much with having the idea to go to Faschnacht but I do need the confidence. I will eventually be on my own and will have to do a great many things on my own.
Good going, Owliet.

Looks like a sensory challenge to say the least. But then so many public celebrations of all kinds are just that.

New Threads

Top Bottom